The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three top Leica R lens picks for use on Canon FF

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woody:

My DMR is still producing excellent results for me. Rather than spend a few grand on a 5D II, I am saving for a R10. I may have a few years to save though before there is a R10 :)

Robert
Same here and I am rather glad that I have some time to save!

woodyspedden

Robert

I didn't mean you should switch to a 5DII. Only that if you did decide to go this route you should shave the mirror. It was in response to your comment that a number of R lenses "don't work" with the 5D.

Woody

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

just a simple question:

Which adapter is the best in your mind?

Thanks in advance ....

robmac

Kindai/cameraquest units $175 ish are considered the gold standard (in ensuring infinity focus) but do not carry focus confirm chips. Have a CZ unit and while nice, I still have hard time wrapping my head around the price. Novoflex units are also very spendy - and source their Leica R mount parts (ring, springs) from the same folks to sell them to Leica.

I and many folks use custom-encoded focus confirm adapters from Rudolph at happypagehk (ebay) out of HK. $70-85. Top quality, easy returns if needed (never have), fast cheap shipping.

He'll custom encode (or recode if you send it to him) the eprom to the FL and aperture you specify (e.g. "90mm F2.0") when you order. Not only does this help in EXIF for shot tracking/lens testing but also helps with more accurate auto exposure and more accurate focus confirm (lot of debate about this, but my experience is it does help).

Have tried Haoda and FotoDiox Pro as well. The FD Pro MF mamiya and Hassy adapters are great, the 35mm ones not so much (IMHO). Haoda was a complete waste. The best units are ones that use metal slot 'springs' that can be tweaked with a small flat screwdriver to ensure a nice tight fit to allow for manufacturing tolerances between the adapter and lens as well as minute wear on older lens mounts.

Some adapters use spring metal tabs which I tend to find never grip the lens well enough and are not adjustable. If you get a lens with a stiffer focus mechanism with such and adapter you can get minute but annoying as hell movement on focusing (usually on the initial start when max torque is applied) between the lens and adapter - say 2-3 degrees of rotation.

If in no rush, try a WTB ad on the Alternate Forum on FM - can usually get any used adapters for 1/2 +/- retail.

Last edited: