The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The new Canon G1X

Terry

Re: The new G1X

For me I look at this and compare to the Fuji X10

bigger sensor - check
slower lens - more than 2 stops at the long end negates a bunch of sensor size advantage
viewfinder - not discussed anywhere (so doesn't bode well)

I guess the answer is wait and see.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

The larger sensor is really impressive!

The fact that you cannot change lenses and the built in lens is really slow, is a clear MINUS - at least for me ...

The fact that I used to shoot the G10 and was absolutely disappointed by its OVF (far away from being somehow accurate plus really dark) makes me wonder if the G1X will do better .... why not an EVF at least with the quality of the V1 ???

jonoslack

Golly - the plot thickens - and everything has an X in the name!
It's rather nice to have another camera that I simply don't want!

all the best

Diane B

Me too LOL. I'm sitting back and watching but with what's coming out I suspect if I moved to another small system/camera it would be a NEX.

Golly - the plot thickens - and everything has an X in the name!
It's rather nice to have another camera that I simply don't want!

all the best

Diane B

Found small description of "tunnel" OVF in dpreview hands on preview. Same ol' I had way back when I had the first Canon G1 and the G9 my husband has now--or thereabouts--no contest with the terrific EVFs out now. No appeal for me in any way but I suspect it will sell nonetheless as Canon has plenty of wherewithall to promote that "larger than m4/3 sensor, not much smaller than DSLR sensors". The slow lens, as Terry says, negates a lot of that advantage.

For me I look at this and compare to the Fuji X10

bigger sensor - check
slower lens - more than 2 stops at the long end negates a bunch of sensor size advantage
viewfinder - not discussed anywhere (so doesn't bode well)

I guess the answer is wait and see.

Lars

Seems competent. 534g heft. Slow lens.

Canon engineer:
"We need a bigger sensor, lets try putting one into the G12! Now where's my shoe horn?
Hmm flash gets in the way... we could maybe fit a popup flash on the left side?
But then where does the comp dial go? Let's get rid of the ISO dial.
Then let ISO settings replace self timer and bury self timer in a menu."

Actually not bad design choices.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Cannot understand why Canon cannot manage to make this camera really decent .

1) faster lens
2) EVF (at least 1.4M)
3) etc......

and then try their market (which should be there) and if success make a interchangeable lens model .....

????????

ustein

Contributing Editor
Lets first have a look at the image quality. If the quality rocks I forgive many UI issues.

Features and ND filter which is great for video.

sagar

I would not write off so early. It depends on in which category you put this for comparison. Based on MRP and its G Series ethos, if I compare it with Nikon Coolpix, GRD, Olympus XZ and so on, then G1X definitely has lot of thing to go for it.

If you look at it as an alternative to NEX, m4/3 which it is not, then its a problem

ggibson

Pretty cool camera. Seems like a Panasonic GX1 or G3 with the 14-42 X lens would be a comparable package. I'd lean towards the interchangeable lens systems, but I can understand if you have a DSLR kit with lens investment already then you might just want the all-in-one small camera.

Let's see the low light and dynamic range performance.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me it all would depend on how good and accurate the OVF is. In the G10 it was unacceptably inaccurate. If it is the same then forget the whole camera. If it is decent, then it becomes more interesting .....

PS1: I would not care about great IQ, if the framing does not work.

PS2: I cannot understand why a technology leading company like Canon cannot put a great EVF in this camera

PS3: I also was pretty upset by the menu system of the G10, so if this is not substantially better, then this is another reason to forget

PS-final: clearly shows if you once upset a customer totally with a product, it is pretty hard to win him/her back .....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am actually pretty disappointed by all those ISO100 or 200 samples, not only Canon but also other vendors, which should be good because this is the sweet spot of all sensors. Could do as well same IQ from my iPhone ....

Further it was shot under "studio like" lightning, what should go wrong here? I usually almost never have the luxury of such lightning in my daily shooting.

At least IS seems to work - did actually not expect anything else from Canon.

Finally - was this really the image the photographer could see through the OVF ?????

momo

waiting on image quality before making a decision...and some reviews, both user reviews and photographer/site reviews...if the quality, raw image quality isn't up there then the rest don't matter...

will also wait to hold it in a store, use it if possible, make sure i like how it feels in hand, see how the weight is, the size etc. in real life...

I hate view finders, ovf or evf's, so that don't bug me...I want the camera for the swiveling lcd...i prefer shooting from waist/stomach/chest level and using the lcd to frame...hold the cam against my body to stabilize as best as possible...that said, i wouldn't have complained about an excellent view finder for all of you who want one...

f2.0 would have been nice, but i can live with 2.8...

24mm would have been better, but can live with 28mm...

i'll wait a while, for the reviews, maybe for the price to come down a bit too...no rush...this will replace my aging but still quite good canon a630 as my go everywhere camera...

i can see this kind of body being the jump off point for canon to give us a miLc...maybe later this year, maybe next...

ok, i just wanted to chime in...

Last edited:

Rawfa

I was about to post this link. These high iso samples are incredible. If only this camera had AT LEAST an f2.0 lens.