The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Maybe it is time for a Canon 3D, what say you?

pophoto

So Canon made the move to remain with 22MP (or 1MP up from 5D Mark II), and a lot of people have lost faith whether they can believe in the AF and metering system, and if the weather proofing now warrants the Camera to be $3500 up from $2700 for the 5D2 upon release.
Note the 5D Mark III is currently Amazon.com's No. 1 seller!

Surely a lot remains to be seen, even with the D800/E. But lets just forget that Nikon for now, forget Nikon even exists!

Is it time for a higher MP Canon 3D (the name, not stereo 3D) Photographer's dream camera, those who are Canon shooters in general or just have a lot of Canon glass?

Balanced pixel pitch to be close to 5microns for dynamic range, and high ISO Noise balance.
High MP camera for details with no AA filter option.
Dual Digic 5+ chip with the same 1DX processing.

Lets forget price for now, do you want it ALL from Canon? What says you?:LOL:

fotografz

That the 5D-III is already Amazon's #1 seller seems to reveal that Canon knows their market. Many Canon shooters already see this as their "Dream" camera on other application driven web-sites.

This site is a bit weighted toward those who favor a higher meg capture for their applications, and I'd guess is the top private MFD site in the world (or close to it) for just that reason.

So, the question really is, do a majority of Canon users, considering their applications, want or need a much higher res camera? ... and if Canon were to make one, how many would actually sell in relationship to development costs?

As I've read further about the 5D-III the more impressed I am with all of the practical innovations they have added ... real world stuff to assist the photographer in almost every imaginable manner.

In the end, we have absolutely no idea what Canon may do, or whether they have something totally different coming to capture the high-res "Studio" or Landscape market ... or those mesmerized by sheer meg count. ?????

-Marc

pophoto

Personally I have no hesitation to jump on the 5DIII bandwagon, since I know what I am getting myself into. IQ as good if not better than the 5DII and with everything we wanted the 5DII to begin with. Now, that's a big deal when you know how good it can be. What I personally don't understand is what they are offering compared to a lot of negative response from 5DII users, since they are truly hitting all the key notes of what we wanted!

While on large prints it may not live up to close-up inspection detail for extreme resolution alone, I don't expect it to be that. What made me fall in love with the Canon 5D2 and f1.2 lenses in the first place is the artistic rendering not offered by any camera system. It will be a workhorse camera like you said Marc, to a lot of professional photographers, and not just for sheer resolution, but certainly good enough. I think I would love a camera for very specifics need that specifically detail orientated to the best it can be. The same is said for a lightweight pocket-able camera, it has its specific needs, but lets not go there, since we're talking upper market DSLRs now over $3K, I used to say mid-market :p

I love what this site is and what's being shared both artistically and technically, but as human beings, bigger is better seems like something we cannot escape, even if we try to bury it deep in our minds!

Thanks
Po

Tony

That the 5D-III is already Amazon's #1 seller seems to reveal that Canon knows their market. Many Canon shooters already see this as their "Dream" camera on other application driven web-sites.

This site is a bit weighted toward those who favor a higher meg capture for their applications, and I'd guess is the top private MFD site in the world (or close to it) for just that reason.

So, the question really is, do a majority of Canon users, considering their applications, want or need a much higher res camera? ... and if Canon were to make one, how many would actually sell in relationship to development costs?

As I've read further about the 5D-III the more impressed I am with all of the practical innovations they have added ... real world stuff to assist the photographer in almost every imaginable manner.

In the end, we have absolutely no idea what Canon may do, or whether they have something totally different coming to capture the high-res "Studio" or Landscape market ... or those mesmerized by sheer meg count. ?????

-Marc
Hey Marc,
You may be right about the improvements of the new 5D but I don't see it ever out selling the D800.
6 days later it is currently at #3 and the D800 is in at #1 followed by the Nikon 3100 at #2. After the initial release of the 5DIII it spiked on amazon but has faded since.

Cheers,
Tony