The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Canon EF 24-70/4L IS and 35/2 IS

pophoto

(Thinking out loud here) ...but why not L-grade 35 f2 with IS! I mean the price seems fairly high already!
Also I wonder about the hybrid IS on the 24-70 f/4L IS, how many stops IS it is able to give!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's when Canon comes up with lenses like this, that I consider seriously switching from Nikon. 6D plus the 24-70/4.0, the 35/2.0 and the 135/2.0 would be a great travel kit.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's when Canon comes up with lenses like this, that I consider seriously switching from Nikon. 6D plus the 24-70/4.0, the 35/2.0 and the 135/2.0 would be a great travel kit.
I do not get what would be an advantage of the Canon system you describe here?

Take a Nikon D600 plus the 4/24-120, the 2/35 and a 2/135 Nikkor and you have a system which has even better AF than the 6D. And an exceptional zoom from 24-120!

Just curious ....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Take a Nikon D600 plus the 4/24-120, the 2/35 and a 2/135 Nikkor and you have a system which has even better AF than the 6D. And an exceptional zoom from 24-120!

Just curious ....
I expect the Canon 24-70/4.0 to be better optically than the nikon 24-120, but we'll see when it's available. The macro option on the Canon is an excellent feature when the need for close focusing arises. The Canon 25/2.0 has IS, which makes it an excellent low light travel lens.

Then there are a few things that the Nikon body doesn't have:

- Built in GPS with geo-tagging of photos (I shoot travel stock photos)
- Built in wi-fi
- The option of using all my Zuiko OM and all my Zeiss CY lenses with adapters.
- Interchangeable focusing screen with a stock screen for wide aperture manual focus lenses available from Canon.

It's a dilemma, and I have lots of Nikon gear, including 4 f-mount bodies and a number of lenses, but I suspect that the 6D would see more use with me than a D600. Time will show :)

Oren Grad

Just curious ....
The 35/2 AF-D does pretty poorly on high-MP sensors. If one's photo-life revolves around unobtrusive snapshooting with a compact 35/2, that settles it, because there's no good alternative. The 35/1.4 AF-S is big, heavy and conspicuous, and not a good substitute for that role. Ditto for any zooms that perform well on FF at 35mm. The 35/2 Zeiss is itself pretty big and heavy, and many of us - self included - can't manual-focus the Nikons with sufficient accuracy and precision on the fly.

Just a pity that, at least for the moment, Canon is lagging so badly on the sensors.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just a pity that, at least for the moment, Canon is lagging so badly on the sensors.
I have a feeling it's more a question about in-camera processing than the quality of the sensor itself. When comparing high ISO RAW photos (dpr) from the D600, the A99 and the 5D III, the D600 comes out at the top and the A99 at the bottom. Although the D600 and A99 may not use the same sensor, I find it hard to believe that Sony uses a sensor in the A99 that is inferior to what they supply to Nikon.

Nikon D600 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

Or does the translucent mirror of the Sony take away enough light to explain the difference?

In any case, the difference between the D600 and the 5D III seems to be far less than a stop (around half a stop?), and I suppose the 6D will be better still. Then, Canon offers two f/1.2 AF lenses while Nikon offers none.

mazor

mmm 1.2 Lens... I have one of those the 50mm f1.2L, excellent bokeh.

The Sony Translucent mirror does affect the amount of light passing through to the sensor. Some say you can lose up to half a stop of light.

J

jamadophotography

I agree with the 35mm IS. Can't wait to shoot with it! The 24-70 seems very pointless since the 24-105 has an f/4 and IS as well as longer range.

Zlatko Batistich

Does anyone have the new 35mm f/2 IS? Let us know how you like it. I will likely buy one, and I'm curious to hear some first-hand impressions from others who may already have it.

Professional

Does anyone have the new 35mm f/2 IS? Let us know how you like it. I will likely buy one, and I'm curious to hear some first-hand impressions from others who may already have it.
Well, the only 35mm i am thinking about is the Sigma one, i don't know why i go for 35mm f2 when i can buy 35mm f1.4, at this focal length for me i don't see a big benefit for IS anyway, i am sure there are people will say it is handy, but in general at this focal length it is difficult to miss with low shutter speed unless you shake very much and even IS will not help then, but i will watch what people will say about this lens you mentioned.