The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D recommendations

Steve Hendrix

I'm buying a 5D (maybe a MKII, but probably not).

I would appreciate recommendations on the following:

*on-camera flash - mainly would like it to swivel easily in any direction.
*affordable remote trigger (wireless)
*brighter screen

brands are not important, performance and value is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Ben Rubinstein

1) Either the Canon 580 or 430ex units will do this. I recommend the older non mkII 580ex, it doesn't have the connection problems of the mkII. I would steer clear of the Metz units, the canon's have far better ergonomics.

2) Quite a few options out there. Microsync, Elinchrom Skyport and the new Alien Bees units.

3) Looks like the 5D mkII for you then, the LCD screen on the mkI would be a disgrace to cheap p&s and yes I own two of them. The newer generation of screens are said to be very useable. A far as I know there are no after market LCD solutions.

If you meant focusing screens, I'll let others answer that, I've no idea.

Steve Hendrix

1) Either the Canon 580 or 430ex units will do this. I recommend the older non mkII 580ex, it doesn't have the connection problems of the mkII. I would steer clear of the Metz units, the canon's have far better ergonomics.

2) Quite a few options out there. Microsync, Elinchrom Skyport and the new Alien Bees units.

3) Looks like the 5D mkII for you then, the LCD screen on the mkI would be a disgrace to cheap p&s and yes I own two of them. The newer generation of screens are said to be very useable. A far as I know there are no after market LCD solutions.

If you meant focusing screens, I'll let others answer that, I've no idea.
Thanks Ben.

Yes, I meant the focusing screen itself, not the LCD screen.

For remote release, looking for something a little simpler in function (and less expensive). Just need to be able to trip the shutter.

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Ben Rubinstein

Wireless Remote? Canon don't make a cheap one but there are a few solutions out there in the typical chinese type genre. Hahnel make one as do Seculine (zigview), both are more reputable companies than the miriads of these wireless remotes sold on ebay.

kdphotography

Don't forget the Canon 550EX as a flash option. It's quite capable as well---and probably more available on the used market.

robmac

The best manual focus screen for the 5D is the EeS model - lots of in-focus 'pop'. Unfortunately it is also darker than stock. If using AF and just want a brighter screen - may want to look at after-market like BrightScreen or Katzeye.

NOTE: This varies by individual 5D body, but changing the focus screen in a 5D from the one originally shipped with it from the factory, EVEN to OEM Canon screens like the Ee-S may require you (or Canon) to re-shim for accurate MANUAL focus.

Unlike the 1 series bodies, the 5D (and one assumes the MkII as is same body) suffers from manufacturing variances in the prism housing and the factory shims each body to the stock screen for 'close enough' manual focus.

ANY change to another screen, regardless of who makes it, including Canon, could require a re-shim to cure resulting back/front focus issues - using manual lenses.

Again, like the famous 5D mirror clearance issue with alternate lenses, it varies by sample. I ran a 5D (since replaced with a 1DS2) and a 1Ds Mk1 together for some time. While my 5D would take damn near any Leica/Zeiss/CV/Nikon lens I tossed on it (some of which were supposed to be problematic), I had to re-shim and re-test focus every time I switched screens (settling eventually on the Ee-S) where as the others could switch screens with little if any issues - while hanging on the lenses mine cleared.

The Camera can be sent to Canon with the (Canon only) non-stock screen for calibration, but you'd do a more accurate job yourself as Canon tolerances for screen shimming assume you'll be using AF and all the screen is for is for framing and for indication to you that AF has been achieved.

Shims for the 5D can be bought from Canon parts or some use narrow strips of metallic duct tape (it's apparently 0.001" thick) or scotch tape on the edges of the screen.

Last edited:

mark1958

There is Chris Maxwell in Virginia who does custom screens for all the modern DSLRs. He will even mount and test them in an individual camera. I think the canon choices for the 5D are not as good as their choices for the 1D series. I did not find much improvement with with the EeS and perhaps Rob's explanation is the reason why.

I had a custom screen made by Brightscreen for my Hasselblad and I like their product although for anything custom, their time estimate was way off.

In regards to a flash system, the Metz 54 with canon module is another option. The reason I like the metz 54 is that the same flash can be used on different camera platforms by simply switching the module. The Metz 54 is very good overall in consistency with the canon system.

Mark

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
There is Chris Maxwell in Virginia who does custom screens for all the modern DSLRs. He will even mount and test them in an individual camera.
Mark, Google searches for "'chris maxwell' + virginia" and "'chris maxwell' + virginia + nikon + canon" didn't yield any useful results. I'm wondering if you have a website link for him. Thanks...

robmac

Below is a link to an FM post that lists the parts number for the 5D focus screen shims -- Canon apparently calls them "washers" (probably a translation issue from Japanese) along with the phone number (US) for Canon parts. Will make a PITA process go much faster/easier.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/704641