The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TS-E time

GlenC

"
Since there's no way to effectively mount the Canon lens to the tripod and just slide the back (camera), you have to do a little dance with the RRS clamp to accomplish that. You do both - slide the camera AND shift - simultaneously. The RRS clamp already has marks scribed at 12mm left and right of the center, so you start with your camera centered and lens centered, then shift left and slide right, then shoot with everything centered, and finally shift right and slide left 12mm. The effect is that even with the shift, the lens stays in the same spot, eliminating any parallax that would have been caused by simply moving the lens. It's a convoluted way of doing a rear shift on a view or technical camera, and while a bit awkward, is quite effective. Until I (or someone else) comes up with a tripod clamp for the lens, this is going to have to be the solution.

Could this be what you're thinking of?
Canon TSE Tripod Collar

pfigen

That's funny because it's exactly along the lines I was thinking of designing for myself, but I'm not sure that over 500 Euros is what I had in mind. I'll have to think about that one.

Kirk Candlish

Do my eyes deceive me?
Looks like you are using some lovely vacuum tube equipment!
I now have a matched pair of the VIPRE tube mic preamps, the big black pre in the photo. I sold the Manley, it was nice but nothing special. After working with tape you need tubes in front of ProTools because digital is cold and nasty on it's own. I use Music Reference and Quicksilver amps for playback but don't have enough room for Quads.

Tubes are like film, they just do a better job. Distortion that's enjoyable and natural sounding. When film looses detail it usually does it with grain you don't mind looking at. Digital noise we spend hours correcting so we don't see it.

Since there's no way to effectively mount the Canon lens to the tripod and just slide the back (camera), you have to do a little dance with the RRS clamp to accomplish that. You do both - slide the camera AND shift - simultaneously....
Ahhh, now I get it. Thanks!

I've done the same thing using the RRS macro rail and stitched the images but I wasn't shifting and I didn't shooting anything close enough to have the parallax issue.

Could this be what you're thinking of?
Canon TSE Tripod Collar
Damn that looks like the way to go.

aboudd

Interior shot with TS-E 24

Contemporary kitchen with stainless steel counters.

Last edited:

pfigen

I ordered the Hartblei lens collar a few days ago. Unfortunately, you can only buy it directly from Hartblei. Their preferred payment method is a wire transfer which will run you $30 or they will take PayPal. The U.S. price with currency conversion, PayPal fees and shipping came to somewhere around $650.

pfigen

Okay, I got the Hartblei in the mail yesterday. I guess it took about a week from Germany to L.A. Not bad. It's very well machined and finished and even has an Arca Swiss style foot machined into the base. The base is drilled with 3/8 threads and even though the website said it came with the 1/4 in. bushings, they were nowhere to be seen. Oh well.

Unfortunately, the Arca Swiss foot built in is NOT compatible with my RRS lever clamp. It's too loose with just a hint of play and you can "walk" the adapter in the clamp if you try. So this probably means another ninety bucks for a new screw clamp head, I guess. Oh well.

The fit of the adapter to the lens is perfect. No play. No slop. You don't really need the instructions to figure it out and the only ones that came with the unit had only a few word in English, the rest in German. Thankfully, my German is okay.

The thing that is probably going to bother me the most, and it's only a cosmetic thing, is that after putting it on to my 24 T/S only twice, I can already see very small marring where the adapter slides on to the lens. I don't know if there is any way around that, given the tolerances, but that certainly is a bit of a disappointment. But, since the lens is a tool and one I'm not likely to get rid of any time soon, that will have to part of the price of ownership.

In the meantime, while I waited for the adapter to arrive, I ended up doing a 24mm T/S product shot in the studio. No tilts or shifts, but thirty-nine focus slices cobbled with Helicon. Thought I'd shoot my new flashlight before it got bunged up.

Kirk Candlish

The fit of the adapter to the lens is perfect. No play. No slop. You don't really need the instructions to figure it out and the only ones that came with the unit had only a few word in English, the rest in German. Thankfully, my German is okay.
Are the English instructions I posted above not correct for the adapter ?

They're from the manufacturer that Hartblei buys the adapter from.

The thing that is probably going to bother me the most, and it's only a cosmetic thing, is that after putting it on to my 24 T/S only twice, I can already see very small marring where the adapter slides on to the lens. I don't know if there is any way around that, given the tolerances, but that certainly is a bit of a disappointment.
That is unfortunate but when you think about it the lens would need to have an anodized finish in order to not mar.

Thank you very much for posting your experience with the adapter. I hope you'll post some images from working with it as well.

Nice flashlight shot!