The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The D800 has competition - resolution is not the king anymore in MF

pophoto

I think the 24 TS-E II will work very well with this camera - it was startlingly sharp when used on a Hartblei HCam with P45+. OK, pixel pitches are not close to this rumoured camera, but I suspect more MPixels won't be wasted. And 50 F1.2, 85 F1.2, 70-200II, 24-70II etc. will be good too.
I don't think the 50 f1.2 will be so good on it but certainly ok, but the rest you have listed will be, and in particular the newly released 24-70L II, which far (relatively) exceeds the resolution of the 24 TS-E II, and of course others in its range.

Rumors certainly suggest a newly developed sensor which is superior to the 50MP sensor they have displayed previously and targets at performing at higher ISOs. Certainly news I welcome. Gapless photosites on the 1DX have shown it is able to retain the details going up in ISO, to retain a tighter image than even the 5DMark3, however, resolution is resolution. I won't say the the 1DX makes up for the difference in resolution with the 5D3, but it does something a little bit different which I do like, but the increase of 46MP over the 36MP from the D800, I will be interested to see how this translate especially when we are further shrinking the pixel pitch.

Shashin

The 46MP image will give whopping 13% increase in resolving power over 36MP and a 28% increase in file size...

Uaiomex

Paraphrasing Mal:

Would I finally buy my first DMF back if this camera is a comparable leap in IQ like it was from the 5Dc to the 5D2? - NO

I bet the 17 and 24II TS glass is good for 46mp. More new TS's are coming soon. Zeiss is getting ready for the megapixel dslr's!

Eduardo

Would I sell my Phase 1 gear - NO.

I am also pleased to see the camera come out as a full bodied DSLR - if it carries over the features of my 1DMk4, I will be a very happy boy.

Thanks Canon for turning on the light at the end of my tunnel - was looking a bit gloomy for a bit there.

Mal[/QUOTE]

Stan ROX

I had almost every piece of glass Canon manufactures for the EOS-System. Most of them will not perform up to the needs of a sensor with almost 50 MP.

Zeiss lenses may keep up - but are MF.

Stay calm lets see what Photoplus 2012 will bring. I don't believe in this.

S.

proenca

it is just me that think that is a terrible fake ?

50mm 1.8 lens with 40m 1.2 L written on the barrel ?!

body looks like a badly squashed 1D ?

and I agree with the rest of the posters - so Canon is taking a bash with the D800 and Canon users are clamouring for higher MP, they "forget" to announce this at Photokina - biggest photo fair in the world and are going to make a preview on a US fair that no one outside the US ever heard ? hmmmm right.

And if it wasnt finished, the body should be by now. Hasseblad did present ( unfortunately ) the Lunar and it was NOWHERE finished. Actually was terribly finished.

G

gmeyersphoto

this was a low light shot from my 5d mrkii, blew away my friends version with D800:grin:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Think the operator of the d800 may not be as good as you.

How can we judge anything from such a small image?

mazor

>Think the operator of the d800 may not be as good as you.

How can we judge anything from such a small image?
I think the idea gmeyersphoto was trying to put across is that the Canon has some artistic effect, ie feeling good with the camera has allowed emotion to show through photography, whist the d800 operator was maybe too occupied with mega pixels.

jonoslack

I think the idea gmeyersphoto was trying to put across is that the Canon has some artistic effect, ie feeling good with the camera has allowed emotion to show through photography, whist the d800 operator was maybe too occupied with mega pixels.
Hmmm, possibly, alternatively he's just having a grin :D

malmac

October 24-October 27 - Photoplus NYC.

mmmmmmmm - now where is that new Canon 3Dx camera this thread started talking about?

Maybe that was 2013?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Mal

mazor

Maybe Canon is still developing some really fancy noise reduction algorithm to counter act noise developed from having such small pixels. Prepare for super mushy watercolors.. lol

malmac

November, December, NEW YEAR, January -

It feels like HIDE n SEEK as a child. Will anyone ever find where Canon have hidden the press release for a full frame high resolution (30+ Mp) camera?

Mal

ShooterSteve

I've lost faith that Canon is interested in this race. Their C300 and C500 video cameras seem to be their flagships right now.

I'm also not sure Canon has the resources to compete with Sony at the moment, who I believe makes the sensor for the Nikon. The sensor in the D800E is kicking butt in the way of dynamic range and shadow noise. I'm also skeptical that Canon's current lens line up can perform well enough for a 40mp sensor, (not unlike many of Nikon's current lenses). I have been using them both and hoping for a high MP Canon or some high quality shift lenses from Nikon. It's very ironic that Nikon has the body but Canon has the lenses for a great architectural or landscape system. Right now Canon would probably sell a ton of their TSE lenses if they made them in a Nikon mount! I wonder why Schneider, Rodenstock or Zeiss doesn't make a very high quality 17 and 24mm tilt shift lens. I tested the old Schneider 28 a while back and was not impressed.

nikonf

Yes, I find it very perplexing. I have the D800E and I use the 45mm PC-E and get good results. When I need a wider viewpoint, I reach for my Canon 24mm TS-E MKII.
I decided not to bother with the Nikon 24mm after all the bad reviews I read here.
I would love to see Rodenstock, Schneider or Zeiss produce a 24mm with resolution similar to the Rodenstock 23mm !!!
Perhaps I am dreaming.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I rather think that by the time Canon releases a 30+ MP DSLR, Nikon will already be there with a 40-50 MP DSLR. So why bother any longer with Canon?

Nikon meanwhile have a number of very good lenses which work already perfectly with the D800E and if you insist on even higher quality then some selected Zeiss or Sigma glass can offer that.

Plus they have gained experience with cameras without AA filter (D800E, D7100, Coolpix A), which Canon has still to prove they can do.

Paratom

I rather think that by the time Canon releases a 30+ MP DSLR, Nikon will already be there with a 40-50 MP DSLR. So why bother any longer with Canon?

I think Nikon D800 scores with high MP and DR.

The Canon with better skin tones, faster speed, and more high resolution AF-lenses.

gazwas

Because I have been using various Canon cameras for numerous years and in particular the 1Ds3. It has made me several hundred thousand pounds in income and has never put a foot wrong............ why would I ever, ever, ever want to switch to a Nikon?

To this day, with the continual development of RAW conversion software, I still really love the output from this camera and I for one would relish a new higher Mpix camera from Canon and would buy one regardless of price tomorrow.

I agree Gareth. I worked successfully with a 1DsIII for years. I'm using a D800e as a backup to the Cambo/P45+/AFD and it has good resolution and low-light performance but it has two giant flaws: the colours are unpredictable - sometimes just about ok, sometimes really unpleasant, especially with nature; secondly, there is NO way of checking the files at 100%. Not on liveview or playback. It zooms to a certain point and then goes fuzzy. This is an astounding omission for a super high res camera on which focusing is critical. Like you, I'd have a high res Canon in a heartbeat. I've only been waiting 5 years now...

RVB

Because I have been using various Canon cameras for numerous years and in particular the 1Ds3. It has made me several hundred thousand pounds in income and has never put a foot wrong............ why would I ever, ever, ever want to switch to a Nikon?

To this day, with the continual development of RAW conversion software, I still really love the output from this camera and I for one would relish a new higher Mpix camera from Canon and would buy one regardless of price tomorrow.
Canon build quality is high and i prefer the EF mount to the F mount..if they can match or exceed the exmor sensor they are on a winner...backlit buttons would also be a nice touch..