Site Sponsors

Thread: Opinions on changing my 300 2.8IS for a long zoom

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on changing my 300 2.8IS for a long zoom

I have a 300 2.8IS which is a fantastic lens. Unfortunately I haven't used it in years. I'm thinking to sell it and replace it with a zoom like a 200-400 instead. I find I'm shooting more travel work these days and less fashion/lifestyle where the 300 2.8 was perfect. But for travel work the size and weight is too much to lug around. I have no experience in any long zooms and would love some feedback. I do have the latest 70-200 2.8 which I use all the time and love it.

I have since realized that Canon doesn't make a 200-400 that I can find, so any other advice would be welcome. Maybe a 100-300? Something smaller than the 300 2.8 but without giving up any image quality.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ShooterSteve; 28th June 2016 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on changing my 300 2.8IS for a long zoom

Consider the Nikon 300/4 PF lens . The size .weight and ability to hand hold at slower shutter speeds are the primary advantages . It does not have the image contrast of the 300/2.8 which is near the top of the class in telephotos IQ ...but it is plenty sharp and with a little kick in post processing contrast ...it produces great files .

If you are using a D4/D5 body ..you should be completely happy . With a D800/D810 you will have to punch up the files some . The D4/D5/Df sensors seem to have higher contrast before processing .

The Nikkor 200-400/4 .....never liked this lens . It does not match the primes . The issue is that it is optimized for middle distances . So if you want a large image it can be great but of you are shooting at infinity ...not so good .

This is of course subjective insights ..but I do shoot frequently with the Nikkor 400/2.8 AF VR which I consider the standard for telephoto lenses . The 300/2.8 is about the same ..so you have a tough standard to meet .

I found I couldn t get the longer telephotos into Tennis ..so I had to go to something I could shoot hand held .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on changing my 300 2.8IS for a long zoom

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Consider the Nikon 300/4 PF lens . The size .weight and ability to hand hold at slower shutter speeds are the primary advantages . It does not have the image contrast of the 300/2.8 which is near the top of the class in telephotos IQ ...but it is plenty sharp and with a little kick in post processing contrast ...it produces great files .

If you are using a D4/D5 body ..you should be completely happy . With a D800/D810 you will have to punch up the files some . The D4/D5/Df sensors seem to have higher contrast before processing .

The Nikkor 200-400/4 .....never liked this lens . It does not match the primes . The issue is that it is optimized for middle distances . So if you want a large image it can be great but of you are shooting at infinity ...not so good .

This is of course subjective insights ..but I do shoot frequently with the Nikkor 400/2.8 AF VR which I consider the standard for telephoto lenses . The 300/2.8 is about the same ..so you have a tough standard to meet .

I found I couldn t get the longer telephotos into Tennis ..so I had to go to something I could shoot hand held .
    Thanks but I sold my last Nikon body and without a good Sony AF adapter, leaves any Nikon lens out as an option.