The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1 Ds II teathered

John Grow

I've run into a problem and can't for the life of me understand it.

When I attach the camera to the computer it gets recognized nearly instantly. I need a little more distance from the computer. I tried attaching an extension Firewire cable but the computer does not recognize the camera. I tried using a simple 3 foot cable but no dice.

Seems like the computer and camera wont communicate with anything but the single cable that came with the camera.

Tried talking to CPS but the only answer they had was that Canon doesnt recommend cabling longer than 5 meters. I can't get it to work with a 1 meter cable.

Anyone had success connecting the 1 series bodies to a longer cable?

35mmSummicron

I've used a 1DsMKII tethered with a 15 foot firewire cable extensively works great--tether connection is very reliable.

I use C1 Pro 3 on a mac

nothing to it, connection to camera and computer, load up C1Pro, turn camera on.
make sure its not a bad cable, as they do wear out....

Last edited:

John Grow

These are two new cables and adapter connectors (sex changers) and not one single device works.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is an issue with the adapters.

35mmSummicron

yeah I never used any adaptors.

just a "normal" 6pin > 4pin 15' firewire 400 cable. Most camera shops that sell high end canon (IE: EOS 1 series bodies) should have good quality cables for tethering....

good luck.

fotografz

You may need a firewire "Repeater Hub" which is AC powered and allows 40 to 50 feet of teather.

Google Granite Digital.

John Grow

So far the only connector I have found to connect two firewire cables (camera to cable) is the G08-233 6 to 6 connector from Micro Connectors. A 3 foot firewire cable connected to my camera cable will not "log in". But the camera cable connected by itself will. I am stumped.

35mmSummicron

as long as the cable is less than 30 feet, it should work fine without the need of any AC power/repeater.

a firewire 400 4pin connection does not provide power through the cable, whereas a 6pin>6pin does.

if you are saying that a short 6pin>4pin firewire works fine tethered then both your computer and camera are fully working fine. the only conclusion I would assume is the cable. if you don't have local dealers who have long firewire cables, then I would order them online.

forget the repeaters/hubs/adapters. more connections increases the chances of things to go wrong.

your other options are shooting to card only, or get the wireless transmitter, though I hear it isnt very good......

John Grow

I stopped at K&S in Palo Alto and found that Canon offers a longer one piece cable that might be long enough. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

John Grow

This is getting ridiculous. The camera won't connect even with this cable that is a Canon part number.

The techs at CPS have not been any help. Does anyone know if it is possible to write directly to Chuck Westfall?