The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D, Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8

M

markdeyoung

Great discussion in the 1Ds MKIII test, bit nit-pickly sometimes but I suppose ‘god is in the details’ and all that. I'm going with Jack, Guy and Ralph on holding off on MK III, doesn’t seem worth the money for the advancements. But like the wedding guy, fotografz I think it was, I need to make an acquisition ASAP.

Buying Canon body--- thinking of getting the 5D which frees up some coin for me to get more glass -Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift for my table top product shots and the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L as a standard zoom, mostly informal people and crowd shots, i.e. no long shots.

Question: Is this body going to be able to compete for the next 3-5 years? And is this glass ‘good’ enough to produce professional results (assuming as you must that my skills are up to it)? Trying to avoid doing something stupid here so you guyz’ thoughts??http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/talk028.gif
:talk028:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well truth be told i just bought a 5D this morning. I have a couple unsolved issues that need attention in certain area's . Tabletop is one of them so instead of the M8 for this work with a full Viso system which i have but just about to sell. The other is i have a very expensive Oly 24mm shift lens that was going to sell but changed my mind , I can use it today on the M8 but it is tough so with a leica R to Canon adapter i can bolt it on and use it more effectively. Than something long i have a need for some runway stuff that i do twice a year that easily justifies the whole purchase. So i went with a 5d , 200 2.8 and the 100 macro for now but will switch that out to a 90 TSE when I sell the Viso stuff. than I can shot table top tethered better also with C1 which does not support the M8 for tethered and let's face it the tethered software for the M8 is a joke and now won't work on leopard so I am screwed there so the 5D will go to work on table top stuff. The 5d is a nice camera andowned one before but looking at all the options i had Oly E3, Nikon D300 the Canon can take my Oly shift and the others can't, so it made the most business sense. it will sit mostly until those jobs come up so i don't really care what Canon comes out with per say the 1dsMKIII is not my cup of tea and if going to that expense than MF makes more sense. Now i need the 5d now but if you can wait i bet a dozen donuts come Feb. PMA time you can get one even cheaper because canon without fail will announce something and it will be exactly 2 weeks before PMA which starts on the 4th of Feb. I been watching this like clockwork from canon they do the same damn thing every year announce just before everyone else so they get the press first. LOL

As far as glass . Canon makes about 5 excellent lens than the rest are good but not great. The best from recent years the 35 1.4, 85 1.2 , 200 1.8, 135f2 and a couple others .But there 90 TSE, 200 2.8, 50 macro are all very good. There zooms suck , sorry. Maybe the new 16-35 maybe good but have not tried it the old one i hated went through 3 of them. Wide angle , get a Leica or Zeiss lens and bolt them on for the best quality. I went through every body they had almost and they make good stuff but they do NOT turn me on at all. I'm also really hard to please too.

BTW the 24-70 distorts like crazy so be careful there, same with the 24-105 is even worse

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I still have a 5D and think it is still a great camera for the times i need AF and longer lenses OR the specialty tilt-shift lenses. I own all the TSE lenses and the 90 is clearly the best, followed closely by the 45. The 24 is very good, but does show some CA at extreme shifts.

As to whether the 5D is good for the next 3-5 years, my guess (hope) is that's going to be a stretch. It will certainly continue to deliver the files it does today, but likely the 5D2 will be superior. The big question is how superior will it be --- IOW will it be another incremental detail gain with new conveniences and no other obvious image enhancements, or will it be something with a fresh look to the files? My money is on the former, and then the 5D1 may have a lot more life left in it... Given that assumption, I suspect Canon will see lower than anticipated sales of the "new" releases and once that happens may actually start to listen to what many of us are saying we want --- and my hope is they deliver on that sooner than 3 years from now. (Hey, I can dream can't I?)

