The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D Mark lll refurb's?

jpaulmoore

Hello all, I am considering a 5D Mark lll refurb from Canon Direct? Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurb? What about warranties and condition of camera if not satisfied with the condition?
Thanks,
J. Paul

I have had only great experiences with Canon Direct refurbs. You can also sometimes get even better price using the Canon Loyalty Program, but that requires you to send them a broken, out of warranty Canon camera. I feel like it's a great deal--I figure they probably test them, and maybe to better hands-on standards than the standard new camera QC. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but I can say I've had problems with new Canon cameras, but never with a refurb. Good luck.

kevin2i

Hello all, I am considering a 5D Mark lll refurb from Canon Direct? Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurb? What about warranties and condition of camera if not satisfied with the condition?
Thanks,
J. Paul
I just bought one (15% off a few weeks ago) - for $2500 shipped (including tax) it was hard to pass up. It does come in a 'refurb'box, but besides that it looks new. It appears mine came with a new LCD screen, and impossible to tell from a 'new' camera except for the dot on the serial number.

Information:
Canon Direct Store Customer Service - Buy Canon Canon Direct Store Customer Service - Buy Canon Cameras, Lenses & Flashes, Printers & All-In-Ones, Camcorders, Binoculars, Projectors, Scanners, Copiers & Fax, Calculators, Ink, Paper & Toner, Accessori

Information on the site leads me to believe it carries the standard 1-year warranty, and a 14-day return policy.

jpaulmoore

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate the additional info. Looks like refurbs are a good deal. It will be interesting to see if refurb prices drop in correlation with the recent reduction in new 5D Mark lll prices.
J. Paul

pfigen

The 5D3 refurbs are currently out of stock, but the sale price has disappeared. They're now back to $2800, in which case it's probably worth it to pay a couple hundred more for a full year warranty. That $2379 price really was a great deal. If it ever comes back, jump on it.

mazor

I bought my Canon 5D refurb back in the day, and it is still working 5 years down the track. Only issue I had was the mirror fell out of its housing, but from what I heard that is just wear and tear, considering I have clocked over image counter multiple times, one has to expect some maintenance.

If you are wanting to get a camera for pro work, I suggest going the proper channels and get new for reliability. For the Enthusiast, reburb will do the job nicely.

smartwombat

My Canon 1DSmkII refurb from the UK online store came with a 1yr warranty.
So the shutter was replaced for free then it failed at the Le Mans 24h.