The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS 5D MK 3 for $2240 - Refurbished from Canon Direct

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's what they can get probably. The market is changing. Competition from mirrorless cameras is getting harder with each new model from SonPanaLympic, and cameras that aren't even new will have to be sold at much less than the 3,000 dollars they could get a year or so ago.

The question for the future will be if production costs can be kept low enough if or when sales figures start sinking. As nice as full frame cameras are, they are niche products in a diminishing niche. Are Canon and Nikon invincible? Of course they are... just like Titanic.

StephenPatterson

A friend of mine bought a brand new 5D III in Phnom Penh last week for $2649 from LOT Camera, an authorized dealer with a huge inventory of Canon bodies and lenses. That's about $400 less than I have seen in Hong Kong. All boxes and paperwork. He also bought the new 24-70 for $2K and the 16-35 for $1250. Nothing like doing a little shopping on holiday!

Shashin

As nice as full frame cameras are, they are niche products in a diminishing niche.
Really? As far as I know there are quite a few FF cameras on the market:

Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 6D
Canon 1D X
Nikon D800
Nikon D800E
Nikon D600
Nikon D4
Sony a99
Sony RX1
Leica M
Leica M9
Leica ME
Leica Monochrom

The Canon 5D MkII and Nikon D3x are still available new. It seems to me that the number of cameras available are not dropping. Was there a time in the past where you had more choice?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
More choices doesn't necessarily mean more sales. Most of the growth in the exchangeable camera market comes within the mirrorless market. Only the Leica M is a true mirrorless, 35mm camera. The D3X and 5DII are available because Nikon and Canon haven't managed to sell the remaining stock. They are surely long out of production.

I know so many photographers with a 35mm DSLR sitting at their desk, and an OM-D or a NEX in the camera bag. As volume models, the 6D and the D600 make sense. All the rest will have to fight for market shares among a relatively small group of professionals and enthusiasts, and even many of those are going towards smaller formats.

Shashin

More choices doesn't necessarily mean more sales. Most of the growth in the exchangeable camera market comes within the mirrorless market. Only the Leica M is a true mirrorless, 35mm camera. The D3X and 5DII are available because Nikon and Canon haven't managed to sell the remaining stock. They are surely long out of production.

I know so many photographers with a 35mm DSLR sitting at their desk, and an OM-D or a NEX in the camera bag. As volume models, the 6D and the D600 make sense. All the rest will have to fight for market shares among a relatively small group of professionals and enthusiasts, and even many of those are going towards smaller formats.
These are and always have been expensive products. Consumer cameras, compacts, mirrorless, APS-C DSLRs, always sell at higher volumes. Growth usually is greater in new markets as old markets approach saturation (I am more likely to buy something new than replace what I have). But you have not actually shown that the FF frame market is diminishing--you can get growth in one sector and while another sector keeps the same sales but will simply look smaller--if one year I make $20 dollar selling FF and $80 dollars selling everything else and the next year I make $20 dollars with FF and $120 dollars with everything else does not actually mean I am losing a market even though the share of the total decreases.

Every cycle has a point where the new model coming out is timed while the old model is there (production usually ends long before stock runs out). The point I was trying to make is there are many FF models available. The interest in the 5D MkII, D800/E, Leica M, a99, and RX1 releases certain show a great deal of enthusiasm in camera enthusiasts, if GetDPI and a number of other forums are any indication. Certainly these people are buying these cameras. (For all the photographers dumping their FF for smaller formats, a surprising number of threads featuring new FF by GetDPI members seem to be coming up. Even Amin of Serious Compact fame bought a FF camera.) I don't see a demand problem.

As far as arguing that the cheaper models sell better than the more expensive models, when has that never been the case? Expensive cameras tend to have a smaller market, but expensive cameras are sold. I am sure Leica will sell their new S. But I am also sure more D600s will be sold.

Sharokin

I know so many photographers with a 35mm DSLR sitting at their desk, and an OM-D or a NEX in the camera bag. As volume models, the 6D and the D600 make sense. All the rest will have to fight for market shares among a relatively small group of professionals and enthusiasts, and even many of those are going towards smaller formats.[/QUOTE]

The companies you mentioned who have "growth" in the segment unlike Canon and Nikon are all junk stock. Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic all can be bought for the price of an IQ 180 back, without body.:D

aboudd

As the likely ranking dinosaur in this thread I am committed to both FF and MF digital. I've tried the smaller cameras and disliked them. The quality of the sensors is not equal to full frame, and I didn't expect them to be and I find EVFs irritating. For me, it is the image, not the size of the camera that counts. I do have a little Sony RX100 for family and casual shots, but I don't use it for anything serious.