The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So I went for pancakes...

Chris Giles

Here in the UK the 40mm 2.8 Pancake lens showed up today and all over the place. A main dealer local to me had 2 arrive so I snapped one up.

Currently I'm going to be too busy to put it through any proper tests but a few things have occured to me:

1: The AF motor isn't silent like I expected it to be.
2: MFD is about 4 inches. You can get REAL close with this. Macro kinda close.

3: Most importantly IMO is that now I have a 5D3 which fits in my jacket pocket. Which was the attraction of mirrorless systems. If canon pulls other focal lengths out of the bag I see it taking sales away from the likes of Fuji.

Chris Giles

Big enough ;) I have a North Face Tri climate. Did a 200m ascent in it today, with the 5D3 along for the ride.

Got to the top and another chap asked me to take a photo of him and two others, handing me his DSLR he said I must look through the top and not at the screen as it isn't like P+S cameras.

Then I handed him the 5D3 and asked him to take one of myself and my fiancee :D

mazor

I think I have to get one of these jackets!! I don't think it will take away sales from Fuji, as they both cater for different types of photography. 5d3 is SLR type photography and Fuji is more range finder type. People that would buy Fuji would probably use it more for street type photography where the camera is not quite as conspicuous, plus the lens are small diameter overall.

O

organicfood

I think I have to get one of these jackets!! I don't think it will take away sales from Fuji, as they both cater for different types of photography. 5d3 is SLR type photography and Fuji is more range finder type. People that would buy Fuji would probably use it more for street type photography where the camera is not quite as conspicuous, plus the lens are small diameter overall.
iam agree.:clap:

algrove

I put my 40+5D3 through its initial test shooting a rock band one night. Also used my 40/2 Summicron on my Monochrom to see how they compared. That reminds me I must take a look at these as I am about 6 months behind on my processing.

asiafish

How about posting some pics? As a Leica Monochrom shooter and now 6D owner, I would like very much to see how the 6D+pancake does indoors compared to the Monochrom.

Here are some concert shots I took last week with the M Monochrom and an old (1963) Jupiter 3 5cm f/1.5. ISO 5000

L1000647-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000667-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000706-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000689-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000672-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000664-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr