The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B&H announces prices for Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera

B&H has just posted their ad for the new Canon 50.6 megapixel full frame CMOS camera here: Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera (Body Only) 0582C002 B&H Photo Video

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation
3.2" 1,040K-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
61-Point High Density Reticular AF
150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
Native ISO 6400; 5.0 fps Burst Shooting
User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag
Dual Compact Flash and SD Media Slots

From the ad:
"The EOS Scene Detection System with the 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor provides precise exposure and color metering and the 61-point High Density Reticular AF sensor with 41 cross-type points enables accurate AF placement and Canon's EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Resolution) enhances AF performance by using information from the metering sensor. Crop shooting at 1.3x and 1.6x allows for flexibility in the size of image files (30MP and 20MP, respectvely) and the selection of lenses. M-RAW and S-RAW settings are supported for shooting images at 28MP and 12.4MP and a built-in intervalometer and bulb timer expand your creative options."

$3,899.00 for the 5DS R model with low pass filter cancellation
$3,699 for the 5DS with no low pass filter cancellation

Expected availability in June of 2015. Still 4 months out...

Uaiomex

No DR improvement and only fixed screen. Total disappointment. At this pace, I think that my 6D is going to be my last Canon purchase. After this nauseous announcement Sony will become some sort of messiah.

malmac

No DR improvement and only fixed screen. Total disappointment. At this pace, I think that my 6D is going to be my last Canon purchase. After this nauseous announcement Sony will become some sort of messiah.
Such a lovely rich turn of phrase - well done.

Mal

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I seem to remember that Messiah was eventually crucified.

Uaiomex

Mal, I think I got carried away by the heat of the announcement. :)
The 5Ds-r might well end up to be a very fine camera. But I'm not buying it. I want more mp's but also want more DR and a tilt screen.
Most likely I will buy an A7rII/A9 and keep my 6D for action shots.

Ed

Such a lovely rich turn of phrase - well done.

Mal

iiiNelson

Mal, I think I got carried away by the heat of the announcement. :)
The 5Ds-r might well end up to be a very fine camera. But I'm not buying it. I want more mp's but also want more DR and a tilt screen.
Most likely I will buy an A7rII/A9 and keep my 6D for action shots.

Ed
I don't know I'd wait until it's released to make an informed opinion. DR isn't everything and to be honest The last three FF Canon bodies (1Dx, 5Dmk3, and 6D) were actually the first Canon's in years to make me consider buying back into the system.

I have no doubts that the 5Ds/R will be an amazing camera as well. It may not have the most DR but I believe it'll be very functional for a variety of users especially with the built in APS-H/APS-C crop modes. You can go from a landscape/fashion shoot one minute to a wildlife shooter with a few options. Of all the cameras I've tried Canon still has the best/most accurate AF system of the common brands if that's important to you. I mostly manually focus the lenses I have but I'm slowly buying some AF lenses for Sony bodies.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I have to agree.

I recently switched from Nikon to Canon as I mainly shoot sports and I find that the 1Dx surpasses the focus tracking of the D4s, especially when the subject is moving erratically.

I do however, miss the D810 as it is better than any current Canon equivalent. I am hoping that the naysayers are just spouting about the 5DSR

iiiNelson

I have to agree.

I recently switched from Nikon to Canon as I mainly shoot sports and I find that the 1Dx surpasses the focus tracking of the D4s, especially when the subject is moving erratically.

I do however, miss the D810 as it is better than any current Canon equivalent. I am hoping that the naysayers are just spouting about the 5DSR
I tend to agree that I want to see them get out of their self-induced PR slump. Part of it is sentimental reasons as a Canon Digital Rebel was the very first digital camera that I bought for myself, part of it is that I like to see competition constantly showing each other up as the consumers win, and the other part is I hate watching a "dying dog" constantly getting kicked.

Reputation and familiarity are keeping them a float above the technology it seems.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
When other systems seem to be bypassing you at record speed, and you still have no "answer" to their new products even 2 years after they are originally released, you can see why.

This was why I was a bit reluctant to switch, until I started hearing the rumors about the new Canon 5DS and 5DSR. That made it much easier for me as I knew they had to do something or they would lose a lot of their customer base to Nikon and Sony.

malmac

So who has splashed the cash?

I am sure this camera will turn into reality at the local camera store before we even see a replacement 645DF as a genuine beta model.

Mal

iiiNelson

I don't think they're shipping until late May or early June... I've been out the Canon game for about 7 years now but I would like to see them compete better technologically.

dr0th

I got to play around with the 5DS, 5DSR, and the new 11-24mm lens (and the new T6 series). I was very impressed with them, Canon has put a lot of effort into the inner workings of the camera to dampen vibrations. Unfortunately I am ditching my Canon system (probably "downgrading" to a D700) but if I was going to buy a D810, I would have to take a good look at these cameras.

malmac

I have a 1D Mk4 and a 5D Mk2 - I realise that the 5D Mk3 has improved the focus system to closer to the 1D series - given how much better in my opinion the 1D is to use as a camera, I wonder if we will see a 1D body with this new 50Mp sensor - that is the camera I would like to have in my hand.

Mal

bensonga

I would too Mal. I love the 1D series cameras (I just picked up a very low mileage 1D IV) and would like to see Canon come out with a high resolution version. Heck, I would be happy with 30-40mp.

Last edited:

malmac

I had a look at the iso performance of the new 5Dsr on dpreview.com and I was rather disappointed. I am not looking for best in class performance but I came away thinking it really is no better than our IQ180 CCD sensor at 400 iso - so I am not talking HIGH iso.

There is more homework to do but I won't be parting with any money on this camera at the moment. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but why buy what I don't NEED if it won't be what I really WANT.

Mal

iiiNelson

I had a look at the iso performance of the new 5Dsr on dpreview.com and I was rather disappointed. I am not looking for best in class performance but I came away thinking it really is no better than our IQ180 CCD sensor at 400 iso - so I am not talking HIGH iso.

There is more homework to do but I won't be parting with any money on this camera at the moment. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but why buy what I don't NEED if it won't be what I really WANT.

Mal
In fairness to Canon we are comparing it to a camera 10x the cost... That's sort of like comparing a mid grade P&S to a D810/Sony FE/5D3.