The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 1Ds mkIII vs Hassy H2/Leaf Aptus 65

mark1958

I went out to the Stanford Church this afternoon during lunch and tried alot of different combinations of lenses and shooting. I took a bunch of shots outside with the contax 35mm PC, schneider 28mm PC, canon 90mm TSE, canon 24-105, leica 100mm macro, canon 85mm/1.2 II and compared with the Hasselblad H2 with 35mm, 50-110, 100mm HC lenses. I went inside the church where most of the surroundings were dark with the sun coming right through the stained glass. This should be interesting for DR comparisons. Nonetheless, this is the first comparison I have looked at. Both images were taken at iso 100, f8. For the canon shot I used the 85mm 1.2 and for the hasselblad 100mm/2.2 lens. i used mirror lockup with the hasselblad but could not find the mirror lockup on the canon so not used. I am showing a resized image field and then a 100% crop. I used the same parameters in CS3 to convert. I placed the color temp and tone at 5700/-8 and you can see there are very different colors. The true color is probably in between but closer to the leaf. I should drive by again to check. I had sharpening set to 25/0.5/0.25. My conclusion is that for resolution, the two are closer than I had anticipated. However, the Leaf does give more fine detail and my playing with the images post conversion suggests you can extract alittle more fine detail from the leaf but I do not know the optimal processing for the canon yet. So will be interesting to compare with the 24-105 image as i suspect the canon 85mm 1.2 is making some difference here. I am ok if there are any problems you see with this test.

Canon 85mm f1.2mm

Hassy/Leaf 100mm HC

Canon 85mm 100% crop

Hassy/Leaf 100mm 100% crop

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark:

Thanks for posting these. Do you mind if I edit the links so folks can view them without clicking on them?

As for what you show, it's not even a question in my mind as to which is showing more and better detail...

Cheers,

mark1958

It is fine to do that... i just think the difference was not as great as i expected but perhaps you find the difference to be more substantial?

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
So Mark,

Forgetting all other cameras for a moment. Are you happy w/ how your CZ 35 PC performed on the 1Ds3?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well maybe it's just the tone or color, but it sure looks like I see more more texture in the stone...

mark1958

I agree with you that you can see more texture with the leaf ... happy to send the raw files to anyone. The focal lengths are not exactly equivalent either.

Well maybe it's just the tone or color, but it sure looks like I see more more texture in the stone...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Yeah, I saw that you left off the CZ 21, so I only asked about the CZ 35. I'm still very interested in both CZs and now the 14-24 Nikkor/2.8G (that Jim just started a thread on!)

The color concerns me. I'd happy take a copy of a raw file or two ;)
my first name period last name at gmail period com.

I'd like to see what it would take to bring it more in line w/ the leaf.

fotografz

Any time you run a comparison test it's a good idea to include a grey card in the frames.

I'm with Jack, there's no doubt which has more detail and sense of depth.

Most importantly, I think you should print the shots, and then look at them, Screen views, even at 100%, don't do MF scanned film or digital any favors.

mark1958

Here is a contax 35mm PC 100% crop and a Leaf 100% crop with the 50-110mm f8. The leaf image was downsized by about 15% to match the size of the canon shot. top leaf, bottom canon
[/url]
[/url]

Last edited:

mark1958

I have been playing around with the processing of the canon 1DsmkIII files. This is the same as the first comparison and another 100% crop. This time the temperatures were varied and the canon files were sharpened by 50/.5/50 and the leaf files 25/.5/25. Both were further sharpened using smart sharpening 100/0.3. Prior to this mild curves applied to each. So this is a comparison of a 100% crop canon with 85mm 1.2 and hasselblad 100mm/2.2 both at f8.
top image canon

fotografz

Mark, a quick look at the Histogram for the Aptus jpg showed it being off somewhat. I did a quick adjust based on the histogram.

Also, you may want to test against a bit more challenging subject ... like something with specular highlights in the shot. In my experience, this is where some differences really show up. It'd be interesting to see how the Canon does, since I already know what the Aptus can do.

Last edited:

mark1958

I do have a bunch of images that have highlights taken with the wider angle lenses but i have been so busy at work not too much time to go through them

mark1958

Here is a shot I took with the 1DsmkIII and either 35mm PC or schneider 28mm PC shifted. First the general image re-sized and then a 100% crop. It sucks i blew the highlights at the R window but even 2 stops underexposed and blown. Blown on the leaf too

mark1958

BTW... this image was pushed 1.5 stops in CS3 during raw conversion. Iso 100

I have been asked by a few for some of the RAW images. I am happy to do so if someone has a free yousenit like account and i am happy to join or post for downloade

mark1958

I realize that image i posted was taken with the schneider 28mm PC shifted not the contax 35mm PC. Here is one taken with the contax. There is a lot more detail albeit just a tad rotated

Last edited: