The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

canon TS-E 17

wayne_s

I am not too surprised to see the 24 do better than the 17+1.4TC, but I AM surprised to see how well the 17+1.4TC actually did.
-bob
Bob,

That is exactly what I thought too.
Since I think I will be shooting more at 17 than at 24, I think I will be ok with just the 17 and can use the 17 + 1.4x TC for those few times when in a pinch for a 24 TS and not have to shell out another $2300 for the new 24.
Having both would be great but there are other things on the buy list ahead of that.

wayne_s

Mark,

I only took fully shifted up shots with 17 TS-E by itself, then 17 + 1.4xTC and then TS-E 24 by itself. The two crops I just showed above were actually near the bottom. Here are the three full original shots. Because the amount of max shift is different, that is why the two 24mm comparison shots are not covering the same exact part of the church.

wayne_s

Ooops, looks like I have just reached some upload quota and I can't upload any more of these crop comparisons.
Jack, can you tell me what I should do?

Anyway, Mark I am glad you asked about the shifted performance as I then thought about looking at the corners more to see how they compared and am now seeing what I had noticed in the MTF's awhile back between the two and it is the fact the 24 is sharper in the center than the 17 but then falls off more towards the corners than the 17 which is more even across the frame. I hope to show this more with the rest of the crops I have ready to upload to this thread.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne and Mark,

Great report and tests, thanks!

Sorry I missed meeting you guys that day, but I had a pet emergency and was at the emergency clinic most of the day. It didn't end well either :( Anyway, please keep me posted for next time.

mark1958

Jack sorry to hear about the pet emergency.. was this your dog? i was just at the dog er.. but not too serious

Wayne and Mark,

Great report and tests, thanks!

Sorry I missed meeting you guys that day, but I had a pet emergency and was at the emergency clinic most of the day. It didn't end well either :( Anyway, please keep me posted for next time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack sorry to hear about the pet emergency.. was this your dog? i was just at the dog er.. but not too serious
Hi Mark:

Unfortunately, it was our lovable yellow lab. She was only 7 and perfectly healthy three weeks ago, but for some unknown reason her kidneys started failing rapidly. We had to rush her in that Sunday for fluids, then she died a few days later on Thursday...

wayne_s

Hi Mark:

Unfortunately, it was our lovable yellow lab. She was only 7 and perfectly healthy three weeks ago, but for some unknown reason her kidneys started failing rapidly. We had to rush her in that Sunday for fluids, then she died a few days later on Thursday...
Wow, Jack, sorry to hear the bad news. I have a black lab that is 9 and I am always worried about something like this. My sister's goldern retriever just passed away from cancer.

wayne_s

Thanks Mark again for letting me use your new 24 TSEmk2.
I was able to get some time the Thursday after labor day to get into the church and take a bunch of shots with the 17 and hope to finish my 3 shift point/multi exposure image in photoshop and photomatrix. The dynamic range was very large as there were only one set of lights on and the rest of the church was lit by the afternoon sun through the stain-glass windows. Just a gorgeous church inside. I already printed out one of the stitched images large on my Z3100 printer and the detail is just incredible for 35mm.

mark1958

Jack.. sorry to hear about your dog.. that is really hard. i know that our dog is part of the family...

Wayne can you post some of those church shots?

wayne_s

Mark,

Here is a quick rendition of one the interirior shots but it is only combining 3 shots (one shot no shift, one shot max shift up, one shot max shift down) all at 15 second exposure at f11. This image I used shadow highlights to lighten the dark sections and to darken the burnt out sections some. I have bracketed exposures up to 1/15s which I am in the process of blending in so that the far winidows are not blown out and the domed section in the middle with skylight is not blown out either. I just haven't got much time lately to work on finishing this. It looked great printed out max size on my 24inch Z3100.

wayne_s

So how does the 17 compare to the new 24???
Well, I thought I said it above while showing the crops but let me summarize what I thought from doing comparison shots of the 17 TS-E + 1.4xTC vs. the new 24 TS-E mk2. The 24 was sharper in the center than the 17 + 1.4 as expected but the 24 was less sharp in the corners when max shifted in the vertical direction while in landscape position. This seems to match the MTF's on Canon website which show the 24 sharper in the middle but then dropping some in the corners while the 17 remains more flat over the frame into the corners.
What do you guy's think after seeing the comparison crops above?
Also, any C&C on the above interrior shot is always welcome.
Mark, maybe you can reverify my findings when you get your 17 back from Canon?

Thanks,

Wayne

mark1958

Wayne i did get it back yesterday. I need to get some time and can do some comparisons too. I am going to Nova Scotia for a few days next week. I am debating which lenses to take. To be honest it is a work meeting and will have little time to do shooting
Well, I thought I said it above while showing the crops but let me summarize what I thought from doing comparison shots of the 17 TS-E + 1.4xTC vs. the new 24 TS-E mk2. The 24 was sharper in the center than the 17 + 1.4 as expected but the 24 was less sharp in the corners when max shifted in the vertical direction while in landscape position. This seems to match the MTF's on Canon website which show the 24 sharper in the middle but then dropping some in the corners while the 17 remains more flat over the frame into the corners.
What do you guy's think after seeing the comparison crops above?
Also, any C&C on the above interrior shot is always welcome.
Mark, maybe you can reverify my findings when you get your 17 back from Canon?

Thanks,

Wayne

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, I thought I said it above while showing the crops but let me summarize what I thought from doing comparison shots of the 17 TS-E + 1.4xTC vs. the new 24 TS-E mk2.
Wayne,

Sorry, I should have clarified that that frankly I did not see much difference in the crops you posted, so was looking for some added personal impressions -- thank you for supplying those :).

Also, I'd love to see a similar shot with the 17 plus 2x converter. that could be a VERY versatile trio for architecture...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Very good to see these; the 24 TS-E Mk I is why I moved from Canon FF in the first place; the Distagon 21/2.8 wide open thrashed the 24 TS-E stopped down to ƒ8, believe it or not.

To me, looking at the crops, the 17 + 1.4 seems a touch sharper to me. I had no idea extenders could be used on wides.

I now shoot FF Nikon and use the 14–24/2.8 exclusively for my architectural work. Yes, I need a bit of PP if I cannot place the camera perfectly, but I would prefer a Nikon T/S that has the flexibility of the new Canons (particularly the capacity to move the tilt axis vs. the shift one). Overall, the new TS_E lenses are not enough to get me to switch back—yet—but are a giant step forward. Thanks for the tests, kl

wayne_s

Wayne,

Sorry, I should have clarified that that frankly I did not see much difference in the crops you posted, so was looking for some added personal impressions -- thank you for supplying those :).

Also, I'd love to see a similar shot with the 17 plus 2x converter. that could be a VERY versatile trio for architecture...
My only impressions from shooting the new 24 was that it is less likely to pick up flare do to its smaller angle of view which also allows it to have a hood which further helps.
Both lenses have the new ability to easily adjust the axis of tilt and shift independently. Just push against a small pin/lever and rotate the lens. They also have lock knobs on tilt and shift which help the lens from drooping down if the tilt is in the vertical direction or the lens from shifting accidentally if the shift is in the vertical direction, due to gravity.
I have a 2xTC and I will post some pix when I get some time. I think the 2x will reduce the sharpness/contrast too much but we will see. Could always use the 17 on a crop camera like the new 7D to get a less wide focal length T/S solution.