The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the 6D a likely backup body to the 5D3?

algrove

The 6D has 20MP and is FF. Uses the same battery as the 5D3. Can use the same EF lenses. Costs +- USD1200 less than the 5D3. I am just not sure about the AF mechanism. Fast or slow when compared to the 5D3? How accurate? Any comment?

algrove

You mean all you guys and gals never take a backup when on a trip far from home when taking your 5D whatever?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You mean all you guys and gals never take a backup when on a trip far from home when taking your 5D whatever?
I always do, but I'm not a Canon user. Still, from all I've read about the 6D, I would think that it's the perfect backup camera for many of the more expensive Canon models. It also has a few advantages compared to the 5DIII, like exchangeable focusing screens, GPS and WiFi, making it more suitable for some applications and a nice supplement.

But again, I haven't owned a Canon camera since the A95, so what do I know :rolleyes:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I actually stopped using backups already some years ago!

I always carried this backup and never used it. And usually the backup was a different model of a certain system (often an older one) so switching between main and backup was again not great and easy, as all cameras are layed ot differently.

My backup is the iPhone :D I am dead serious :cool:

Paratom

My backup is most of the times an additional smaller camera (system).
Either a RX100 or a OMD for example.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My backup is most of the times an additional smaller camera (system).
Either a RX100 or a OMD for example.
Well, this depends what you call small :)

I do not consider the OMD small since I am happily using a Pentax Q - this is really small while offering exceptional IQ (for this size) and never expected programmability for such a small camera.

gfspencer

I just got a 6D. My backup will be a Panasonic GX-1. :( But to answer your question, I think the 6D would be a great backup to a 5DIII.

I've used my son's 5DIII. (It's a great camera.) So I know a little about the two. IMHO the 6D focuses as fast as a 5DIII if you aren't shooting a moving target. There just aren't as many focus points on a 6D. (I center focus and recompose so it doesn't bother me to have fewer focus points.) The 6D might even focus better in low light.

Paratom

Well, this depends what you call small :)

I do not consider the OMD small since I am happily using a Pentax Q - this is really small while offering exceptional IQ (for this size) and never expected programmability for such a small camera.
Last vacation I brought the S2 and the OMD-so the OMD (with grip) felt small ;)

algrove

I just got a 6D. My backup will be a Panasonic GX-1. :( But to answer your question, I think the 6D would be a great backup to a 5DIII.

I've used my son's 5DIII. (It's a great camera.) So I know a little about the two. IMHO the 6D focuses as fast as a 5DIII if you aren't shooting a moving target. There just aren't as many focus points on a 6D. (I center focus and recompose so it doesn't bother me to have fewer focus points.) The 6D might even focus better in low light.
You make many good points. I only AF my 5D3 on spot so from your comment it might make sense to have a 6D. I will have to check one out at my local dealer.

In your hand does the 6D seem much smaller than the 5D3? Thanks.

gfspencer

In your hand does the 6D seem much smaller than the 5D3? Thanks.
The 6D feels smaller (and actually is smaller) than the 5DIII but the 6D suits my hand just fine. However, I have ordered a Canon wrist strap to make my hold on the camera a little firmer. All things considered, the 6D has a great shape.

A battery grip would give the camera some more bulk but IMHO that would defeat the purpose of a travel camera. If I were going to use my 100-400 lens for a long period of time I might add a battery grip.