The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D mirror shaving?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm thinking when I get my 5DMkII of having my 5D's mirror shaved for use with the Leica R lenses which require that.

What are some shops which do that and about what does it run?

johnastovall

I stopped DIY projects when putting up floor to ceiling book shelves, I driiled a hole in the main hot water line the house.

woodyspedden

I'm thinking when I get my 5DMkII of having my 5D's mirror shaved for use with the Leica R lenses which require that.

What are some shops which do that and about what does it run?
Hey John

I had my 1DsMkII mirror shaved by Kurt Kamka who is part of this forum. I also had a 5D mirror shaved by Pham Minh Son who also is a very active participant on this forum. I don't know if either of them still do this work but if not they probably know someone who does.

Woody

johnastovall

Woody, thanks for the information. I had forgotten Kurt Kamka did mirror shaving. Once I get my 5DMkII in I'll contact him for advice.

Dolce Moda

Are the Leica R lenses that good? How do they compare to the L series? What is the difference with the 2 cam/3 cam thing?

(interested in Leica R)

Stuart Richardson

Yes, some of them are amazing, some of them are just good. None of them are really dogs (at least that I have used). The best (technically) tend to be the newest versions, particularly the 15mm and 19mm elmarits, new zooms (21-35, 28-90, 35-70/2.8, 70-180/2.8), the 28/2.8 (latest), 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 E60, the 80/1.4 (for its look more than its MTF) and then the APO lenses like the 90/2 APO, 100/2.8 APO, 180/2.8 APO, 180/2 APO and 280/4 APO as well as the uber-expensive APO telyt-system.

All the lenses listed above are superb, with many photographers preferring them to L lenses. Some in particular are unquestionably superior to the Canon equivalents (15 and 19mm, 100/2.8 APO, 180/2.8 APO, 280/4 etc).

The 2 cam 3 cam thing is best answered at Andrew Nemeth's Leica FAQ: http://leica.nemeng.com/001c.shtml

Suffice to say that 2 cam is older than 3 cam is older than ROM. Since you are not using it on an R, it does not matter much other than with respect to age. Most of the newest lenses are only offered in 3 cam and ROM.