The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter Adapter for Canon 17 TS-E

Bob Parsons

Lee makes an adaptor for this lens. I have it, but have not used it as yet.
...... as do Fotodiox in the US. There is an adapter that allows you to use 145mm CPL and ND filters including an equivalent to the Lee Big Stopper. The adapter is part of the FreeArc system which also supports 6.5 x 8.5 inch ND grads so you are able to use almost the full range of shift and tilt. A word of advice if anyone contemplates buying any of these from a third party such as Amazon. Always check with Fotodiox that you are buying the latest versions, ie. multicoated and/or slim and the FreeArc system. Not all vendors have the most up to date items or full range. I found this out the expensive way!

Bob.

I have the Lee filter adapter and have used it...very worthwhile..with the 100mm filters, does not give you the full range of movements without vignetting, but it is very close..I find that the 17mm does not need to be shifted to its outer limits for the work I do all that often. I looked at the fotodiox offering but decided the extra shift coverage was not worth the extra size, cost, logistics for me...I use the 100mm with lee holders for all of my canon lenses..

Bob Parsons

In hindsight I tend to agree. Although the Fotodiox setup gives you the extra movement, like you, I very seldom need it. The filters are quite large and 4.2mm thick. They take up a lot of bag room in their protective covers. I don't have a satisfactory solution for a mix of ND grads and polarizer. The grads exhibit birefringence at the junction between light and dark areas which means if you want to add a polarizer you have to place a circular polarizer in front of the grads. From experience with the Lee RF 75 system their filters are free of birefringence and the polarizer can be behind or in front of the grads. Since their filter production is in house and standardised I'd assume the 100mm system would behave in the same way.

If I hadn't got such an investment in Fotodiox I'd seriously consider Lee.

Here's how Lee filters are made: http://vimeo.com/18124775

Bob.

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

The Lee standard 100mm filter holder works with Lee's 4" square glass polarizer which can be rotated to control the polarizing effect with ease.

I use this polarizer for all of my canon lenses with the Lee system and get very satisfactory results..

Regards,
George Pappas