The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5D Mark II

Robert Campbell

I don't need super weather sealing because I'm not shooting in those conditions. Better AF doesn't help me much because I'm shooting mostly manual focus lenses. Different strokes ... as they say ... the 5Dii has what was on my list (20+MP, live view, better LCD, dust system) for a very competitive price and I suspect there are many others like me.
I'd agree, though I don't know how useful live view will be. And if you crop a lot, the extra MP are valuable.

Ben Rubinstein

Just redone my maths, to switch entirely to Nikon with a brace of D700's, 3 flash units, whole bunch of lenses, etc would cost me after the sale of my canon gear exactly £2300 which interestingly enough is the price of the 5D mkII! Now how's that for ironic!

mazor

Just redone my maths, to switch entirely to Nikon with a brace of D700's, 3 flash units, whole bunch of lenses, etc would cost me after the sale of my canon gear exactly £2300 which interestingly enough is the price of the 5D mkII! Now how's that for ironic!
But would you though. the way Canon makes their controls is somewhat different from Nikon. Guess one could get used to a different system.

D700 seems to be the in camera, with excellent weather sealing, slightly faster default 5fps upgradeable to 8fps by adding a vertical grip and batteries. The only thing really lacking from the D700 is the ultimate resolution that the 5D mk ii offers, and of course 1080p recording, which for some will not really come into the equation.

MAzor

mazor

I'd agree, though I don't know how useful live view will be. And if you crop a lot, the extra MP are valuable.
Some say the art of photography is to be able to frame images without post cropping, ie. frame it while shooting. But I guess in reality, some find it easier to recompose on the PC. So this in turn would suit that kind of photographer.

Mazor

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Others such as Model have said the art if finding the picture in the negative.

I think both work. It was easy the recompose in the darkroom also as long as you didn't think there was something sacred about the diamissions of the paper. However, a variable framing easel and/or paper cutter fixed that.

mazor

Others such as Model have said the art if finding the picture in the negative.

I think both work. It was easy the recompose in the darkroom also as long as you didn't think there was something sacred about the diamissions of the paper. However, a variable framing easel and/or paper cutter fixed that.
Indeed,

Mabe in the future, we can just carry say a 50mm lens, and use super high resolution sensors, which we can crop in to simulate 400mm super zooms :).

Another term for cropping in images could be considered as digital zoom found in some mobile phone camera optics.

MAzor

Ben Rubinstein

The thing is that you do have to crop when shooting with primes, at least for weddings which is what I do, you are shooting moments and can't always have an exact composition in the way that you can with a zoom. On the other hand there is so much resolution and sharpness shooting a 5D and primes that as long as all the necessary detail has been resolved, you just don't need any more and you have plenty room to crop before you reach that buffer in most cases. One thing that I've learned is that shooting with top primes will bring a huge boost in resolution compared to even top L zooms. Shooting group shots with my cheap 50mm f1.4 at f5.6 absolutely creams my 24-70L for detail and contrast (and I've owned 3 copies of the zoom!) and my 85mm 1.8 is much better than that even.

It does of course boil down to your needs, if you are shooting in a controllable enviroment then you shouldn't need to crop, it's not a problem to get everything right in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in an uncontrollable situation then there is little that needs that level of resolved detail.

I do think that 12-13 megapixels is the sweet spot for a 35mm form factor DSLR, big pixels with great DR, easy to work with files and providing good glass, enough resolution to satisfy the vast majority of needs.

Last edited:

mazor

hehe true. Will be good to see if the dynamic range from the new 5d mk ii will be improved. With 14 bit, theoretically this a supposed to be the case.

Mazor

mazor

I didn't notice this link posted here: Canon 5D mkII High ISO Pictures

Clicking the images will load a large version. Apologies if this was posted here and I missed it.
Some nice samples! I like the grain of the face that ISO1600 puts on the subjects face. Cannot see much chroma noise either. That said, the images taken at high ISOs seems alot softer than the ISO800 shot, but still very usable. I have noticed though on the ISO800 shot, the hair has become water colored. Personally I would prefer noise grain over this.

Mabe Canon will see this and correct it in the final release 5d mk ii

Mazor

Terry

Chris. The irony in your comment is that for one week every year most New Yorkers wish we didn't live here and this is that week. The UN General Assembly is in session and we have all the world leaders with their staff and security trying to get around the city. Charming!

Last edited:

Homey

I have searched and have not found what I need to know.

After thinking about it. I may be able to use the video part of this camera more than I originally thought.
Does anyone know if you can shoot unlimited amounts of video or is this a 30 second clip camera??

Thanks

Steven

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steven:

Somebody will surely have the exact spec, but I think I remember reading it's 4 GB chunks which translate to roughly 3 minutes or so of full res video at one time... So a 16G card and you could basically have 12 minutes of video.

Dale Allyn

Steven:

Some of the details are addressed Here. Michael R. mentions a 13 minute limit due to the 4GB FAT 32 file size limitation. I suppose that firmware updates may address this. His remarks pertain to a pre-production sample of the camera.

Homey

Thanks Jack and Dale..
I checked out the review and sample vid he had up.

I think it will be fine for shooting what I need it to. I do some weddings with the Canon GL2 so this would make a good companion camera and it would be way easier to use on location shoots. 1 less camera bag to cart around and keep track of..
Looks like i'll be getting one as soon as I can. I guess I also need to upgrade my computer to handle the file size when editing..
And being able to plug the card into the card reader is a lot easier than transferring form the camera.