The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1DsmkIII vs 5DII IQ comparisons

fotografz

So, since I wasn't a fan of the 1DsMKIII files, I guess I won't be missing anything from the 5DMII files. ;)

Mark, you are probably right about the AF. Hard to beat the 1 Series cameras ... plus you can pound nails with them ... in the rain.

Dual card slots is one of the main features of the 1 Series that can still be worth it's weight in gold ... which is about what that camera costs :D

mark1958

If i was starting de novo and not already own a 1DsmkIII, I would probably just get a 5DII because of the size and price differential but the issue of AF for those fast action shots... Perhaps a 5DII and 1DIII is a good combo.

So, since I wasn't a fan of the 1DsMKIII files, I guess I won't be missing anything from the 5DMII files. ;)

Mark, you are probably right about the AF. Hard to beat the 1 Series cameras ... plus you can pound nails with them ... in the rain.

Dual card slots is one of the main features of the 1 Series that can still be worth it's weight in gold ... which is about what that camera costs :D

N

nei1

A problem I have with the more expensive digital cameras is the lack of weather sealing on some of them.This to me on an all electronic camera is essential,a basic necessity.Am I wrong in this,in practice do the unprotected cameras have problems after being used in the rain or by the sea in heavy spray or am I being overly cautious?
ps.maybe I should have put this somewhere else,it occured to me while reading here about the new 5d as I believe the sealing has not been improved.

Last edited:

fotografz

A problem I have with the more expensive digital cameras is the lack of weather sealing on some of them.This to me on an all electronic camera is essential,a basic necessity.Am I wrong in this,in practice do the unprotected cameras have problems after being used in the rain or by the sea in heavy spray or am I being overly cautious?
ps.maybe I should have put this somewhere else,it occured to me while reading here about the new 5d as I believe the sealing has not been improved.
I know that the 1 series Canons are all weather sealed, and if used with a lens featuring the o ring seals & a UV filter they are pretty well sealed against the elements (not submergible.) I think the D3 is well sealed also.

I once was caught out in the open with my H3D-II MFD camera in an sudden deluge driven by gale force winds ... we were all soaked to the bone but the camera was fine ... but I think I was just lucky.

N

nei1

You must have had a few nerve racking days after that.How much extra would it hve cost say leica to seal up the designed from scratch M8 and then not remedy the situation with the M8 2 either? unforgivable.Yet with the S system its waterproofing is one of its innovative features,didnt it always rain in germany?
Ill stop this gentle rant as its obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited: