The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 5DII Strategy?

mark1958

The discussion of the 5DII is very interesting and important. As the members of this forum and others get ahold of the RAW files, it will be of interest to see how the camera performs in comparison to the 5D. I guess I am worried alittle about the final product IQ---- . I have a 1DsmkIII and 5D. I use the 5D primarily for traveling and in these cases landscapes, city shooting is the primary purpose of the camera. I also tend to use it around the house to take snapsnots. I have kept the 1DsmkIII for fast action shooting as I still like shooting birds and widlife from time to time. However, since most of my photography has switched over to my medium format setup, I just am not sure how much longer to hand on to all this canon equipment.

So here is what I was wondering. Sell the 5D, 1DsmkIII and get a 5DII and 50D, the later being mostly for those fast action shooting in the long tele range. The question is whether or not this would be a good move or not. The 50D is likely a good camera (used the 40D) still not a series 1 in regards to focus and fps.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It sounds good logically, but I'd probably wait and see what the 5DII files actually look like before making the move.

mark1958

Jack thanks after reading the posts in the other thread that is what I am going to plan on doing. I think it is hard to make too much from the example jpg files that canon or others have provided at this point.

It sounds good logically, but I'd probably wait and see what the 5DII files actually look like before making the move.

Ben Rubinstein

There is also the question of whether one needs or can reliably shoot with a 21 megapixel camera, especially for street work. I don't know what kind of lenses and handholding technique are needed to actualise that kind of resolution but I would be surprised if the mkII was actually needed for it. Just thinking out loud though...

LJL

Mark,
Waiting to see the actual IQ is probably a good idea. If you are already shooting the 1DsMkIII, things should not be too far off. Maybe better higher ISO performance, but nobody really knows that for sure yet.

I am still shooting a couple 1DMkII cameras for my speed needs, and a 1DsMkII for higher resolution stuff. I did not move up to the MkIII series, as I was both bothered by the AF glitches, and was unconvinced there was that much of a gain for the cost. I have thought about the 5DMkII/50D pairing also, but the only thing holding me back is the weatherproofness of them compared to what I now use. (I get caught in pretty heavy rains at times, and the 1-series have never missed a beat for me. Not sure about the 5DMkII/50D capabilities there, but the lowered weight and cost would sure be nice to help fund the MF side of things also.)

If the IQ is as good as folks hope, and you can live with the other things (maybe slower AF, but you already have a 5D so you know what this is like, and the 5DMkII may be a bit faster due to the new Digic iV processor), I think the 5DMkII/50D combo would be a good choice for what you are describing. I think the 50D is probably fast enough for all but higher speed sports shooting. Should be fine for birding with longer glass. The 5DMkII as a street camera should not be a problem. Will handle the wider glass nicely. Not sure how fast you need it to be, but it will be faster than any MF you might shoot.

Again, not a bad combo to cover a lot of ground, and a lot less costly. Just need to get it into working hands for a good shakedown. The files should be much like what you get now.

LJ

mark1958

I have to agree with all said. I will wait to see the image quality issues. I am not bothered by the 5DII as a street camera (21meg files) because even when i travel for work, if it is a good photo area will sometimes bring a tripod. I will also have to see how much I will save using this strategy. Selling a 5D + 1dsmkIII minus a 50D+5DII.

E

EJRichter

Mark
Sell the 5D, 1DsmkIII and get a 5DII and 50D, I believe it would be a good move. The reason being I have thought this scenario out myself as I will most likely be doing the same thing as you.

Erik Five

I tested it about three weeks ago. Two days after it was announced I think. I really liked it. I thought I was going to switch system, but I will hold on to my Canon equipment and I also have an order in for the 5D mkII. I will be the first to receive it from my pro store :) Going to have that and the 5D as a backup. I dont like the 1 series. To bulky for me. I really like that the 5D mkII also has 10MP sRAW...

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Also in the middle of doing the same thing. Sold last Nikon body this week, bought an XSI and got the 50D last week. Now saving my pennies for late Nov release of 5D2. If images at DPR are any value, the 5D2 seems very nice as my main travel landscape body. 50D for wildlife, sports during day. Suggest downloading a few of the images available and playing, it is worth the paper and ink to make prints and see if this is right for you. Not all the samples are of great quality, but overall you will get an impression of what this can do....jmho...

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
For me, I do not want to carry a longer lens for most travel then my 70-300mm IS USM, nor does a converter offer a good solution. Cropping a 5D2 image down loses too much information for my posters... all things being equal. If I didn't mind the longer lenses or converters and for some, I am sure this is the case, then using only the 5d2 might be the best solution....lots of compromising in life, and this is no different...picks you partner and dance...

mazor

Don Weston, I think for traveling, the 50D would suit you better than a 5d mk ii, It has excellent resolution and allows for a lighter travel set of lens, thanks to its crop factor you get extra free tele. And for your landscape shots, just bring along a 10-22mm EF-s lens to achieve extremely wide landscape shots. Also for traveling, it can be handy having a built in flash, rather than having to carry and extra flash.

The only real reason for going full frame 5dii, is for those who are just used to film, or want the new 1080p video recording feature or most importantly, want the best pixel IQ possible by having a bigger sensor.

but I am not sure the IQ difference between the 50D and 5dmkii would be that different except at high ISO. I have compared the Nikon D300 1.5x crop vs the D3 full frame, and at lower ISOs, both cameras do remarkably similar.

MAzor

mark1958

I really prefer the full frame for most of my shooting. I take my 5D when i travel around. So that is the issue for me. With the problems I have been reading about the 50D--- probably will wait and see how the 5DII performs before deciding. Mark