The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5D Mark III announced, your thoughts

fotografz

Got to agree, unless the image quality is mind blowing I wouldn't buy in to this.
Plus i'd never go off the horrible image samples Nikon or any company for that matter post on their web sites. I will be interested to see what real world use shows us in terms of how the 5D MKIII and D800 perform. I'm willing to bet there's almost nothing in it when the ink hits the paper. All and all another ho hum couple of announcements, really.
Not quite true, there have been in-depth reviews by pro level shooters of both the D800 and 5D-II already published ... people familiar with the systems who've been living with the cameras for months ... not some company camera tech shooting around the office where they work that you may be referring to.

-Marc

fotografz

Buying back in again to 35 this is not very exciting to me. Maybe it's just me.
Same here, nothing more boring than buying out of necessity as opposed to passion ...get the stuff, check it, toss it in the bag, it's there when you need it ... zero connection.

I'll probably use the A900 until it crumbles in my hands ... unless Sony does a very high ISO FF camera with a OVF ... which will probably be never. Glad to be out of the Canon/Nikon camp and into the AF Zeiss camp. Heck, it took forever to get stellar copies of each ZA lens, and I just cringe doing all that agian with some other brand.

Have fun slugging it out in the Canon/Nikon 100 year war :banghead::deadhorse::poke::loco:

dseelig

Well after reading this many of you are not journalist types for me the upgraded af is huge . I do not know about more megapixels but this is a great specs for a street dslr day or night. I am hoping the leica m10 will be this kind of camera instead of a landscape camera. If I was still a full time music shooter this camera I would own to mof 6 fps for concert work is perfect and low light and good af is a photo journalists dream. Yes I own 24 35 50 85 135 l and yet still need good high iso . Look on my website under personal work in New orleans plenty of 6400 f1.4 shots . I carry a mk 1v for clubs when I would rather have something smaller the 5d mk11 was unusable in that situation.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Can't remember sorry but I read that the 5D3 still can only spot meter at center point, unlike the 1 series. One of the things that has almost pushed me off to Nikon many times.
Not time to read the entire thread, but if no once else has covered this, the metering system is actually quite a step up, and can base the exposure on what points are in focus by all points of the focusing system, be it one or several. Can't wait to test it ... sounds like it will actually handle situations like extreme backlighting, etc.

There is a LOT of new stuff (read about the design of the sensor closely) in this body ... it will hit the sweet spot for a lot of different types of shooters.

bensonga

I'm beginning to feel like a real Luddite.....I have grown very sceptical that all this whiz bang technology (61 point autofocus etc etc) will actually work as promised. There have been too many claims of "New and Improved!" in the past that did not pan out in the real world. I hope I'm wrong.......because I would really like to see Canon succeed with this camera (and the 1Dx).

Gary

Uaiomex

I'm passing. Too little, too late, too pricy. Some very important features missing. 22mp is ok though.
Eduardo

pophoto

I'm passing. Too little, too late, too pricy. Some very important features missing. 22mp is ok though.
Eduardo
There's actually a lot in this camera, although I think upgrade to any new camera should come out of necessity rather than lust :p

I wonder what important features are actually missing, since it is better than the last generation of cameras in every single way possible, I'm not a video guy, would it be something there? However, the pricey part, I definitely agree with, should be in line with before!

kuau

Workshop Member
To bad no "E" model no AA filter.
22mp with no AA filter would have been nice.
I think Canon is really focusing on Video....

pophoto

To bad no "E" model no AA filter.
22mp with no AA filter would have been nice.
I think Canon is really focusing on Video....
I think it is nice to offer a camera to shoot both stills and video. It can also be said that Nikon and Canon have come a long way to combine the two into one camera with many features to find a good balance, and with little sacrifice. Although the D800E now offers features in video and still dept., yet offers AA cancelling filter and also clean HDMI feed whereas the 5D MkIII doesn't!

