The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 5Ds/5DsR

torger

They look excellent and the construction images on the 5DsR have no signs of moire so a good indication for us Architectural shooters.
Yes they looked better than I thought they would, but there is a little moire, look at the fence at the bottom for example, attached a crop. It's not so easily seen, but it's there, look the tints of the fence changing between green/cyan and magenta, there should be no such colors there. Also note that the image is quarter size so it would be a little bit easier to see in full resolution.

It seems likely that moire will be milder than we're used to from MFD, but it will be there.

gazwas

Yes, I did notice that but ever so slight and probably very easy to fix. Also noticed some strange patterns in brickwork on the skyline shot but I'm struggling to see any real disadvantages or problems in these files. For architectural photographers I think it look very promising.

torger

Maybe pixel peep joy will win on this one :). It will depend on time one has to make post-processing work to fixup any moire issues, I guess it's more likely that one will leave the moire as is and hope no-one will notice (which probably is the most likely case, as it looks like it's going to be relatively mild).

gazwas

Maybe pixel peep joy will win on this one :).
:D

Yes, looking over these files with a fine tooth comb specifically looking for problems is not my usual practice when processing my images so I think the above very slight issues would easily pass for any client.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I have to say that the sample files are not as disappointing as many supposed reviewers said they would be, and these are downsized to boot.

Perhaps there is some more promise than the doomsayers lead us to believe.

gazwas

So will any of you buy one?

Will you keep your "other" Canon DSLR as a backup?
I don't see any reason not to get one as it looks excellent having seen the test shots from the prototype cameras currently on the web. The only reason I can see not to buy one is if Sony do sonething amazing with the A7RII and by amazing I don't mean just adding 50Mpix to the current A7II body.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Even if Sony does do something amazing, I find that each camera system is unique in its own way.

Until I recently switched out of Nikon (mainly for what I was using the Nikon to shoot), I had a D810 and the Sony a7R and while I know the sensor is shared between the two, shooting each is different and the Sony kit is just more compact and easier to take on a quick trip, instead of taking the much larger Nikon kit. I will be getting the 5Dsr and will still keep, and possibly upgrade my Sony a7R.

pesto

So will any of you buy one?

Will you keep your "other" Canon DSLR as a backup?
I, for one, will not. I much prefer the "feel" and substance of the 1D bodies and, perhaps more importantly, there is no means of mounting a split image focusing screen in a 5D body. No doubt given the cameras increased resolution this will become even more of a necessity when working with manual focus (Zeiss) lenses.

vjbelle

I don't see any reason not to get one as it looks excellent having seen the test shots from the prototype cameras currently on the web. The only reason I can see not to buy one is if Sony do sonething amazing with the A7RII and by amazing I don't mean just adding 50Mpix to the current A7II body.
I'm waiting for the next Sony Iteration which should address all of the issues associated with the current release (vibration..... etc). It will also be 50+ pixels and will have greater dynamic range than the 5Ds. Time will tell....

Victor

gazwas

I, for one, will not. I much prefer the "feel" and substance of the 1D bodies and, perhaps more importantly, there is no means of mounting a split image focusing screen in a 5D body.
I'm with you on both of those points but I imagine many using a 50Mpix camera will be very much tripod bound and focused by live view so to me the body is less important and I can't remember the last time I used the viewfinder for critical focus from the moment I purchased a Canon 40D.

anGy

Thanks ceh for the link.
I played a little bit with the (underexposed) raw files to make a comparison,
here the jpeg 1600px height version of the Canon:

Uaiomex

I prefer a whole bunch the Leica color balance. The Canon's looks too red. Even the eyes look red.
I wonder if this has something to do with the problem appointed by Lloyd Chambers.
Impressive camera nonetheless
Eduardo

anGy

The Canon file is not easy to balance.
Tried Adobe profile, then Canon Portrait then Canon Neutral which gave a better result on this particular shot, in Lightroom. But couldn't find a well balanced setting (too red/blue or too green/yellow). Maybe DPP is the way to go until this color profile issue is solved.