The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I honestly wonder if Canon has lost their minds?

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I have to get this sorted out soon, I have weddings starting up again in early 2008.
Rumor has Canon announcing something Jan 24th.
But if it IS a 5D replacement, it's unlikely we'd see it until after Weddings Crashers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Season, is in full swing. So your choices will likely be the 1D3, 1Ds3, the old stuff, and the M line-up (plus all your wonderful Medium/Large format gear).

Hank Graber

Thanks Hank !!! I'm letting Leica take one more crack at all this ... then if that fails DAG will have to be the answer. I will not be a happy camper to shell out more cash on this system, but now I'm in so deep I have to get it spot on.

My intent was to really get back to M work for my wedding photography like I did with film Ms ... and not have to rely on DSLRs so much, which affected my style in a negative way.

I have to get this sorted out soon, I have weddings starting up again in early 2008.
With the rebirth of Leica with the M8 not only is Leica service swamped but the good independent guys are backed up as well. Better stay after Leica and if you need DAG for what ever is still not up to snuff call Don at DAG and explain your situation.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

Just curious as to where you've ended up in the should I or shouldn't I get a 1Ds3 question? I know you want it to be a different camera than it is, but I think my question for you is more like is it going to be better than other alternatives?

Cheers,

fotografz

Marc:

Just curious as to where you've ended up in the should I or shouldn't I get a 1Ds3 question? I know you want it to be a different camera than it is, but I think my question for you is more like is it going to be better than other alternatives?

Cheers,
No answer yet Jack. So, when in doubt, wait.

My M8s are in Leica Limbo, and I'll wait until they get back to worry about what to do regarding the Canon. I swear, I cannot recall spending so much time on dealing with the means to take photos instead of spending it on taking photos.

Maybe I'll just dump the whole works for a brace of M7s along with the 203FE and go back to shooting film for weddings ... LOL.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Waiting isn't bad. Plus, w/ newer firmware releases, some of the issues you may have had might be cleared up. Not likely, but you never know.

Firmware updates are usually good things, and 1.0.6 was just released for the 1Ds3.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
My M8s are in Leica Limbo,
Maybe I'll just dump the whole works.

Hey Marc,

You should DEFINITELY dump the M8's. :D Specifically, around say May of 2008. :D Clearly they are nothing but problems. Do you have one that's chrome? :D

...and the buzzards begin to circle. :ROTFL:

-C

Last edited:

fotografz

LOL ... into the abyss of contradiction I descend.

My Canon dealer called with an 1DsMKIII offer I couldn't refuse ... and I just can't do a wedding without two DSLRs ... so I went for it ... Hahahahahahahahahahahahah ...

It's me who has lost his mind, not Canon.

Will report back on my take (after I secretly write actions to manipulate the files : -)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc: I know I can say this without prejudice now: You are total gear whore! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

:D,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guilty as charged your honor.

How much is bail?

Hope it isn't more than 5 bucks 'cause I'm tapped out : -)

(P.S., Big gear sale coming up !)

Well, truth be told, if I fined you it'd be a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Marc,

Man, you really are a gear whore!! :wtf: Less than 24 hours ago you told me that you'd decided NOT to upgrade to the 1DSMark111 as the Hassy had more than satisfied than nitch!! :cussing: You sure are the right guy to get opinions from !! :angry: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: Sheeesh, I haven't even pulled the trigger on a digital back yet and you've already supplied your own store ! You must get really nice Christmas cards (?) from several manufacturers !! ;)

Having said all that, boy am I ever jealous ! :grin: But at least I know your weather sucks ! :D

Look forward to hearing your impressions, and know you'll have a great time doing so.

Cheers :salute:,

Jim

ps It's now time to go ahead and get the Alpa to use with that Aptus 75s !!

fotografz

Marc,

Man, you really are a gear whore!! :wtf: Less than 24 hours ago you told me that you'd decided NOT to upgrade to the 1DSMark111 as the Hassy had more than satisfied than nitch!! :cussing: You sure are the right guy to get opinions from !! :angry: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: Sheeesh, I haven't even pulled the trigger on a digital back yet and you've already supplied your own store ! You must get really nice Christmas cards (?) from several manufacturers !! ;)

Having said all that, boy am I ever jealous ! :grin: But at least I know your weather sucks ! :D

Look forward to hearing your impressions, and know you'll have a great time doing so.

Cheers :salute:,

Jim

ps It's now time to go ahead and get the Alpa to use with that Aptus 75s !!
Hey Jim, I could have just kept quiet about it (wink,wink) ...

When I got home from freezing Miami to balmy Michigan there was a message from my long time Canon dealer and his discount was so good I couldn't resist. Guess he didn't want me to jump ship. Fortunately, there was also a message from a fellow who wanted to buy my SWC kit, which helped.

Believe me, I do not confuse any 35mm DSLR with MF Digital. My main application of the Canon stuff is wedding work almost exclusively. Low light, f/1.2 & f/1.4 optics, high ISO, fast AF candid work. IQ is somewhat secondary to those criteria. And as any wedding shooter will tell you, you HAVE to have 2 of everything.

Much as I drool over the ALPA, sadly I just don't have the application for one. I don't do landscape or city scape work at all (I leave that to the passionate experts). If I did, I'd be all over the ALPA & digital back. But business comes first.

So, I may be selling the brand new Aptus 75s, and if so will list it here first at a very, very nice forum price ... including a new Mamiya AFD-II kit thrown in. Those with an RZ system will also get an adapter for that camera. ALPA makes a Mamiya adapter Jim ... ( wink, wink ). Stand by!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So, I may be selling the brand new Aptus 75s, and if so will list it here first at a very, very nice forum price ... including a new Mamiya AFD-II kit thrown in. Those with an RZ system will also get an adapter for that camera. ALPA makes a Mamiya adapter Jim ... ( wink, wink ). Stand by!
Oh crap.... Better start evaluating my funds-available status!

:D,

W

workingcamera

When I got home from freezing Miami to balmy Michigan there was a message from my long time Canon dealer and his discount was so good I couldn't resist. Guess he didn't want me to jump ship.
Nicely played Marc!

Take note folks very shrewd work indeed:D