With that said, I personally only want a camera to shoot great stills and no video. Neither seem to want to offer that alone!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The price will likely take care of itself once the initial rush is past and the 5DII inventory is depleted.
I couldn't say anything until today, but the 5D Mark 2 is not being discontinued and the price has been lowered to $2199 as of today. It remains in the channel. Canon still feels there is high demand for this camera in some segments. same strategy as Nikon and d700.

spotmeter

The Canon 5D Mark II is a good camera. To get the best out of it you need good lenses (zooms) and they cost and are big/heavy. The same holds true for the Mark III.

Why would anyone bother to spend $3500 to get one more megapixel of resolution over the 5D2? Especially when Nikon just came out with a 36MP camera without an AA filter?

Looks like the brain-deads have gained the upper hand at Canon.

Fortunately, I purchased a lot of the Zeiss primes when they first came out in Nikon mounts. Now I can dump the Canon adapters and get the most out of the lenses with the new D800E.

fotografz

The Canon 5D Mark II is a good camera. To get the best out of it you need good lenses (zooms) and they cost and are big/heavy. The same holds true for the Mark III.

Why would anyone bother to spend $3500 to get one more megapixel of resolution over the 5D2? Especially when Nikon just came out with a 36MP camera without an AA filter?

Looks like the brain-deads have gained the upper hand at Canon.

Fortunately, I purchased a lot of the Zeiss primes when they first came out in Nikon mounts. Now I can dump the Canon adapters and get the most out of the lenses with the new D800E.
Maybe a lot of "brain dead" photographers don't want a 36 meg 35mm DSLR ... are satisfied with 22 meg, but would prefer a 5 series camera with better AF, dual card slots, better metering, better LCD, ect. etc. Whether that is worth $3,500 to Canon shooters remains to be seen.

BANKER1

Marc,

It's not worth $3,500.00 to this Canon shooter. I was waiting to purchase the next 5D iteration, but I'm going to pass on this one. Time will have to tell whether the metering and better AF actually work as advertised. Who cares about dual card slots and better LCD?

Greg

fotografz

Marc,

It's not worth $3,500.00 to this Canon shooter. I was waiting to purchase the next 5D iteration, but I'm going to pass on this one. Time will have to tell whether the metering and better AF actually work as advertised. Who cares about dual card slots and better LCD?

Greg
Wedding shooters care. Corporate and event shooters care. Portrait shooters care. Kid photographers care. Pet photographers care. That is a major market for this camera, and I'd say the 5D/5D-II is the most used camera for these applications in the history of that industry segment. Reaction on the DWF (one of the world's largest Wedding/Portrait Photographer's sites) is looking quite positive ...lots of comments like "the perfect wedding camera". Jeff Ascough, one of the top wedding shooters in the world was a beta tester, and has written and illustrated a blog touting that the camera lives up to the hype. I know him, and if he says so, it is usually on the money.

Whether Canon have mis-priced this camera is TBD. Since they are devoting two factories to production, they seem to have pre-deterimned demand ... if that is a mis-calculation, it will be revealed in the coming year.

BTW, the same caveats can be said about the Nikon D800 ... time will tell whether those features reach up to the promise that the marking touts. Wedding shooters are far less impressed with the D800 so far.

I do not have a horse in this race ... but if I did, my application driven money would go to Canon ... a 1DX and a 5D-III with some f/1.2 lenses.

However, my pair of Sony A900s are more than enough. So I will remain just a casual observer of the 100 year Canon/Nikon war :watch:

-Marc

Giorgio

I pre ordered, I need this camera.
I need the dual card slots (wish they were both CF).
I think the improved AF will be great.
I like the locking control nob.
I like the improved LCD.
I don't need more mega-pixels in 35mm.
I like the improved sensor and processors.

For my purposes Canon addressed a lot of my concerns and improved the camera significantly. I also pre ordered the 24/70L II for the same reason.

This camera will be a welcome addition to my tool chest, and I will use when I think it fits the assignment. The original 5D was great, the 5DII was great, the 5DIII looks like a winner too.

