The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EOS M

hot

I am using my EOSM with a (tripod) pistol grip (price $25-$40) and
a display viewer ($13-$15). This display viewer has no diopter
compensation, but you can use it with glasses (very big lens).

Same pistol grips you get under names Slik, Opteka, Polaroid,
Barska, Sunpak ... don't buy for $80 or $100 or more .. or only
if YOUR name is Rockefeller.

Display viewer magnifies lcd 3x, so you get a 9" display (buy
it with 3:2). It fits exactly, you have to use a small metal
frame - build in viewer are 4 magnets - so you can attach
and remove viewer very fast.

Opteka TS 1 Tacshot Pistol Grip Ball Head for Tripods Monopods Open Box | eBay

Barska Pistol Grip Tripod Mount AF11604 for Cameras and Spotting Scopes - YouTube

2 8x 3" LCD Magnifier Eyecup Viewfinder Extender 4 Canon EOS 550D T2i Nikon D90 | eBay

mazor

Hot some lovely pics coming from your Eos M, but man, that full rig with pistol grip and viewfinder addon. I ask, why you are doing this to this ultra compact APS-C camera?? If you wanted a better grip, and wanted a proper viewfinder, why not get a 650D? It has exactly the same sensor, and may have better picture quality, since the sensor does not have to be on all the time for preview, and hence less heat.

Please please tell us why...

hot

Size is no problem :) ... I have Canon 350/450/550 - whyyyy a 650?
All have SMALL (mirror)viewfinders, ALL not suitable for video - the big problem for ALL DSLRs.
Price of 650D = € 600, 700D = € 800

Last edited:

mazor

why 650D, as 650D has identical APS-C sensor. Also it does video identical to the EOS m and both use a lcd at rear. I know what you mean though, no digital eyefinder but still good rear lcd. Also with 650D, it has more dials, and custom buttons, so it will be easier to change settings on the fly while videoing, vs eos m , which has a lack of buttons.

Since you are into video now, have you had a chance to compare the Sony Nex series doing 108p 24, vs the likes of EOS M?

hot

I didn't compare (hehe and I will not compare) NEX + EOS - I know NEX7 is better :)
Most of my videos are with NEX7 1080/50p ... EOSM cannot :-( ... NEX7 has no 24p, only 25p

Changing settings isn't a problem, if I make photos or take videos I've all time of this world :) - that's fun, noooot work!

mazor

There is no doubt the Eos-m can be a fun camera. Personally though I would not go for the adapters to EF yet, as the Eos-m has not really proven its worth yet. Not saying that I will never get an Eos-M, but Canon's first iteration of mirrorless, has been far from a success in terms of spec, and sales.

If there was a strikingly good deal for the EOS-M I may consider it, and kit it out with the smallest lens possible, the 22mm f2.0 STM. This lens, not only is tiny, but lets in descent light, plus it is plenty sharp at f2.0. The effective focal length of 35mm is a very useful too. This setup, makes for a very pocketable solution, and hence a good every day carry around camera.

hot

Huhuhu ... you may guess twice which pol filter I will buy for 500mm.
Filter size is 34mm, but for moveable pol filter you need "front" 95mm, not "rear" 34mm

hahahahaha, all my polfilters (37mm-77mm) are between $4 and $8 and
I guarantee: you will see NO differences to B+W, Kaesemann ... for $200-$300

V

Vivek

A 9" long hood for the tiny LCD nad no hood for the bIg lens?

mazor

The Fujian cctv lens looks good on the EOS M. It is more matching to the size of the body. How is the IQ of that lens? Is it much better than the samyang 600mm?

hot

Fujian 35mm/1.7 is "best" cctv lens, better than cctv 25mm/1.4 and cctv 50mm/1.4 (both are vignetting)
For this price 35mm/1.7 is excellent, of course you cannot compare with lens for 10x price.

mazor

wonder how it compared with the likes of my Oly penF 40mm f1.4. That lens does not cost too much either.

Ivan Muller

Here is my Eos M with a viewfinder from Leica and the superb 22mm f2 lens. Also included a shot, full frame and cropped, made at a local jazz concert with the 70-300L at 5000 ISO on the 'scene intelligent auto' setting which I supose is like a super 'program' and just works well.