The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Urgent question!!!!

Rawfa

Hi,

I just bought a nikon D90 and I have found out that the live view serves only for framing...while I was looking for a DSLR that would allow me to use the LCD like a compact and view the final image. Do you know if the Canon 1000D/Rebel XS does this??? I'm still in time to return the D90 but I need to do it FAST! If the Canon 1000D/Rebel XS DOESN'T do it do you know any other that will??

R

Ranger 9

I saw your question on a couple of other fora. I think you'll find that all DSLRs can show the final image after exposure, but you have to switch out of Live View mode to do it.

The reason is that the final image contains a lot more pixels than the live view image, so the camera needs time to process and display the extra data.

Compacts actually work the same way -- it's just that normally they display live view all the time, rather than shutting it off after each exposure. If you want to see what you actually got in the final image (did the subject blink? did the flash reflect in the background?) you still have to switch the camera from picture-taking mode to playback mode, so you can see what was in the actual pictures.

Rawfa

Thanks, but what I mean is (eg.) when you close the shutter on a compact you can see the image getting darker and when you take the photo it is a replica of what you were seeing on the lcd. On the D90 you could close the shutter, increase the iso, whatever and the image on the LCD with live view stayed the same. What I'd like to know is if the 1000D/rebel xs employs the live view like the D90 or like a regular compact...

trisberg

Rafa,

I haven't used the XS/1000D but I saw the following on the DPReview site:

"One very useful feature in Live View is depth-of-field (DOF) preview, when the DOF preview button is pressed the camera stops the lens down to the selected aperture which provides you with an accurate representation of the depth-of-field of the final image. This system has advantages over the optical viewfinder in that it doesn't darken and can correctly represent the effects of large maximum apertures.

Depth of field preview can also be used in collaboration with the live view magnification to get a really detailed understanding of what will and won't be sharply in focus in the final image."

See: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page10.asp

So it seems that it can do what you are looking for but you must press the DoF preview button.

-Thomas

N

nei1

If you have any doubts take it back.if youre doubts are unfounded then buy another one.relaxxxxxxx.all the best nei1.

Rawfa

If you have any doubts take it back.if youre doubts are unfounded then buy another one.relaxxxxxxx.all the best nei1.
Darn straight! I'm going to try the Canon 1000D/ Rebel XS and see how does it fare agains the D90 (image and live view wise). If that doesn't go well I might just try the Lumix G1.