The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EF 1200 5.6 Info+FS

waynelake

Yeah...:talk028: for that much money we could go in partnership, buy a place on main road Westcoast (maybe), and have a gallery selling photos to passer-by tourists. Guy would have his New Zealand Workshop Headquarters...:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure anyone noticed but Canon did NOT reveal a 5D replacement just a new Rebel 450 for PMA. Looking around for press releases from canon.

Headquarters in NZ you can just sign me up.

LJL

Guy,
Not looking like a 5DMkII this round.... However, I noticed that Canon did release the MAP on the EF 200mm f2L IS....$5,999., and the EF 800mm f5.6L IS is a cool $12K or so! Too bad the 200/2 is so pricey. Had that come in around $4K or so, I think Canon folks would be all over it. Just my thoughts.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes 6 k for a 200 f2 is way out of touch. They will not have many sales at that number . I agree 4k is even pushing it. 3800 might be the magic number give or take a few hundred.

I would buy the leica 180 f2 first

LJL

Yes, Nikon has their 200/2 with VR at $4K, and the Canon 300/2.8L IS is around $3,800 or so. The $6K price is a bust. Hope some folks start to discount it, like B&H and others.

Hey, if Leica can get a killer R10 to market soon, that 180/2 might be more attractive ;-)

LJ

woodyspedden

Yes 6 k for a 200 f2 is way out of touch. They will not have many sales at that number . I agree 4k is even pushing it. 3800 might be the magic number give or take a few hundred.

I would buy the leica 180 f2 first
couldn't agree more Guy. The Leica 180 f2.0 is so wonderful and available for $4K or less (used) that it is unconcionable that Canon believe they can charge that much. I have no experience with it but from the day it came out the reviews of the Nikon 200 2.0 have been universally outstanding so again it is hard to imagine where Canon is coming from. And if you are will to go down 1 stop to 2.8 the Leica 180 Elmarit is again an outstanding APO/ASPH lens which routinely sells used for around $2500!

Woody Spedden

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
IMO, they are thinking Olympics this year, and the formula is supposedly :bugeyes: top rate. Add in 4 stop IS (questionable, but... ...) and CBS, NBC, ABC, NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune as the intended market; and what's wrong w/ $6k?

After the Olympics, if it's still $6k then :wtf:

Food for thought.

LJL

Chris,
If one does the "discount math", the Canon 200/2L may come down to $4,500 or so. That might be more palatable. The utility of this sort of fast lens is actually pretty high. Not just indoor sports, where it should shine, but also concerts, plays, weddings, and other indoor performances in lower light venues. Then there is portrait shooting, which was one of the biggest draws for the old 200/1.8L lens. There really is a fairly large segment of shooting possibility, so sales volumes might be higher than one might initially think.

You are probably correct in assuming that Canon may want to extract some premium initially, and the "buyers" you suggest may not flinch too much, but the rest of the shooters may sit on the sidelines for some time until the price comes down some. I know I will, and I actually could use the extra speed and shallow DOF for some of my work, but not for $6K ;-) Now, if Leica comes out with a killer R10 camera that can hold its own for some of the things that the newer Nikon and Canon cameras are doing routinely, then $5-6K for a Leica 180/2 or something along those lines would not seem unreasonable, given the generally better optics. Canon is not shabby on their telephoto optics at all, but the price they are asking just seems high.

By comparison, when the 600/4L was introduced, they had a suggested retail of $12K on that one (where the new 800/5.6L is coming out), and it now has a street price of $4-5K less than that.....so there is some history and working room.

LJ

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
LJ,

If this was 2-3+ years ago, I'd agree with you completely; but I'm afraid I'm just going to have to disagree until proven otherwise (uhm, like April when they are available! :)

:lecture:The 600 has been around for a number of years and in the past (previous to 3 years ago); Canon's MSRP and actual dealer pricing was significant. However, in the last few years, it's shrunk down to pretty much nothing. Take a look at both the 1D3 and the 1Ds3. The 1Ds3 is currently being sold by dealers (I use B&H when referring to dealers) HIGHER than Canon's MSRP (okay, it might only be $.95 higher but technically I'm right! :ROTFL:) The 1D3 has been out for about 9 months or so, and that's only come down a couple hundred dollars.

Additionally, the 200/1.8 sells for $3.5 - 4.5k pretty routinely, with some sales cresting $5k. This is without IS. I would wage that Canon is aware of this and was used to influence their MSRP price. Additionally, they 'claim' 4 stops improvement w/ IS. That's some pretty nifty tech going in there. I don't see that as cheap either!

Don't get me wrong. I hope you're right. I'd love to get a 200/2 IS and I'm certainly not going to pay $6k. But looking at recent trends (from the past few years), I just don't see that happening.

Last edited:

waynelake

I know this thread has gone way off topic...maybe I should change the title...but thought I'd have my 2c worth say.

:lecture: Mid 2004 somewhere I read "...get the greater glass, lesser camera..." So mid '04 I got a 200 1.8 and other stuff. Actually sold the 200 now, but what I liked was general use and when the light got darker and darker could continue taking photos.
So I've had my 400D for just over a year. From what I'm used to its far less than what I want, but does everything (nearly). Then they bring out a 40D for same/similar price as my 400D:cry: 40D much better, although I haven't got one. I would have thought why bother with a 450D:banghead: And now they got a 18-55IS?! Seriously though, (400D), at least I got my comet photos....

LJL

LJ,

If this was 2-3+ years ago, I'd agree with you completely; but I'm afraid I'm just going to have to disagree until proven otherwise (uhm, like April when they are available! :)

:lecture:The 600 has been around for a number of years and in the past (previous to 3 years ago); Canon's MSRP and actual dealer pricing was significant. However, in the last few years, it's shrunk down to pretty much nothing. Take a look at both the 1D3 and the 1Ds3. The 1Ds3 is currently being sold by dealers (I use B&H when referring to dealers) HIGHER than Canon's MSRP (okay, it might only be $.95 higher but technically I'm right! :ROTFL:) The 1D3 has been out for about 9 months or so, and that's only come down a couple hundred dollars.

Additionally, the 200/1.8 sells for $3.5 - 4.5k pretty routinely, with some sales cresting $5k. This is without IS. I would wage that Canon is aware of this and was used to influence their MSRP price. Additionally, they 'claim' 4 stops improvement w/ IS. That's some pretty nifty tech going in there. I don't see that as cheap either!

Don't get me wrong. I hope you're right. I'd love to get a 200/2 IS and I'm certainly not going to pay $6k. But looking at recent trends (from the past few years), I just don't see that happening.
Chris,
I appreciate that perspective. I was not thinking as much about how Canon may have been adjusting their MSRP/MAP to "street" pricing on the lenses. They certainly have done that with the bodies, so why not the lenses also?

I did speak with a Canon rep at an event the other night. I mentioned that the 200/2 price "seemed" a bit high. He told me that nearly every person that he had talked to about the 200/2 had the same perception. He said that he would be passing that info back to Canon. I really am not expecting Canon to move too much, but if that lens started selling at $4,000-4,300 or so, I would think they could not keep them in stock with the number of folks that would be snapping them up.....myself included :D

LJ

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I wouldn't mind getting one myself; but the price makes getting the 200/1.8 seem a whole lot more attractive (imo); and well, I've already got one of those :)