The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Still having fun with the 5D Mark II

ustein

Contributing Editor
After using the 5D Mark III we realize what a great camera the 5D Mark II is if you look for image quality. The 5D3 is clearly a better camera in terms of camera-ness (AF, fps, silent shutter). But at normal ISO the 5D2 holds up very well. we (Bettina and I) use D800 and 5D2 side by side).

No HDR, only LR 4.1:

pophoto

I completely agree.... To the extent, that I may be keeping my mark II, and letting my mark III go! The only major downside to it all is the now great flash system, that makes me hesitate.

jusu

Same here, i had mk3 for s test couple months ago and came to that conclusion that mk2 files are better.

Pingang

Not saying the 5DII is no longer good, even my original 1Ds still produce very nice file today albeit so many years ago.
I preferred the 5DIII over last generation because its autofocus is hugely improved that in the past I would avoid using markII in studio becuase of dimmer light and less contrast while today I will happily pick up 5DIII for studio use.
What I do find is that because 5DIII has newer and higher capacity focusing engine, often result a higher degree of sharpness in overall picture - true, if a subject is in absolute focus - it is basically the same but critical focus is usually base on how critical we are, especially in field work and with successive sequence shoot, the 5DIII actual made me think my same old lens beomes sharper. The new CR2 file seemed to be richer as it appeared on C1Pro, although with critical side by side test against 5DII (OK, I have to say I am a bit less interest to do camera test, I found go ahead using them for jobs to be more fun) I would give the 5DIII file slight edge over 5DII.

Pingang

pophoto

Same here, i had mk3 for s test couple months ago and came to that conclusion that mk2 files are better.
I found this especially true for f/1.2 lenses shot wide open. Despite the 5D Mark III having lens correction, I think correcting technical termed imperfections such as abberations in many circumstances is a good thing, but taking away the overall look which screams beautiful, goes slightly the other way. In no way bad, but when you have something for comparison, it's there!

The 5D Mark III IS pure awesomeness, it has almost everything, and silent shooting has been exactly that, with nothing lost! I hear it improves on poorer lenses...

Recently shot the 1DX, despite having the same corrections as the 5D Mark III, it didn't look like it lost that LOOK! Big keeper for me.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> silent shooting has been exactly that

This mode is great while in normal mode the shutter has a high pitched sound.

Pingang

shot in Dunhuang. China, Canon 5DII with EF 70-300/4-5.6 L IS - a lens which has took the place of my EF 70-200/2.8L IS II since early 2011.

BR,
Pingang

G

gmeyersphoto

This is my first post, just took this in Rome this evening.

J

jamadophotography

Great shots! I'm thinking about the mark iii here over the next few months.

Paratom

shot in Dunhuang. China, Canon 5DII with EF 70-300/4-5.6 L IS - a lens which has took the place of my EF 70-200/2.8L IS II since early 2011.

BR,
Pingang
Beautiful image.
Now would you care to comment about the 70-300L vs the 70-200 ?

I am trying to decide between the 70-200/4.0IS and tc1.4 for occasiona use when I need longer vs the 70-300.
The 70-200 is much lighter/smaller (at most focal lengths) and is f4 at 200mm vs the 70-300 is f5.0 at 200mm.

The 70-300 would be shorter when collapsed and offers the range without having to put the converter on it.

I expect 70-80% 200mm is fine for my use (kids images), but occasionally would want longer.

Do you mis the 70-200 sometimes?