The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7D Mark II GPS

bipbip

We were using 7D Mark I's last year with the external Canon GPS unit on the hotshoe. Hit rate 100%. Bought the Mark II's- wonderful upgrade but alas the onboard GPS is not at all reliable. In both instances set to search every second, new ones return about 70-80% images tagged. Have had to revert to the old cameras.
Anyone out there finding the same thing? I'm worried it's hardware and they've put in too weak a unit but fingers crossed there may be a software upgrade ...

Rory

I have not experienced this with my 7DII. I have my GPS set to update every 15 seconds and I have been shooting in an outdoor environment for the last 5 months. I just checked my metadata and the GPS has been recorded for every actuation. Perhaps you have a faulty unit.