The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D Mark II ISO comparisons

bradhusick

Here's a central crop at ISO levels 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200. No changes other than resizing for posting. Taken in RAW, converted with Adobe DNG converter to 16-bit TIFFs.
-Brad

Last edited:

mazor

Nice work, have not seen many RAW converted files from the 5d mk ii Would have been good to see it taken at ISO 100 as well, but I can see even at ISO 200, the image seems to be very smooth, almost as if there has been some NR put in before the RAW file came out.

I personally like the ISO800 shot, as it seems to have less of this milky look with a more filmic appearance

Mazor

bradhusick

Here are the ISO 50 and ISO 100 shots. The camera treats ISO 50 somewhat differently, calling it "L". I took the ISO 50 from a slightly lower angle, so ignore the reflection differences in the brass.

Last edited:

Lars

What white balance did you use? It would affect color noise (not that there is much to speak of).

The "L" for 50 ISO means that base ISO is 100 and for ISO 50 the highlight latitude in the sensor is used?

bradhusick

Here are two shot with the Leica M8.2, RAW, auto WB, approx the same focal length, also at f/4. First is ISO 1250, second at ISO 160. Sorry for the camera movement, I'm not on a tripod.

All of these shots were taken at f/4 with auto exposure, so the camera is picking the exposure level.

Last edited:

mazor

hmm, nice to see some comparative M8.2 images. It is plainly obvious that the 5d mk2 at ISO3200 here has alot less noise than the M8.2 at ISO 1250, and even after noise ninja applied, the 5dmk2 shot seems to have kept the noise still at a lower level.

ISO160 on the M8.2 is impressive with no discernible noise what so ever. On the 5dmk2 though, it seems the wood grain behind the door has alot more depth, possibly different exposure? I would have to say there must be as the M8.2 shot even at ISO 1250 shows camera shake, and the 5dmk2 shows alot less shake. I would imagine the M8.2 would be easier to hold stable than the 5dmkii as there is no mirror slap, and the M8.2 is smaller.

MAzor

robertwright

the can of worms opens up!

am I correct to assume the IS on the lens is why there is so little camera movement on the 1/4 second exposure of the 5DII?

or was there a tripod for the canon shots?

I think the comparison is interesting because it speaks to the real advantage vs. the perceived advantage of canon's low noise hi ISO performance. When you factor in all the slow canon glass, the fact that stopping down is a must even on some L primes, (however they cost 1/3rd of the leica) plus the AA filter, the difference in noise performance may only be a stop.

but factor in IS and suddenly all the slow canon zooms are much more usable. it is a difference in philosophy more than anything.

If leica managed to create a new M9, whatever the crop factor, in camera image stabilization would be amazing. It would relieve some of the burden to push high ISO.

bradhusick

Yes, the Canon lens used was the 24-105 f/4 with IS. Interesting observations. I will try to do two shots exposed more evenly and both on a tripod.

I will start another thread with calibration images for Noise Ninja for the 5Dm2.
-Brad

robertwright

looking at the samples in the other thread I guess the noise advantage is more like two stops fully...:eek:

the comparison I want to see is strength to strength. Leica wide open at whatever shutter than yields, Auto ISO, in the same light as the 5DmkII with IS on, best combination shutter/ISO AND--best aperture that can deliver a similarly sharp image to the leica prime. I am not sure the 24-105 is that good wide open, more like a stop and a half down? So then you are at 5.6-1/2 or f8, maybe 1/8th of a second with IS-what ISO is that? 3200? to the Leica which might be f2, 1/30th, 320ISO, cron75 (effective 100mm)

then run it through dfine to mush it up a bit like the canon, and downsample the canon to 10mp (which should give it the advantage) and compare that.

Which is all fine and good, for pixel peeping. I think printing the image I would appreciate the extra pixels of the 5DII no matter what.

similar, but different. I'm on a waiting list for my 5D-how did you get yours so quick??

mark1958

IN my early experience to date, I am really impressed with the 5DII noise at the high isos. Even 6400 are quite usable. Even shadows that are bit underexposed. TO make it clear, the 5DII and DFINE noise filter together is just an unbeatable combo. Very pleased so far.