The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 24-105

P

Paul David 99

Hi Don,

I converted a Canon 5D MkII to IR, and the 24-105 works fine. I do have to adjust the microfocus adjustment at 105mm if I want the autofocus to be accurate.

Paul

Don Libby

I been using the 24-105 on my 1DsII IR now for several months and it has not let me down. The only problem is with the ever so slight vignetting at 24. I've been so pleased with this lens that it has stayed on the camera the entire time. I've sold to pieces that I did at a mission here in Tucson so the cost of conversion/lens has already been paid.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Don

Analog6

I love mine. I have a 1DMkIIN and a 1DsMkII, I generally keep the 24-105 on the N and the 16-35 on the s. My other lens is the 100-400 which goes on whatever one I feel like!

The 24-105 is just superb, I reckon. I let a couple of fellow Canon users have a go with mine and they have both gone out and bought one. As a general walkabout lens it is perfect. I went to New Zealand for 2 weeks holiday and it was never off the camera.

One of my favourite shots with it from the Swell Sculpture festival last September

ustein

Contributing Editor
My take on this lens is that it's wicked fast focusing, fairly compact package, and the pics are sharp...yet this lens leaves me wanting more. Although it could well be my own shortcomings in using camera and lens, I think there's something lifeless about the images. It's hard to beat for a "reasonably" priced mid range all purpose zoom, though.
Don't expect sharp corners. I use this lens a lot but always have mixed feelings. Also quite strong distortions at some focal lengths, can be fixed. The range is hard to beat. I would like it to be in the same league as the Olympus 12-60mm.

T

tokengirl

I agree with many of the comments here, it's a wonderful Swiss Army Knife. It's quick to focus, very sharp in the middle of it's range, not heavy and just a wonderful walk-around lens. Not bad for the occasional portrait, either.

It's only shortcoming is at its widest focal length. At 24mm, the barrel distortion is pretty bad.

robertwright

I just picked one up and I can't say I am seeing the kind of sharpness and contrast of that 'doggone good pic'. what aperture/focal length combo was that?
Bought a refurb.

T

tokengirl

It was at 67mm, f9, 1/50 sec. You will find that this lens performs best from 40mm to 80mm between f8 and f11.

Oh, and not to brag on the 5DmkII, but it was shot at ISO 3200. :)

robertwright

yowza.
I guess it is emblematic of the whole dslr approach, shooting at moderate aperture, hiking the ISO and using IS, because you can.

My conventional thinking is get a lens that performs wide open and stop down only when necessary for dof.

I'm shooting some tests now and will have some objective data.

T

tokengirl

I'm not sure it has much to do with the "DSLR approach", I think it has more to do with making a choice between a good prime that will perform wide open and the convenience of a zoom lens?

robertwright

you're right.

I did test it out some more and it gets quite good as you say between 35 and 70 at moderate aperture. It will serve as my all-round lens.

Can't help feeling like I should have simply bought a 35, 50 and 85 for the same price.

I have to force myself to remember how I used to long for a good zoom on my hasselblad to replace the backbreaking trio 65-80-120 I used to haul around on travel jobs. (+rangefinder mamiya7..!)

John Black

I have been using the 24-105L since it was released. It's proven to be a great lens on the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3. As Mark said earlier, it's weaker side is the 70-105mm range, but it's still good for walk-around purposes. At 35mm I think it resolving power is excellent, and its 24mm performance is better in the corners than the 24-70L. I recently update the Canon 24-105L review (here) and the 24-105L gallery is pretty up-to-date as well (here).

I like using the 24-105L in conjunction with the Leica M9 and 50mm Summilux ASPH (and other M primes). Basically, the Canon kit uses zooms, and the M kit provides the primes.

The 24-105L's IS is also excellent. I can shoot 105mm at 1/30th and have very sharp images. When the light starts to fall, the IS really helps, or when using a CPL and losing 1 to 1.33 stops of light and still trying to stop down to F8 or F11.