The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

ustein

Contributing Editor
We (Bettina + I) love macro lenses. Actually we hardly take real macro shots but we like then because they often have:

- Sharp
- Sharp corners
- Good contrast
- We can get closer than with normal lenses

One of the best macro lenses we know is the Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro. If it fits (with an effective 160mm FOV on our 60D) it is hard to beat. But often we would like to have a shorter focal length. Now we bought the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM (no IS) and this give an effective 90mm FOV. We have also the classic 50mm Macro but this lens has a very slow antiquated AF.

We are at a good start and already love this lens (lens hood coming soon). Ok IS would be welcome too.

Why not using the Panasonic 45mm Macro?

- The 60D sensor is better we think
- slow AF

Why not use the 30mm Macro on the NEX-5N?

- Slower AF
- Lens not as sharp
- 45mm effective FOF is often to wide

Larger images can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPFieldTests/Canon-EF-S-60mm-Macro/

bensonga

Wonderful images Uwe! I love the macro lenses too. I have the 100mm f2.8 (non-IS) and the 50mm f2.5 macro also. I've been wondering about the 60mm lens and it looks like a winner.

Gary

ustein

Contributing Editor
>100mm f2.8 (non-IS) and the 50mm f2.5 macro also

Me too. The 100 is stellar but has also a small angle of view. The 50mm is good optically but also slow. The 60mm is good and faster with 90mm angle of view on the 60D.

M

Melilot29

Macro lens are really worth it. I can see how the pictures turned out to be. Amazing work indeed.

GaryAyala

I found a rusting, in the process of restoration, train car at Travel Town in Griffith Park, Los Angeles.

Wide shot of my victim.

Thanks for Viewing,
Gary