The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any real news on Canon 1-series updates?

LJL

O.K., some folks love 'em, some not so much. Besides the point for those that are invested with good glass and other stuff.

We saw Photokina come and go, as did PMA. There was the 5DMkII update, long overdue, plus a nice smattering of very interesting new lenses that may hold promise for those wanting to continue shooting Canon.

What I am wondering is if anyone has fairly reliable information on what, if anything, Canon may be doing with the 1-series line and when? There has been lots of speculation about a new medium format entrant, yada, yada.... There was a longstanding veiled promise from Canon that they would at some point merge the 1D and 1Ds into a single camera with variable use options, much like Nikon sort of did with the D3. Nothing has come of this in several years.

Being a guy that does shoot both 1D and 1Ds models for various needs, I can live with two different bodies that have different resolutions and speeds for performance. However, I am keenly interested in what may be planned going forward, especially for the 1Ds side of things. While the 1DsMkIII is holding its own right now, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and could use some refresh. Not looking for lots more pixels, but better quality of images coming from the sensors. That means maybe a lighter or NO AA filter?? Maybe that means getting things better tuned for true 16 bit capture with higher DR.

So, anybody have a good, reliable source or contact that has any idea of where things may be going? Please share if you can. This is one of those times when Canon needs to step in and put some cards on the table, as both Nikon and Sony are offering some very nice options, and then there is the MF siren and the S2 looking better all the time.

LJ

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not that I know anything - but I was expecting a new release of the 1Ds already for PMA. Obviously wrong :)

I would like to see same MP, higher DR, not sure if 16bit really necessary, but definitely NO more AA Filter.

And some of the older lenses being updated with latest technology - ASPH, latest coating etc....

LJL

I hear you, Peter. I too was "expecting" a new 1Ds model at PMA.....sadly disappointed at this stage. That is why I am wondering what delay and why. Sure, the economy is not great, so launching higher end gear into it is a bit more of risk, but it is also just part of the entire business. My personal thoughts are that true 16-bit may or may not be that noticeable, but it does impact DR to some extent, by providing higher fidelity across more of the color spectrum. I could live with 14-bit if it really was true. (I see little reason why these higher end DSLRs cannot get closer to MF quality, even if the sensor is smaller.) While lots of folks clamor for higher and higher ISO, I would be quite happy with really clean ISO 1600 and very usable when pushed to 3200 or more. The present 1DsMkIII does a great job there, but could be a little bit better.

The glass is an important, but somewhat separate issue. Yes, one needs really nice glass, especially if the sensor can resolve everything to very high levels, including lp/mm, color, contrast, flare, etc. I am actually fairly excited by the new T/S lenses, especially the 17mm version, and could see it filling in nicely where even MF is struggling a bit right now.....if it is as good as rumors state. There is a need for some refresh across a lot of the Canon lens line, but honestly, a lot of what they recently improved, coupled with cherries from the rest of the line, would hold me for a while.

Folks suggest the 5DMkII, and that is great, but I would rather have a pro body that I can count on everywhere I shoot, and not just a slower, fair weather or studio camera. Not knocking the 5DMkII, but I like shooting the 1-series bodies....weight, bulkiness and all. They are incredibly solidly built and always deliver for me. Just my preference.

LJ

bensonga

A little off topic here, but having just bought and received Marc Williams' EOS 1V (sweet!) and getting a "taste" for the 1 series bodies....I've found myself thinking about a 1Ds (this is bad, very bad, I know).

I wouldn't go with the 5DMkII...just too many problems from what I hear.

So my question is....are there any significant problems with the current 1Ds MkIII which I should know about?

Gary
Alaska

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I hear you, Peter. I too was "expecting" a new 1Ds model at PMA.....sadly disappointed at this stage. That is why I am wondering what delay and why. Sure, the economy is not great, so launching higher end gear into it is a bit more of risk, but it is also just part of the entire business. My personal thoughts are that true 16-bit may or may not be that noticeable, but it does impact DR to some extent, by providing higher fidelity across more of the color spectrum. I could live with 14-bit if it really was true. (I see little reason why these higher end DSLRs cannot get closer to MF quality, even if the sensor is smaller.) While lots of folks clamor for higher and higher ISO, I would be quite happy with really clean ISO 1600 and very usable when pushed to 3200 or more. The present 1DsMkIII does a great job there, but could be a little bit better.

The glass is an important, but somewhat separate issue. Yes, one needs really nice glass, especially if the sensor can resolve everything to very high levels, including lp/mm, color, contrast, flare, etc. I am actually fairly excited by the new T/S lenses, especially the 17mm version, and could see it filling in nicely where even MF is struggling a bit right now.....if it is as good as rumors state. There is a need for some refresh across a lot of the Canon lens line, but honestly, a lot of what they recently improved, coupled with cherries from the rest of the line, would hold me for a while.

Folks suggest the 5DMkII, and that is great, but I would rather have a pro body that I can count on everywhere I shoot, and not just a slower, fair weather or studio camera. Not knocking the 5DMkII, but I like shooting the 1-series bodies....weight, bulkiness and all. They are incredibly solidly built and always deliver for me. Just my preference.

LJ
As I actually come from using Nikon over the last years I thought I give it a try and start using the 5D2 and some lenses (16-35, 24-70, 1.2/85 so far) in order to see if I really like it. And guess what? I do like it very much, much better than Nikon. I am not counting lines etc, just the overall handling, speed, IQ etc.

Now this personal test is the reason I went for the 5D2. I know the 1Ds series and I would prefer this type of camera, as I also shoot with a Nikon D3 (same concept and size), but I am struggling to step in now into this "already old" design. The "new" 1Ds should have Digic4 processors, hopefully no more AA filter (or very thin) and some further improvements for even better IQ - the 5D2 already shows what is possible. If this camaera is released I am sure I jump on it (currently trying to sell my Nikon D3).