The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

first shoe to drop....50D announced....

LJL

For folks anxiously waiting for news of new Canon DSLRs, they just announced the 50D. At 15MP and 6.3fps speed, new Digic IV processing, etc. New sesnor with higher ISO, even at 4.7 micron pixels size (ISO 6400 and 12800 above normal 100-3200 range.) You can check the specs and brief review on Rob Galbraith's site.

Looks like the first shoe to drop, with the potential for the 5D successor announced at Photokina or just before.

LJ

(I am waiting for a new 1-series that combines 1D + 1Ds, is smaller, and threatens MF a bit more, but then I also sometimes believe in Santa :ROTFL: )

Ben Rubinstein

We all expected Canon to have 'got' it after the latest Nikon offerings but the 50D shows that they haven't worked out yet that we don't need more megapixels in a consumer body. Still no weather sealing, still no pro AF, still no proper auto ISO, etc. The 5D mkII may have an incredible chip but I won't bother, the IQ of my 2 5D's is enough for me, a pro body would have pursuaded me to upgrade, more megapixels, nah.

robmac

+1 on Ben's comments. Yet another camera targeted at the 'more MP' and 'more gadgets' crowd. Auto DoF, @#$ real-estate-wasting direct print button (though now also a function button), no MLU button, existing 40D AF, etched focus screen (argh), etc.

Good for their consumer business, but for me, not so much.

With rumors about a new team at Canon being given the mandate to gut and re-work their AF system (why they ever screwed with the existing one is beyond me) and of a big price cut coming on the 1Ds3 to narrow the expected gap between that body and the 'pending' D3x and the expected/hoped-for low-ball A900, buying into a new Canon body now makes the hair on the back of my neck stand-up.

New camera? Give me:

12-16 MP FF
Weak (ideally none, but..) AA filter
WS
Detachable grip
6-9 fps
Good AF, but it doesn't need to be bloody AI.
Auto-ISO
'Clean' up to 2000, ok up to 6400
1-2 customizable function buttons
1 button MLU
VF that I can set free of AF points, etc.
Basic LV w/Nikon quality screen for manual focus

But, I also want to win the lottery....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well this maybe only one camera being announced right now and just looking at the specs aimed smack at the beginning or so hobbyist. Wish they drop the more mpx marketing crap.

Let's see what else is announced . less than a month to go for Photokinia so times may get interesting soon here. Canon ALWAYS announces about 3 weeks before a show for the press mileage. You can almost set your watch to them. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Interesting

Outstanding, clean images
A newly designed 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor delivers ultra-detailed, low-noise images – ideal for large-scale reproduction or creative cropping. New manufacturing processes, plus redesigned photo diodes and microlenses, extend the light gathering capabilities of the sensor – allowing more pixels to be fitted on the CMOS sensor without compromising image quality. These changes ensure improved high ISO performance and low noise. High-speed, low light shooting is enabled by ISO levels of 3200, expandable to an ultra-sensitive 12800

LJL

Easy folks, may not be your ideal "cup of tea" type camera, and may not have all the things you want or need, but for a serious hobbyist/higher prosumer model, this is not such a bad set of features. Though many of us are done with the MP wars, many consumers remain enamored with that feature.

What is interesting, as Guy got to in his second post, is that this is yet another newly designed Canon sensor with some new technical features to push the envelope a bit more. The past has been a good indicator.....Canon introduces some new features into the higher end prosumer models and then migrates them up to the pro models. So maybe this new sensor tech will show up in the next 5D and beyond....cleaner, higher ISO without detail loss would be a good thing, I think.

Not defending this offering, and agree with several other posters that a few more useful changes would have been nice (weather sealing, MLU, etc.), but this is prosumer model, not their "pro" model line, so those things may not fit into their plans the same way. To be fair, the 40D AF system is not bad, so why really bother tweaking that and risking a similar 1DMkIII fiasco. All that being said, it would not be out of line to expect some of the improvements and features to show up in the next 5D and any 1-series models they may continue with at this point. Canon may not be asleep at the wheel much longer, so let's see what else they roll out. In any event, all of this is good for many folks looking for good imaging equipment that does get the job done.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Yes really the biggest news here is what I pointed out that Canon has seemed to adopt. It will most likely wind up in there higher end models. One other note to this that was glaring improvement was there LCD also. The rest just more smaller upgrade features but the bigger news is the use of micro lenses and LCD improvements and rest assured we will see more of this in the bigger camera's from them

If Canon's claim of "...ulta-detailed, low-noise images..." turns out to be true, then I would welcome the extra megapixels. The only real gripe about extra megapixels is the traditionally poorer high iso performance. I don't think you can have too many megapixels if the noise is well controlled.

I will be looking at this camera closely, but I really want to see the 5D replacement.

Mark

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Using the new 50D's micron pitch for pixels; you'd end up w/ over 30 MP 5D replacement. I don't think that's likely to happen as the current 1Ds3 isn't as many. What I think would be more likely, is not so sever a pixel pitch, and then correspondingly lower noise for higher ISO.

But the micro adjust of lenses for the 50D is kind of a nifty feature. Particularly for my ineptitude for focusing shallow depths of field.... :ROTFL:

A

asabet

According to the 50D article on Rob Galbraith's site. Chuck Westfall is claiming that improvements in microlenses and photodiode size have resulted in a 1-1.5 stop advantage over the 40D at high ISO. If true, that would put the 50D not too far off from D3/D700 performance at ISO 3200. It would be quite an advance in sensor technology!