The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss announces DSLR lenses for high MPX DSLR's

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Start saving folks this maybe killer.

After the 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2 and a new set of mirroress lenses, Zeiss made another big announcements at Photokina today: they are introducing a new high-end SLR lens product line specially designed for high resolution, full frame DSLR cameras with resolution more than 30MP (Nikon D800, D800E):

"This is about lenses for full-frame (36x24mm) SLR cameras with manual focusing capability. This family of lenses is geared towards delivering uncompromising image quality for demanding users. The lenses are perfect for high-resolution, full-format digital cameras with more than 30 megapixels such as D800. The combined performance approaches that of medium format systems. If you shoot with the largest aperture, cameras with smaller number of pixels also benefit from much better image contrast."

The new lenses will come in both Nikon and Canon mounts and are expected to costs around 3,000 EUR. The first set will contain three prime lenses, more are currently in the planning stage.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Zeiss announces new SLR lens family for high-resolution full frame DSLR cameras | Photo Rumors

Uaiomex

I know I shouldn't say this but this is another deterrent for folks undecided to jump to DMF. Damn! This Photokina was expected to improve things for MF. Instead...
Eduardo

Stefan Steib

These lenses will also be usable on HCam and Alpa FPS - at least for the smaller size sensors. I was waiting for some time for Zeiss to take their knowhow from the Cineprimes and Masterprimes and break this down to Photolenses.
So this is a good news for MF also.

Regards
Stefan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While one half of me is very excited about these new lenses, the other half does not get it!

We will have Zeiss lenses - I think they will be MF only - and pay around 3k for say a 1.4/55 for a Nikon or Canon DSLR? There is then the big difference (in price and quality) to MF lenses from Hasselblad and Phase, even Leica S will not be much more expensive the. My point is, for these prices why should one then shoot DSLR bodies? Just because the body is cheaper? Hmmm....

Not sure if I will not declare the quality of existing Zeiss glass for DSLRs for just being enough and keep being a happy camper than spending this premium. Because I am already pretty satisfied with the existing lineups.

While one half of me is very excited about these new lenses, the other half does not get it!

We will have Zeiss lenses - I think they will be MF only - and pay around 3k for say a 1.4/55 for a Nikon or Canon DSLR? There is then the big difference (in price and quality) to MF lenses from Hasselblad and Phase, even Leica S will not be much more expensive the. My point is, for these prices why should one then shoot DSLR bodies? Just because the body is cheaper? Hmmm....
+1 to all that. Still, the difference between a Phase DF with P40 or IQ140 and a D800 is several thousand dollars and at least a couple pounds. Comparing the Nikon to used MFD gear the cost differential shrinks, but the weight does not. That said, it raises the question that if you are always on a tripod and focusing with Live View, when is 35 mm really no longer a 35 mm?

An acquaintance got the idea to take the engine from a Kawasaki Ninja 1200, turbo charge it and put in in a Fortwo Smart Car. It worked and the car was scary fast, but it is clearly in the category of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I suppose what this means is that DSLRs will get even more flexible.

pophoto

I think a few are missing the point of what this really is pointing at. I don't even think its speculation at this point any more, but for Zeiss to go into full production with three lenses and to be in business really points to higher MP DSLRs being released soon. Nikon has already arrived, but I am sure we will see 30+MP coming from Canon and Sony very soon.

As for the should we shoot Medium Format instead, I think same thinking stillapplies, and nothing has changed. I don't think everyone will be interested because these will be manual focus lenses and costing a lot (think Leica M lens pricing, still 35mm) but if one really desires the very best optics, Zeiss gives us those options. Afterall that is their market to push!

Last edited: