The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5d mark3 vs 1ds mark3 image quality

nenes

Hi all and thanks for your time. I know the most important thing is enjoy taken pictures and that my question could be anoying but i have to do it.
I would like to know from your experiences if the image quality from the 5d mark3 is better than the1ds mark3 (just IQ ,not construction,focus,or anything else) just image quality.

Thanks again and i know the cuestion is so boring but i need to know.

Pingang

I do most of commercial assignment in studio with controlled light and even in outdoors I have my lighting crew so this means I don't shoot high ISO images, at least for paid jobs!
To answer your question, I think 1DsIII even 3 years later still produce very nice files, and I have 5DIII in working today as well, but since I don't test cameras for job so I can't say which is better but looking thru the computer screen I would probably say they are very equal, but different.
Even with raw file and shoot under white balance present - "flash", as raw image view on C1Pro, the cr2 from 5DIII seemed a bit richer than the cr2 from 1DsIII appeared on C1Pro but then I can slightly adjust the C1Pro software so the 2 files looked the same.
With same lens, it is the same sharpness as I see them, similar contrast - so I would say at controlled light, they are equal.
For outdoor, very obviously the 5DIII has more pronounced richer color and auto white balance is probably the best I have tried, include D800E. And back to studio to develop the raw file, still the file without any preset looks to be richer on C1Pro, and 1DsIII file needs a little adjustment, but can be almost the same, so they are equal again.
But 5DIII has very very good focus except it is a bit too light for me. I would hope a camera may be a little bigger and a little heavier - or the size and weight of 1DsIII or 1DX still preferred.
The size and weight has probably no direct relationship to quality or may be they do, but it is to me more pleasure to shoot with a 1D series camera - for paid jobs, not becaue it looks better but feel a bit more secure, knowing they won't break. But 5DIII is a good choice for a few hours on street with no particular subject. Videos? I have other cam to do the job so it is not a point that would matter to compare them. But for people who cares, the choice is obvious.
So the verdict - in studio and heavy duty - 1DsIII. For people prefer lighter and smaller - 5DIII. For low light and street and video - 5DIII. To the end of world - 1DsIII.

BR,
Pngang

Last edited:

nenes

Well i gess that after 5 years of tecnology and a touch more of resolution(almost no diference 21 to 22 MP) the image quality from 5d mark3 is obiously better than 1ds mark3 even without talking about ISOS...

nenes

Thanks so much pingang :)
I really apreciate :)
Just when you where writing, i posted my last post as no one was writing...sorry.
What you said make a lot of sense ...at the end 5 years of tecnology make some diferent in terms of image quality..., but at the end the quality of the picture comes out also depending of how comfortable you are with the camera and how many of the tecnology you have in your hands make you get you the picture or pictures you wanted.

J

jamadophotography

I had the same questions and I checked out some videos on youtube comparing the ISO of both cameras. you should check those out.