The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24mm IS vs 24-70f2.8L II

karlfoto

Hi Forum

Has anyone done any tests of these two lenses at 24mm. I am looking for a 24mm and a 40 or 50mm, so the 24-70 might fit the bill.

Thanks

ShooterSteve

Yes, the 24-70 2.8 version 2 that I used recently was superb. But as was discussed elsewhere, there may be variation in each copy so test it when you get it. It was sharper than all my L primes in that range even wide open.

turtle

The 24-70 II, unless you get a poor one (and one hears of a very small number of disappointing copies out there - my first one had massive impact damage on the box and surprise surprise would not focus properly and was soft down one side), is absolutely amazing at 24mm.

It gets little better stopped down with respect to centre performance. Its razor sharp wide open right down to pixel peeping level and the corners are somewhat weaker but still remarkable for the aperture. It gradually improves in a very subtle incredmental way up to f5.6 when everything is perfect, but even at f2.8-4 it is better in the corners than the 24-105 L ever gets. I simply could not believe the performance when I tested mine. I have a wonderful 24 1.4 L II, but the 24-70 II has a touch more contrast and slightly better resolution around the edges/corners.

The only 24mm lens I've used that I can say definitely beats the 24-70 II is the leica-M 24 3.8 asph.

I would be amazed if the 24m IS performs better than the 24-70 II at 24mm at any aperture and I'd venture that its considerably worse in the outer field at wide apertures.