Works for me, literally!

jonoslack

Whether Canon have mis-priced this camera is TBD. Since they are devoting two factories to production, they seem to have pre-deterimned demand ... if that is a mis-calculation, it will be revealed in the coming year.

BTW, the same caveats can be said about the Nikon D800 ... time will tell whether those features reach up to the promise that the marking touts. Wedding shooters are far less impressed with the D800 so far.

I do not have a horse in this race ... but if I did, my application driven money would go to Canon ... a 1DX and a 5D-III with some f/1.2 lenses.

However, my pair of Sony A900s are more than enough. So I will remain just a casual observer of the 100 year Canon/Nikon war :watch:

-Marc
Me Too
always entertaining, and nice that it's not expensive!

I'm inclined to agree with you though - the 5dMIII is just the cameras for events/weddings etc. where you don't really need more resolution, and you certainly don't need the extra processing time that entails. My only doubt is how many such shooters need to spend the extra money to update their (already functional) 5DmII.

The Nikon 800 is a more adventurous camera though, and needs to find a place in the market.

bensonga

My only doubt is how many such shooters need to spend the extra money to update their (already functional) 5DmII.
My friend at the camera store here in Alaska said some of the people who had preordered a 5D Mark III months ago have called to cancel their order. They have received very few new orders since the 5D3 was announced. Not a good sign for Canon on this one.

I will buy one if the real world autofocus performance is roughly equivalent to a 1D4 and when the price drops to $3k or less. For me, something in the 20-24mp range on a FF sensor seems like the "sweet spot".

Gary

pophoto

My friend at the camera store here in Alaska said some of the people who had preordered a 5D Mark III months ago have called to cancel their order. They have received very few new orders since the 5D3 was announced. Not a good sign for Canon on this one.

I will buy one if the real world autofocus performance is roughly equivalent to a 1D4 and when the price drops to $3k or less. For me, something in the 20-24mp range on a FF sensor seems like the "sweet spot".

Gary
I've cancelled mine elsewhere too, and ordered from B&H, and have done likewise with other places that help ship faster like amazon.com. Personally I don't think this means a lot! These are isolated local regions, and doesn't express the whole picture globally! Just my opinion!

bensonga

The impression I have is that these people cancelled because they were disappointed with the price or camera itself, not because they could get the camera sooner from an online retailer......otherwise, why bother pre-ordering from the local shop in the first place?

Generally speaking, people here order from the one and only local camera shop in order to support the local business. Most of the photographers I know who buy locally don't switch to an online store just because they could get it a little sooner or for a few dollars cheaper.

The key point (which I didn't mention in the first post) is that there were no similar cancellations for the 1Dx, D4 or D800.

Gary

pophoto

The impression I have is that these people cancelled because they were disappointed with the price or camera itself, not because they could get the camera sooner from an online retailer......otherwise, why bother pre-ordering from the local shop in the first place?

Generally speaking, people here order from the one and only local camera shop in order to support the local business. Most of the photographers I know who buy locally don't switch to an online store just because they could get it a little sooner or for a few dollars cheaper.

The key point (which I didn't mention in the first post) is that there were no similar cancellations for the 1Dx, D4 or D800.

Gary
I can definitely understand that. It seems to me on paper the D800 is more value for money since both the Nikon and Canon have increased in price and this is purely that Nikon is now offering video and much much higher MP. Where as Canon with the Mark III seems like the same camera but just better!

My point is that while most people who have cancelled for a variety of reasons at your local camera shop, it still doesn't represent the camera sales globally. I can still ponder that sales of the 5D Mark III will sell more than the 1DX and D4 overall. If I'm wrong.... well shocking! :p

Even though I have pre-ordered the Camera myself, even I feel it is a steep climb in price, especially in this economy! My wife just told me not to sell my 5D Mark 2 because she'd like a camera that's her's to use if I'm out with the Mark III. I mean the 5D2 is still a good camera, if the new ones are too steep! Hence why both Nikon and Canon will still continue the last generation line for both cameras.