The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6D for a "Reportage" Camera

gfspencer

I'm thinking the 6D would make a great "reportage" camera. It isn't a great big camera. You could put it in the extra quiet shutter mode and shoot with the 40mm pancake lens. The 6D is a heck of a lot quieter than my old M8 and unlike the M8 the 6D is full frame and works great in low light.

What do you think?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would think the 6D is ideal for reportage. It's relatively compact, will give you excellent image quality under most lighting conditions, there are tons of fantastic lenses available for it, Canon as well as other brands, it has built in GPS with tagging, it has built in WiFi, it has exchangeable focusing screens if you prefer manual focus.... etc.

If I was sure I needed a 35mm digital camera for travel photography, I would seriously consider one in spite of being a Nikon user. Must be good :)

algrove

What about the RX-1? FF, 24MP, Zeiss 35mm f2.0 lens, AF, EVF accessory, small size, nearly silent leaf shutter, sounds pretty adept at street reportage. Many say the images are right up there with the D800.

Uaiomex

What ISO Eduardo?
ISO 16000 (auto iso)
1/160
f2.8

ACR
Noise Red.: Luminance 28. Color 31
WB: "As shot" AWB in camera.

I can fit this combo in a standard Nike waist pouch. It feels at times a little heavy but I can carry the camera all the day hands free and totally stealthy. People usually are surprised when I produce a FF camera like magic.

Best
Eduardo

Paratom

I'm thinking the 6D would make a great "reportage" camera. It isn't a great big camera. You could put it in the extra quiet shutter mode and shoot with the 40mm pancake lens. The 6D is a heck of a lot quieter than my old M8 and unlike the M8 the 6D is full frame and works great in low light.

What do you think?
I opted for the 5dIII instead because I have 2 small fast kids and wanted max. AF. I am quite happy with the camera. The quiet shutter is nice.
However I never found the shutter sound of M8/M9 to be a problem.
And a 6d is still considerable bigger than a M8.
If you compare the M8 with the 6d I would say:
6d advantage:
+much better IQ when shooting ISO 1000 and higher
+AF
+ more MP - advantage for big prints

M8 advantages:
+ IMO up to ISO 640 more "pop" IQ
+ smaller (specially the lenses) (the Canon 40 is maybe very small, but its an exception and I doubt you can compare its optical quality to the Leica/Zeiss/CV lenses)

I still use both systems - the Canon I use when I want long reach or need fast AF or in low low light. However I would prefer a fast 50mm or 35mm over the 40mm pancake.

hassiman

How does the 6D IQ compare to a D600 in RAW?

I am Trying to decide if I want a 6D or a D600... just wondering how the IQ compares?:confused:

peterb

After much deliberation (and vacillation) among the myriad of fantastic camera choices today I've decided to move away from mfT where I had been for a good while and Foveon APS-C (which I find too limiting at times) and opt for FF.

The photography I like is generally random people shots (which I suppose could be considered 'street' photography) and landscape. I've rarely used flash and prefer available light. (In studio portrait conditions where I do use flash it's just a single large light bank and a white card reflector for fill.) So I guess that qualifies for 'reportage'.

Like many, a choice has boiled down to two candidates: Canon's 6D and Nikon's D600 (which may soon become supplanted by a rumored D610).
I've concluded that the features of the 6D, for me, make it an ideal choice for available light work that I prefer.

The thing is there are two lenses that have caught my eye. The Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the Samyang 85mm f1.4 (for Brenizer style images).

Has anyone had any experience using this camera (or any other Canon FF) with these optics? Just curious about your impressions of the way these lenses render images.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JSRockit

What do you think?
My question to you is what makes you think it wouldn't be good?