The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Factory Refurbished bodies?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Has any one ever had experience with a refurbished Canon 1D line body?

B&H has a 1DsMkIII in this state. Also where are places to look for 1DsMkIII's besides B&S here and at FM. B&H and KEH are my main goto's for used gear.

I'm trying to get a feel for the market and really don't want to deal with the Bay on something like this.

trisberg

I bought a Rebel XSi refurbished from Adorama and it's hard to tell it's not brand new. The only difference was the plainer Canon box it came in and the small refurbished sticker on the bottom. This one came with a 90 day Adorama warranty.

-Thomas

robmac

I've owned a 1DS2 re-furb - had no issues. Sold it in a moment of stupidity and repalced it shortly thereafter.

If a Canon refurb, it's been taken back for some reason and brought back to factory spec. If anything it's safer in that it's teething issues have already been found and fixed as it were. IIRC should ship in a white box.

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

Try Samy's Camera in LA. I bought a 300mm f2.8IS, 400mm f2.8IS and a 1D refurbished from them a few years back. I still have the 1D. Best focusing camera I ever had. It was even better than my 1D Mk II.

As Rob said, the 1D came in a white box. The lenses came in the standard boxes, still with the factory staples in them, so I suspect either they weren't refurbs, or Canon just tries clearing some stock this way. In the case of the 400mm, refurbs were rare as hens teeth and I happened to get lucky when I called. There was a huge difference in price too. I can't remember the 400mm price, but the 300mm was about $2,750. Both the lenses and the body worked flawlessly.

Robert