The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The old primes vs fast zoom thread

Rawfa

Haya fellas,

Latelly I´ve been thinking a lot about getting rid of my Canons 28mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 and getting a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 instead (it sounds like a very practival all purpose lens with the added benefit of marco, which I love). I know video people LOVE fast lenses but the Canon 6D is a real beast when it comes to high iso (I´ve shot ultra clean 6400 stills with it) and besides you need to have your actors practly still if you want to keep them in focus at f1.8. Plus I will keep my Canon 50mm f1.4 as my low light ace of spades anyway. I know it must sound like I have my mind made up but I would really like to hear the cons of having a fast zoom instead of the 28mm and the 85mm.

Paratom

My fav focal length is 50mm prime. I think overall I take better images with primes. When I use zooms I use the zoom too much instead of changing distance to subject.

However in some situations the flexibility of a zoom is very welcome - if you have to often change focal lengths.
On my Canon 5dIII the 24-70 is my most used lens.

mazor

prime image quality is usually better than zooms, with the exception of the 70-200 2.8L That zoom range seems to have a very good formula where the quality matches primes in similar range.

I think from what you you want, 28-75mm tamron, not sure how the IQ compared to Canons 24-70L 2.8, but I still think your primes will be better in terms of IQ

If I were you I would keep the primes and still get a zoom. Zooms are very handy for travel, or when you do not have time to switch between lens.

The Canon 6D indeed has excellent high ISO performance, and I think you have been reading Kenrockwells page, where he states that using cheaper slower zoom lens on these new Canon FF is plenty good. Even though the high ISO performance may be good, I am pretty sure low ISO performance will be even better.

The 50mm f1.4 you have brings back memories when I used to own one. It broke down so often it was no funny. Think I got it repaired over 4 times. This lens does take knocks, or and kind of heavy use. Since I sold it, I got myself a 50mm f1.2L. Build quality is far better and only had it repaired twice so far.

BTW if you are going to sell your 28mm f1.8, I would be very keen to get hold of that lens ;)

MCTuomey

Try it, then you'll know from your own experience. (Not being rude, just saying what I'd do in your situation.)

I owned a tamron 28-75 f/2.8 prior to buying a nice canon 28-70L which i'm shooting now. The tamron copy I had was a good performer, especially for the price, and not that far off my 28-70L to my mind, although I never made a direct comparison.

*Mazor* and *Paratom* said it well. Zooms are handy. Primes provide speed and usually better AF too. You may need both, a prime or two and the zoom, depending on what you do. The canon 28 & 85 f/1.8's are a fine pair of primes. I wouldn't part with them if they're nice copies.

Sheygetz

Well, I'd say the differences in handling are pretty apparent plus you will know your preferences. Re image quality: why not check with DXO, who test camera/ lens combos. There are only 12 tested on the 6d, but 96 on the 5dIII and I should think that these results, too, provide good pointers. I think there is also a write up in the reviews section on lens selection for the 6d, but nothing you cannot work out yourself crunching the numbers.

Hendrik