The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brightscreen for Canon 5D mark one

LCT

Hi everybody. I'm planning to acquire a Brightscreen focussing screen # p232, the one with microprism spot center only (no split image), to use it with a late Canon 5D mark one and Leica R lenses. Would you say that it gives in focus shots from f/1.4 to f/5.6? Do microprisms darken significantly at f/4 or f/5.6? Thanks for advice.

mazor

Some say the addition of microprism or split prism can affect the cameras internal metering. I have the split prism on a modded EE-C screen for my old 5D. It works really well. only very occasionally when i am taking into sunlight, sometimes the metering can get fooled by the split prism. This is due to the metering sensor behind the focus screen, rather than being in front like the focus sensors.

As for significant darkening at f4 or 5.6. It is true that darkening does occurs and accurate focusing can be made harder with slower lens, but this is the case when used in all cameras. Just ensure when using manual focus lens, that one opens the aperture fully when focusing, then stopping down to required aperture just prior to taking the image, otherwise you will get massive darkening of the microprisms, especially if you set the manual aperture to f8 or higher.

MAzor

LCT

Thank you Mazor in fact i did not want a split image screen for those very reasons. I would have preferred an entire microprism screen but i've been unable to find one for the Canon 5D so i've finally ordered a "p232" Brightscreen screen with 13 mm microprism spot center. Not sure if i did well though as i'm used to focus on the entire screen with my Leica R4s. Wait and see then. Thanks again for your imput and ideas.

LCT

Thank you much Erik i'll PM you if the Brightscreen does not work for me but please don't wait for me as i have no date for the Brightscreen delivery.

LCT

Just received the Brightscreen "p232" focus screen with 13 mm microprism spot center for Canon EOS 5D.
Looks obviously brighter and easier to focus with than the Canon EeS screen at faster apertures than f/5.6.
But becomes more or less difficult to use at slower apertures than f/5.6 where microprisms tend to darken a lot.
Focusing can be made outside the microprisms though but the 13mm spot looks rather big in the viewfinder and getting such a dark spot in the middle is not the best way to win the Pulitzer. ;)
BTW i haven't noticed any back- or frontfocus issue with both focus screens so far but my 5D is a late copy (# 2921206***).

mazor

Congrats LCT on your acquisition of your new focus screen. Good to see you are not getting any back or front focus issues. When I got my modded EE-C screen with split prisms for my 5D, it came with stick on shims, just in case it was not focusing correct, but so far, all seems good. Although on my 85mm f1.4 Nikkor AIS, sometimes I hav to compensate slightly when using widest apeture setting f1.4. Similarly for fine work, using the 50mm f1.2L

To reduce this "darkening" effect from split prisms, use the stop down metering technique, whereby one opens up fully to focus using the microprism, then stops down to desired apeture of 5.6 or higher just prior to shooting.

Mazor

LCT

Yes i used to do those stop down and up things in my youth but i'm definitely too lazy now so i tend to avoid slower apertures than f/5.6, this way the metering is good and fast shutter speeds help a lot fortunately. Cheers.