Cheers,

woodyspedden

Well truth be told i just bought a 5D this morning. I have a couple unsolved issues that need attention in certain area's . Tabletop is one of them so instead of the M8 for this work with a full Viso system which i have but just about to sell. The other is i have a very expensive Oly 24mm shift lens that was going to sell but changed my mind , I can use it today on the M8 but it is tough so with a leica R to Canon adapter i can bolt it on and use it more effectively. Than something long i have a need for some runway stuff that i do twice a year that easily justifies the whole purchase. So i went with a 5d , 200 2.8 and the 100 macro for now but will switch that out to a 90 TSE when I sell the Viso stuff. than I can shot table top tethered better also with C1 which does not support the M8 for tethered and let's face it the tethered software for the M8 is a joke and now won't work on leopard so I am screwed there so the 5D will go to work on table top stuff. The 5d is a nice camera andowned one before but looking at all the options i had Oly E3, Nikon D300 the Canon can take my Oly shift and the others can't, so it made the most business sense. it will sit mostly until those jobs come up so i don't really care what Canon comes out with per say the 1dsMKIII is not my cup of tea and if going to that expense than MF makes more sense. Now i need the 5d now but if you can wait i bet a dozen donuts come Feb. PMA time you can get one even cheaper because canon without fail will announce something and it will be exactly 2 weeks before PMA which starts on the 4th of Feb. I been watching this like clockwork from canon they do the same damn thing every year announce just before everyone else so they get the press first. LOL

As far as glass . Canon makes about 5 excellent lens than the rest are good but not great. The best from recent years the 35 1.4, 85 1.2 , 200 1.8, 135f2 and a couple others .But there 90 TSE, 200 2.8, 50 macro are all very good. There zooms suck , sorry. Maybe the new 16-35 maybe good but have not tried it the old one i hated went through 3 of them. Wide angle , get a Leica or Zeiss lens and bolt them on for the best quality. I went through every body they had almost and they make good stuff but they do NOT turn me on at all. I'm also really hard to please too.

BTW the 24-70 distorts like crazy so be careful there, same with the 24-105 is even worse
My friend you are a riot. Trying to predict where you will be next could is just next to impossible. But I think you will find the 5D a good choice (although I still hate the plastic looking files I get from mine. The Nikon images are much better in that regard). But used with the right glass the 5D can produce some very good images. I had my mirror shaved so that I can use it with the whole Leica stable including 15 Elmarit and 19 latest version. Great lenses and very useful with the 5D. Similarly the 180 Elmarit is a great lens with it. As you used to do portraits with your 180 Cron you might find the elmarit to be a wonderful choice as it is way smaller (think handheld) and of course way less expensive. I got mine with a small cosmetic ding for $2K.

Happy shooting buddy

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Sometimes i feel like a bee on which damn flower to jump on next but this will hold me until the R10 comes. I did not want to put too much money in a DSLR for now. The D300 does look nice Woody if it would only have taken my 24 shift i may have jumped on it instead. For the limited use this will get i will just have to actually work the files. My ultimate goal is my M8 system or R10 system later and a MF system at some point i want one of these bad boys.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Well truth be told i just bought a 5D this morning.
OMG! :eek::eek::eek: Well, I know what I'm taking a picture of as soon as I get home to my camera!!!

THIS POST!

Time to invest heavily in warm clothing manufacturers because hell has just frozen over! :ROTFL: (Okay I'm done, it's out of my system now.)

35 1.4, 85 1.2 , 200 1.8,
Sweet! :)

Wide angle , get a Leica or Zeiss lens and bolt them on for the best quality.
Don't rule out the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 G. It's producing impressive images.

I don't think that the 24-70 is that bad. Minor barrel at 24, and very minor pin at 70. It's still one of my favorites and probably the lens that spends 60-80% of the time on my camera.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the 135 L is excellent as is the 90 TSE. And for me, the 85/1.8 is a sweetie on people, kind of a 2-fer like the 75 M lens, but the 80R Lux is the Queen of sweet.

Guy Mancuso

Time to invest heavily in warm clothing manufacturers because hell has just frozen over! (Okay I'm done, it's out of my system now.)

