The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS-M mirror-less camera

JMaher

Thought about this a little more. I like the OM-D because it allows me to carry a little kit with high quality lenses. The reason I would want a Canon mirrorless would be so I could have a small kit with my existing Canon lenses and flash.

However, have you ever picked up a Canon 70-200 or an 85 1.2 lenses and a 580 flash? If so you will understand why this will never be a small kit no matter the size of the body. On my recent vacation I carried an OM-D, 12-50, 45 1.8, 25 1.4 and a small flash. That's not too far off in size from my 24-105 lens alone.

That fact that the new Canon can use existing lenses and Canon flash systems is a great plus but maybe not enough of one to compete.

Jim

Last edited:

Lars

Seems like perhaps a great addition if you have a substantial investment in EF lenses.

M

Moreorless

Thought about this a little more. I like the OM-D because it allows me to carry a little kit with high quality lenses. The reason I would want a Canon mirrorless would be so I could have a small kit with my existing Canon lenses and flash.

However, have you ever picked up a Canon 70-200 or an 85 1.2 lenses and a 580 flash? If so you will understand why this will never be a small kit no matter the size of the body. On my recent vacation I carried an OM-D, 12-50, 45 1.8, 25 1.4 and a small flash. That's not too far off in size from my 24-105 lens alone.

That fact that the new Canon can use existing lenses and Canon flash systems is a great plus but maybe not enough of one to compete.

Jim
Again I'd say it depends on the market there going after, the impression I get is that the vast majority of mirrorless sales are to users who never get beyond the kit zoom and perhaps a cheap pancake or tele zoom.

One area I do think Canon have potentially one upped Sony is the small and relatively cheap 22mm pancake, the NEX has been crying out for something like that and instead got the the large and expensive Ziess 24mm.

donbga

If I have read the copy correctly today, the EF-M is not compatible with the legacy Canon flash equipment, such as the 580EX II.

If true, that's very lame.

I'm not interested in this camera at all. A great disappointment like the GX1.

Oh brother [Canon] where art thou?

K

krb

smartwombat

Ah much better than the adapters that put an additional iris behind the lens, with all the vignetting problems that introduces.

rayyan

It would appear from the posts here that this is not a good offering.

I shall wait for the market ( specially in Japan ) to have the final say. Maybe it
is, maybe it is not.

Rawfa

Ken Rockwell posted a review saying this is THE only mirrorless camera to get it right.
How in the world can he expect ANYONE to take him seriously when he says that the Canon EOS M was the only mirrorless camera that got it right??? Ken, please, at least don´t be so obvious about getting money under the table to say an atrocity like this.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek - it does look good - I've not seen a similar breakdown of either the NEX7 or the OMD . . . ?
I have seen few of the NEX cams. Based on that the EOS-M looks impressive.
The shutter unit seems very secure for starters. ;)

mazor

haha vivek, hehe, my 5n shutter has not fallen off yet, hehe. the EOS-M seems to be lacking buttons and depends alot on the touch screen. Also no mention yet for an EVF accessory. Lastly from the Verge website, they have tested EOS-M and they state the hybrid AF is laggy and is not as good as the NEX AF.

mazor

Ken Rockwell posted a review saying this is THE only mirrorless camera to get it right.
How in the world can he expect ANYONE to take him seriously when he says that the Canon EOS M was the only mirrorless camera that got it right??? Ken, please, at least don´t be so obvious about getting money under the table to say an atrocity like this.
Ken is an interesting character. He sways from one brand to another. There was a time he used to be absolute pro Nikon, now he has changed tune and now anything Canon is good.

jonoslack

Ken is an interesting character. He sways from one brand to another. There was a time he used to be absolute pro Nikon, now he has changed tune and now anything Canon is good.
Not that interesting
He simply makes the most eye catching comments, because it brings traffic to his site, which, in turn, earns him money.

J

JohnW

What Rockwell said was, it's the first "serious" mirrorless camera. We all know he's full of hyperbole, but I don't consider his perspecitive so outlandish.

It really is the first mirrorless to offer a full compliment of pro-grade lenses, including many wide and long fixed aperture zooms. Plus what amounts to 80mm and 135mm f1.2 primes.

m4/3 and all the rest? It's hard to take a 5.6 zoom "seriously." And good fast primes over 90 FOV? Well the 75 just came out, but that's about it.

Now, why you would use a compact with those big lenses is another matter. But you can. That seems pretty serious to me.

John

jonoslack

What Rockwell said was, it's the first "serious" mirrorless camera. We all know he's full of hyperbole, but I don't consider his perspecitive so outlandish.

It really is the first mirrorless to offer a full compliment of pro-grade lenses, including many wide and long fixed aperture zooms. Plus what amounts to 80mm and 135mm f1.2 primes.
HI John
Canon do f5.6 zoom lenses as well - and from using 4/3 lenses on µ43 and using Sony A mount lenses on NEX I wouldn't be too optimistic about using the pro-grade lenses and AF. Added to which - as you say -if you're going to use a lens weighing 1kg why on earth wouldn't you put it on a 7D body?

m4/3 and all the rest? It's hard to take a 5.6 zoom "seriously." And good fast primes over 90 FOV? Well the 75 just came out, but that's about it.

John
- µ43 has plenty of reasonably fast primes, for longer focal lengths you can grab yourself a Leica R lens if you really need quality . . . . or anything else you fancy.

As for zooms there's an f2.8 35-70 zoom which weighs 300gms, and a 70-200 f2.8 coming soon which doesn't weigh much more. The 7-14 f4 zoom is generally acknowledged to be one of the very best of the breed, right up there with the Nikon 14-24.

I'm not suggesting perfection, just pointing out that denying µ43 a 'serious' label and then attaching it to a little Canon camera which doesn't even have an EVF and apparently has rather slow AF is pushing it a bit!

. . .. . and as we know, Ken says things so that he'll get hits, not because they're true. . . . . . he's even honest about his motivation, but that doesn't make his hyperbole any more convincing.

J

JohnW

Hi Jono,

No doubt a little hyperbole on my part. I agree with what you say. I have no interest in the Canon M, nor would I personally consider it any more serious than any other mirrorless solution. Just pointing out that Ken's logic may not be completely off the wall, at least to his own Rockwellian way of thinking.

John