The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

40mm EF f/2.8 pancake compatibility question

tbhv55

Does anyone on the forum have experience of using the 40mm Canon pancake lens on a 5D Mk1?

I seem to recall reading something about a 5D Mk2 (or later) being required for FULL functionality with regard to using manual focus with this lens. However, I'm not at all certain about this 'recollection', so I thought I'd ask on here for any first-hand user experience. TIA.

Last edited:

tbhv55

I've had this question answered outside the forum.

I can't find any way of deleting this thread, so perhaps a mod would delete it.

tbhv55

The answer was: Yes, it works fine!

I must have been mistaken regarding the article which (I thought) I'd read...:confused:

Oren Grad

You can't update the firmware of the 40 STM yourself using a 5D - you need a relatively recent body (T4i, 5DIII, 1D X or later) to be able to do that. This was an issue because early-production 40's needed a firmware update to fix a little bug:

Product Advisories

Thank you for using Canon products.

Canon has released a firmware update for the EF40mm f/2.8 STM Interchangeable Lens for Canon Digital SLR Camera.

Affected Product
EF40mm f/2.8 STM

Details
Firmware Version 1.2.0 addresses the following phenomenon.

1. If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

I had to send my 40 back to Canon for the update because I didn't have a late-model body at the time.

But other than that, the 40 works fine on any EOS body back to the very beginning.

tbhv55

Interesting - thanks for posting. I hadn't heard or read anything about this particular problem.

How long ago did you purchase your 40mm? Presumably, a lens purchased now would (or should ;)) have the later firmware. Do you happen to know whether there is a method to check which firmware is installed on the lens, if you have an earlier camera? TIA.

tbhv55

I found the answer to my own question... here's an extract from the Canon UK website:-

The lenses with the following serial numbers are equipped with Firmware Version 1.1.0:

The third digit in the serial number is either 0, 1, or 2 (xx0xxxxxxx、xx1xxxxxxx、xx2xxxxxxx).

Lenses with serial numbers other than those listed above are equipped with Firmware Version 1.2.0

tbhv55

A quick follow-up to this thread... I purchased the EF 40mm f/2.8, and am pleased with it.

Its IQ is good; not absolutely great - but certainly very acceptable, especially for the price. I find that I prefer the 40mm focal length, in use, to either a 35mm or a 50mm. It's interesting that a small difference in focal length can make such a difference. The lens is also very small and light.:thumbup:

In value-for-money terms, for me, it's a definite winner. The EF 40mm has been practically welded to my 5D in recent weeks, and that camera has seen more use as a consequence.