The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III together in the Field

ustein

Contributing Editor
Bettina and I had a day trip on the amazingly beautiful Highway 25 from Hollister to King City. We used the Nikon D800 with the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II and the Canon 5D Mark III with our trusty 70-200mm f/4 IS. We did not intend to make a comparison but tried to get the pictures we wanted instead. But this allows us to share with you the results (the full resolution processed images are provided). Both worked fine. You can judge yourself. We have no intention to declare a winner if there even is one. Obviously the D800 has higher resolution while the 5D Mark III combo is lighter and would allow faster bursts.

All processing was done in Lightroom 4.1.

Field Shots Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III - Digital Outback Photo

clark666

I like the Canon photos best. They appear more detailed because the shrubs and grasses are more distinct. Did you process the files the same from both cameras?

Where is the best place to buy a Canon 5D iii?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Did you process the files the same from both cameras?

Kind of, both in LR.

Note: I enabled now the 100% view.

>Where is the best place to buy a Canon 5D iii?

No idea. We used a review loaner from Canon.

Last edited:

thrice

I see the same green tint to the D800 shots I see in most of their side-by-sides. Maybe they need to be profiled better.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I see the same green tint to the D800 shots

CAn be a profile or WB issue.

>I see the same green tint to the D800 shots

I also may not see it here (had always a hard time to see green metamerism in prints)

Last edited:

pophoto

I went from the 5D Mark II to the mark III, and somehow, and this may be a subjective thing... but we (wife and I) prefer the look of the older Mark II to some degree, especially in LR!
And somehow we still prefer the colors we get from Canon to Nikon. I haven't tried using C1 enough to know if it makes enough of a difference!

Last edited:

tjv

I can certainly see a consistent colour difference between both cameras. Nikon is more green, Canon more red. Even so, I doubt most punters would ever see the difference.

Pingang

I use both system, for studio I will give them a draw, out in the field - I prefer Canon CR2 over Nikon NEF. This is base on personal preference. D800E autofocus is not as good as the 5DIII, not as decisive, in fact I just shot a job last week using Sigma SD-1 Merrill in studio, and use D800E just for the fun of it - even the Sigma SD-1 with 50/1.4 focus better than D800E with 85/1.4.
But is D800E focusing bad, certainly not, it is a very good camera, excellent files, just that 5DIII file is very appealing, especially for portraits. I use C1Pro for both Canon and Nikon and of course with my P65+ and IQ180 for years, I think I know them resonably well.
Sigma on the other hand, good file, but the software is really heart breaking!
A group shot of the 3 camera, the 5DIII + EF 85/1.2L, Sigma SD-1 Merrill + 50/1.4 (=85/1.4) and Nikon D800E + 85/1.8G (a really sharp lens)

BR,
Pingang

ustein

Contributing Editor
>This is base on personal preference. D800E autofocus is not as good as the 5DIII, not as decisive

I found this too. The Nikon cameras need better edges to focus.