The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D3 with Leica R lens adapter-Any ideas?

algrove

I want the adapter that will give focus confirmation on the 5D3.

Also if anyone knows is there a Hasselblad V lens adapter that also gives focus confirmation on the 5D3?

Many adapters for either R or V seem to say they will not work on the 5D3. Don't know why.

algrove

Thanks for the link. My only problem with this is that I would be switching the R lenses to Leica bodies and then the standard Leica bayonet would not work.

Any other suggestions considering my specific needs for R lens flexibility?

algrove

Went to a dealer near me and tried to get that Novoflex adapter to work on his 5D3 and it would not recognize a lens was on the camera. He said the camera did not detect a lens even being present. My goal is to get focus confirmation in the VF using an R lens.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume for focus confirmation you will need to have a chip...so Leitax may be the only one available. The change out is just a few screws...reversible without damage to the lens.

Bob

ShooterSteve

I assume for focus confirmation you will need to have a chip...so Leitax may be the only one available. The change out is just a few screws...reversible without damage to the lens.

Bob
I have a few adapters for my Leica R's to Canon and have been using them for years. There is one company that made the adapter with a chip for focus confirmation. But I just tried the website and it no longer exists. I have the 19 2.8, 35 f2 and 28 2.8. They are fabulous.

I find the only way to focus accurately is with live view, although for anything 10' away or more I just usually zone focus if i'm not on a tripod.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I've converted the mount on my Canon 55mm F/1.2 FD lens over to EOS mount. I've got the latest Generation 4 Dandelion chip preprogrammed with the lens focal length and reporting the maximum aperture. These chips are mostly useful for proper light metering and EXIF data reporting but they are also focus confirmation chips. I recommend using 10x live view for most accurate focus or getting a good focus screen. These chips are not very accurate for focus I've found, even once adjusted correctly.

NOTHING beats focus accuracy of 10X Live View.

With that said, these Dandelion chips cost around $25 USD and can be added to most lens mount adapters to give you EXIF information in your files, and rudimentary or "rough" focus confirmation from your R glass on a Canon body.

algrove

Chuck
Is your experience with the 5D3?

It seems most adapter companies and individuals who say they get focus confirmation with an adapter are using 5D2 models.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck
Is your experience with the 5D3?

It seems most adapter companies and individuals who say they get focus confirmation with an adapter are using 5D2 models.
Yep, woking like a champ with my 5D3. I don't have any experience with the others, but this chip I can confirm works just fine for focus confirmation.