The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 5D Mark III

pophoto

It really seems like there is no love in the forum or anywhere for that matter for this camera, yet I love it so much and feel it is close to being perfect! Anyways, I want to share a few of my photos from Kaua'i I made with my family a couple of weeks ago. The camera arrived one day before I set off for my vacation.

My photos may be "meh," but trust me when I say I enjoy this camera a lot!

So in no particular order: Panoramics taken on my 2nd last day in the 3 hours given to me, before I was set to meet back with wife and 2 year old for lunch :)

Thanks,
Po

Last edited:

malmac

Hi Po

I like your images, beautiful part of the world.

As a user of a 5D Mk2, glad to hear you are loving the camera.

Cheers

Mal

T

Troubled Bison

Gorgeous shots!

I haven't had a chance to really break mine in yet outside of a wedding a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to getting some landscape shots soon.

mazor

nice images pophoto, what software do you use to do the panorama stitching?

Colors are very Canon! I still using my 5D mk i from time to time, and whenever I do, it is a very satisfying experience especially when reviewing and post processing, seeing the amazing IQ of every pixel captured

pophoto

Thank you Bison, Marc and Mazor. I appreciate the kind words.

Marc , I guess we were lucky to be there! My first visit to Maui, my wife was one month with our first baby. Few years later, now in Kaua'i, my wife was one month with second child! I'm guess, we need a break from Hawaii :)

Mazor: I use Photoshop CS5 for the stitching, which is a no brainer exercise and makes life that much easier and a joy to use. Color are a tweak I made with HDR shots with Nik software, edging on natural but pushed slightly.

Unfortunately I had to skip the chopper ride to center of the island where others have shown how breathtaking it can be, but otherwise an enjoyable and pleasant trip.

pophoto

It is OFFICIAL:

The Canon 5D Mark III cannot focus well under slightly under lit conditions. Day time outdoors, well lit indoors is fine!

I will elaborate on this comment a little later, however, I felt like flinging the camera into the air today!

pophoto

So yesterday afternoon in San Leandro (CA), we took our son to another friend's 1st Birthday party. This was inside a childrens play center with multiple large rooms for different parties. The lighting was moderate, but enough you can see everyone and everything, you know, it's a kids party!

With the 5D Mark II, and using the center single focus point, focusing in much worse lighting was never a problem. However, with the 5D Mark III, this is a problem with moderate lighting. I wonder for you wedding photographers out there, how much of a problem you have had. I'm not being paid to shoot, but if I were, this would be a huge headache.

More over, the AI-servo (Continuous) mode and focus assist on the Speedlite 600EX-RT is another issue. It will not work, but those of you who are long time Canon users will already know this. Since this was apparently so with the Mark II and the 580 Speedlite or any speedlite. This will only work in single shot mode. So yes, with a flash you will get focus assist, but not for continuous shooting. No improvements here.

My biggest gripe is still in moderate to poor lighting, my 5D Mark III with 50mm f/1.2L will not lock focus. In fact, it will barely even hunt. Under good lighting, this is a non issue, and you will never wonder about this. High ISO noise handles beautifully in my opinion, but what's the point if AF cannot lock in the conditions it was designed for use.

Why oh why? I was extremely aggravated by this, and decided it will just go back into my bag and just spend my time playing with my son instead, which I really should have at the beginning!

pophoto

As I am re-reading the AF system literature for the 1DX, I am trying to evaluate if it is indeed users error for my findings. However, I must say, the lighting conditions, I wouldn't have deemed difficult at all for the 5D Mark 2, just out of the bag.

I like to use the single point spot focus, and make sure focus on the chosen eye of my subject. However, in low lighting I may have to use the expansion assist modes. Obviously I am still trying to work out this camera, in more varied conditions, and welcome any other user findings to add to the discussion. Frustration, as it may, if I find a solution, I think this will be one of the best cameras I have used. The Nikon D700 was very good. I only found it somewhat heavy and could do with a little more pixels. These are subject to me, but I am finding the Canon 5D3 to be fitting most of the bill!