The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Travel Kit

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am getting ready for another trip, but maybe this time I might tote Canon.
Any thoughts on the following for a travel kit?
5DII
16-35 2.8L
24-105 4.0L IS
70-300 4.5-5.6 DO IS
24 3.5L TS

thanks
-bob

httivals

It's too much. I travel with the Canon 5D and, soon, 5Dii. I've found that the best travel kit for me is the 5D(ii) and 24-105mm IS lens, and only one more lens, or if I really can't decide, one more zoom and one relatively small prime. I would not travel with the 24mm TS, though I have in the past. You can do most of what you can do with that lens with panoramic stitching. I would probably take the 24-105mm and 16-35mm, and leave the rest at home.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed it's too much, but then I've seen Bob's "small" travel bag and trust me, he has the room :ROTFL:

For me, the 24-105 and 35 or 50 f1.4 and either to 70-300 DO or the 70-200/4 left in the room until I know I want them -- and the 70-200 is a better optic all around. I might add a 20, 18ZF or 14 prime for interiors, but won't carry the 16-35 anymore as it's too heavy for the limited use I give it.

Another option I'm considering on the wide end is the full frame Sigma 12-24 -- I understand it may be soft-ish at the corners wide open on full frame, but supposedly crisps up there decently after f8. And more importantly it is very rectilinear with almost no distortion. Plus, in addition to covering a wider range, it's smaller than the Canon 16-35 and 1/3rd the price.

My .02,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would still have room for the Cambo and a light leica kit. :)

Dale Allyn

Bob, you don't mention where you're headed and that would likely influence my kit.

E.G. the T-S lens stands out a bit for a travel kit, unless you're headed to Yosemite or planning some arch. stuff in France, etc.

I carry a minimum of 24-70, 50mm f/1.4, and 135mm f/2.0. I often add a 300mm f/4.0 'cuz I like it. My 16-35 goes many times, but not always. I used to travel with two bodies and seven lenses, but now try to carry just one body and four lenses. In fact, for walking the "wet markets" in Asia and the like I'd add a second body and carry the 16-35 and the 24-70 (don't have the 24-105), with the 135 in reserve.

While I love the 85mm f/1.2, I no longer carry it for travel unless I plan to do more portraits. The suggestions by the others to have at least one fast lens is a point I might suggest as well. Because of it's size, I always toss the 50mm f/1.4 in as at least one fast-ish lens. Kinda nice for walking around at night. The 35mm f/1.4 is nicer, but much larger.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A week in Paris, then three days in St. Petersberg and then a week in Moscow and environs.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Sounds like a nice trip. I'd want at least one fast lens for evening stuff. I get away with f/2.8 a lot, but f/4 can be iffy for what I like, so the faster lens gets me lower light stuff and a bit of shallow DoF if I want. That said, I do often carry it (50 f/1.4) and not use it because the 24-70 is f/2.8. Your IS helps, of course, but doesn't help DoF control – though at times the IS would be more useful. Always a trade-off.

Your kit looks well planned for the trip.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I agree w/ Dale. It all depends on the location. For where you are going, I think it's a great kit. I don't have the 70-300, so I'd go w/ a 70-200/4IS, but it's more or less the same. I do bring a 1.4x teleconverter to compensate.

That stated, I'm probably not the best person to ask about bringing a small and light kit.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Bob

I spend 2 weeks in Paris each June at a friends apartment. Based on shooting 3000 images last June:

(1) Fast wide angles are most important. In the canon line its the 35 1.4 which would be a great all around lens for Paris.

(2)The 24-105/4 is a fine all around lens but f4 isn t fast enough to catch the light and its difficult to control(limit) the depth of field.

(3) when I had a 5D I used the older 19/2.8 R lens and an adapter. The ZF 18 maybe?

One thing we really enjoy are the Hop on Hop off ferry that cruises the river. Endless opportunities. Have a great trip.

Roger

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Bob

I experimented with several different set ups for street type shooting in paris,NYC,south beach etc. I find for normal city shooting that 2 M8s is the best alternative..primarily because I draw a lot less attention shooting.

The big advantages of the DSLR are the longer than 90mm(120FOV) and the higher ISO performance. I could have used a 180 in paris but not much longer. Shooting around and from the river would benefit from additional reach and night shooting from a fast prime.
And of course you can benefit from extra MP .

I didn t find any situation in Paris where I really wanted or needed AF.

I am very interested in seeing what you shoot in St Petersburg ....almost went back a few years.

Roger

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bob - take the M + the Canon

M8 or M8.2 with 3 lenses:
50/1.4 preAsph
28 Cron
and pick one: 12 CV, 15 CV, 18mm, or one of the 21mm's - but only one from this group

5Dii
24-105
70-200 (Whichever version you like best - f/2.8, f/4, IS, Non IS)
Then something faster: 35/1.4, 50/1.4, or 80/1.8

Skip the 16-35, you can fit the M8 with lens in the same amount of space and that can be your wide (and normal) rig.

Lately, I find it is better for me to NOT try to cover all bases but shoot with the gear I like to shoot and make due with less. For example, I might even skip the 24-105 and just pack the 35 or 50 + 70-200 +135L (because I enjoy shooting with the 135), but practically the 24-105 makes sense.

Do you have the Canon already?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up the 5DII about 10 days ago before going to Texas since I had to shoot Dogs and Nurses (Nurses in a hospital, available light only). I got the 24-105 along with it.
I will take the M8.2, 28 chron, and 50 1.4 preAsph and a 21.
Since the Moscow leg of the trip will mean shooting my 2.5 year old granddaughter, so the Canon will be useful. Maybe that one, a longer and a faster ough to be enough to round out the kit.
-bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I am getting ready for another trip, but maybe this time I might tote Canon.
Any thoughts on the following for a travel kit?
5DII
16-35 2.8L
24-105 4.0L IS
70-300 4.5-5.6 DO IS
24 3.5L TS

thanks
-bob
All of this except the TS (I do not need this) and I use the 24-70 as midrange zoom - my version is a good one, as I understood there are good and bad samples :D

Especially I would like the 70-300 DO, nice small lens with stunning IQ for that size and price. Currently do not own any tele zoom for my 5D2, but this might be the first I get in order to have a good allround tz with low weight for travel.