The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is anyone getting a Sony A7R for your Canon lenses?

torger

I've been a bit jealous on the D800E and liked to have something similar to use with my excellent Canon TS-E (for example) when shooting landscapes. Now with the new Sony A7R paired with a metabones adapter it should be possible to use this glass with the supposedly great 36.4 megapixel Sony sensor. Possibly it delivers even better image quality than the sensor in the D800E as Sony has the tradition of adapting their color filters for better color rendition and sacrifice a bit of high ISO performance.

I'm a little tempted to buy one with an adapter for the sole reason of being able to shoot higher resolution (and higher DR) with my Canon glass, but in the long-term sell it and get a Canon body when they (hopefully) release something competitive.

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

V

Vivek

I am not a Canon user but it makes no sense not to get one, especially to use the T/S lenses!

mazor

Wonder, can the existing metabones EF to NEx adapter work with the A7r. I suspect there would be vignetting since it was designed to mate with an APS-C sensor and the electronics in the adapter makes the internal diameter smaller.

Cineski

I think Canon will answer this with a full frame EOS M. That's why it's been so quiet, I think they got caught with their pants down right before they were going to announce the new 1.6 crop M.

mazor

wil be interesting to see. Was never really impressed at the EOS M. I do not think it made much of a dent into the Sony Nex sales

monza

Wonder, can the existing metabones EF to NEx adapter work with the A7r. I suspect there would be vignetting since it was designed to mate with an APS-C sensor and the electronics in the adapter makes the internal diameter smaller.
Apparently so, it's in use in the video from Camera Store, start at about 11:28 in the video.

V

Vivek

Well spotted, Robert. :)

That btw is version III (the current one), I believe.

mazor

nice, gues though if you use canon Ef on a7, you stil will not get any benefits from on sensor pdaf, and be fully reliant on super slow cdaf on a lens designed for pdaf.

ShooterSteve

I think Canon will answer this with a full frame EOS M. That's why it's been so quiet, I think they got caught with their pants down right before they were going to announce the new 1.6 crop M.
Well it's not only the sensor size that makes the Sony/Nikon special. It's the quality of the 36mp sensor's low noise and high dynamic range that puts is in a class of it's own so far. If the Sony has the same qualities as the Nikon D800E, then it will be hard to resist if it will work with Canon EF lenses - until Canon comes out with a comparable camera.

mazor

hmm, scary that Canon themselves have still not yet released a full frame 36MP type sensor, but I have seen rumours of a 75MP type sensor possibly in the development pipeline

Uaiomex

It certainly will work with Canon EF glass. Don't know if it will with TS. The sensor is actually bigger than the throat, which makes me think that putting a FF sensor to the E-mount is an improvisation. I'll wait for a full test before I get excited. And since Canon seems nowadays to be going into chicken farming and dumping camera making, chances are I would buy an A7r before I switch systems.
Eduardo

Paratom

I wouldnt not be willing to eccept the compromises in handling of such a unit just to gain some resolution and DR.
How big do you print?

Uaiomex

I routinely make 24X36" prints. I find the A7r very attractive to improve over my 6D files. I'll wait for 3 things to happen before I buy one.
1. Wait for full in-field tests with 24TSEII to be successful.
2. Wait for a few months to avoid being a beta tester
3. Wait till next PMA.

If no Canon contender to Nikon D800E/Sony A7r announced by then, I'll order one with no lens.
Eduardo

jfzander

17 mm and 24 mm TS.

And I am selling the 5DIII and all the other stuff.

And I doubt very much, that in the near future, lets say the next 2 years, Canon will have a sensor which will be on par with the Sony.

miska

So has any practical experience on the subject trickled down yet ?
How is AF with the Metabones adapter ? How is the image quality with the adapter and say a 24-70 f/2.8 II or 24mm TS-E ?
I saw an Alpha 7R in a shop yesterday (nice and small, seems well built and also popular, since several people wanted to see it), but unfortunately the store didn't have a Metabones adapter, so couldn't test by myself...

S

Shelby Lewis

Yes. I'd bet the Ts-e lenses and the 85/50 f1.2 lenses will be loads of fun on the A7R

Double Negative

Not Available
I was thinking about the A7R for my Leica M lenses, but the more I think about it, the more I might consider one for all the L glass. From what I've seen it works pretty well with less colorization issues. The key of course is getting a decent adapter (e.g. Metabones).

I've been holding out, waiting for a 5D Mark IV but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Might as well look elsewhere. Bonus; you can bolt up just about anything to the Sony.

turtle

I've got an A7R coming in the post.

I'll be keeping the 5D III as, with the exception of the 1 DX and D4, that camera is unparalleled for dynamic/moving/speed needing situations. Unless you are dealing with high dynamic range scenes, IMO, the 5D III is still the best camera on the market for all round DSLR usage. High DR scenes are, for me, the minority, but when they arise its oh so irritating to have to try to shoot multiple exposures (what if there is subject movement) and using DFine to sort out the inevitable banding when you pull the shadows.

I got the A7R for travel and tripod work, so I can look forward to less weight and bulk and much greater DR for those challenging landscapes. I do a lot of urban work and so the 24 TS-E will get well used. 15,000 pixel wide shift panoramas, YES PLEASE!