Hell just froze over better get those thermals out.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

tom in mpls

Have you guys tried the Contax N 24-85? I sold my 24-105 after I got mine. Actually I have only one Canon lens left, the 100-400L. The Canon 85/1.2 is a very lovely lens, but I just sold mine because of the serious pain of moving into MF; I know I will regret selling it. I had tried the 24TSE and absolutely hated it, maybe the 90 is better.

Guy Mancuso

I may just do that Cindy especially for the 24 shift lens. Doing three vertical stitches may just give me a really nice landscape file. Honestly i have little desire to even use it except for when the M8 is not practical. To me you can't beat the look from the M8 files with the leica glass. I have some of the best character leica lenses there are so really that is what i want is a look. This is another reason why i have certain lenses to do certain things. if i want really sharp i will grab the Zeiss 18, leica 50 lux and the 90 summarit but for a look the 21 leica, 28 cron , 35 cron and 75 are the character lenses. To me the only character lenses in canon are the 85 1.2 and the 200 1.8 the rest are more clinical looking. The 5D is really for specific needs , table top, something long for runway for the two big gigs I have every year and than something for the OLY 24 shift and if i did not have the Oly 24 i would have bought the D300 instead. I'm more looking really at Leica's future and MF.

fotografz

Have you guys tried the Contax N 24-85? I sold my 24-105 after I got mine. Actually I have only one Canon lens left, the 100-400L. The Canon 85/1.2 is a very lovely lens, but I just sold mine because of the serious pain of moving into MF; I know I will regret selling it. I had tried the 24TSE and absolutely hated it, maybe the 90 is better.
Hey Tom, where can I get one of those converted 24-85 Zeiss lenses? How well does it AF? I would pay serious money for one if I knew where to get it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the Tilt/Shift issue: Can a Nikon 85/2.8 T/S Macro be adapted to a Canon?
I can tell you from experience that none of the Canon lenses come close to this Nikon optic ... and it's a Macro !!! which is very useful for table top product.

Guy Mancuso

I had the 85 Nikon PC 85mm lens and have to say that lens was something else very sharp indeed and yes you can get a adapter from Nikon to Canon.

Now there is talk of the Nikon 14-24mm bolting it on the Canon and that lens has everyone going crazy over at Canon because it tears up the Canon zooms in that focal length.

tom in mpls

Not Yet. I hear the Contax N 17-35 is suppose to be equally sharp. (?)
The 17-35 is terrific. The 24-85 is excellent, doesn't compare some of the other Contax lenses in that range but still superior to the Canons in my opinion (I must add that it has been a very long time since I have used the 28-70L).

What you do is buy the lens at eBay, KEH, or wherever, then send to Conurus for conversion. The conversion turn around time is usually short, a week or so.

Check out the web site. http://en.conurus.com/faq.html

You might be able to find a converted lens for sale but there aren't many of them to be had.

woodyspedden

I had the 85 Nikon PC 85mm lens and have to say that lens was something else very sharp indeed and yes you can get a adapter from Nikon to Canon.

Now there is talk of the Nikon 14-24mm bolting it on the Canon and that lens has everyone going crazy over at Canon because it tears up the Canon zooms in that focal length.
Problem is that right now there is no adapter to mount it to the Canons and be able to adjust aperture. Husband, at 16-9, is the one who has been doing all the tests that I have seen and he put together an adapter that he is now making ready for sale. When that is complete all the Nikon G lenses will be able to mount on the Canons.

By the way Guy I still have my Zeiss 85 1.2 50 Jahre lens. Talk about the worlds best portrait lens on a FF camera! WOWEE!

Woody

Guy Mancuso

I may want that adapter Woody. I can't post there as you know because i was banned because i posted a image from my gallery there. Guess Fred is a little nervous about me taking his members away. Than banned Jack because he is my partner here. Okay the truth is out so be it but anyway ask Husband if we would like to join our merry group please. thanks

Would like to keep a beat on the adapter and such