The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Verdict - 5DII ?

fotografz

I gotta pipe in here and share a quick story. I am a former Canon shooter having used all L lenses like the 50/1.2, 85/1.2MKIIL etc.

My second shooter for wedding photography shoots Canon, is on a demanding budget, so I recently recommended she buy Jack Flesher's lowly old Canon 20-35/2.8L ... OMG! I cannot believe the quality of 5D files from this lens that cost her like $450.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Marc

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'll put in my 2 Cents on the 50/1.4. I was one of first three lenses I got with my 20D.

It was and remains to date the worst Canon Lens I've ever owned. Noisy, slow autofocus, veiling flare until stopped down to 2.8 and overall poor build quality. But I get fast lenses to shoot wide open.

I would say get the 50/1.8 and starts saving for the 50/1.2.

How ever of those first three lenses the 85/1.8 was a dream. Everything the 50/1.4 wasn't. It's the best non-L lens I've owned.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My 50mm two-cents:

I have had two very good copies of the 50/1.4, and two so-so copies, so can confirm there is some variability. By comparison it isn't quite as good as the 85/1.8 or 100/2, but pretty close. The 50/1.2 is in a different league, a notch above the little brother being sharper, better control for flare and smooth bokeh, but it is physically larger and significantly more expensive.

My current compromise lens is the newest Sigma 50/1.4 in Canon EOS mount. This lens is very sharp wide open and has phenomenal bokeh. It is bigger and size-wise sits between the two Canon lenses. It is more expensive than the Canon version by about $100, but IMO it is worth every penny of that.

I wish Sigma made a fast 85 or 100 and a fast 28 or 35 on the same design...

nostatic

I'll put in my 2 Cents on the 50/1.4. I was one of first three lenses I got with my 20D.

It was and remains to date the worst Canon Lens I've ever owned. Noisy, slow autofocus, veiling flare until stopped down to 2.8 and overall poor build quality. But I get fast lenses to shoot wide open. .
Interesting. That explains some of the shots I've gotten. I'm not using a hood (doesn't come with the 50/1.4) and I couldn't believe some of the washed-out veiling flare even under not very demanding conditions.

I read varying reports on the 1.2 as well, but reading between the lines a lot of that seems to be expectations.

Marc Wilson

Canon 50/1.4...horrible.
Terrible vignetting up to F4..so what's the point of f1.4 and also really bad distortion...took it back the next day!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's a Canon 50/1.4 shot wide open off my 1Ds3, handheld in low light. I cropped to 4:3, but other than that it is virtually full frame:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Forget all of them...

The macro 50 2.5 macro is one of the most underrated Canon lens extant.

Sharp sharp sharp...

No pride of ownership but great optics.

Bokeh smokeh...its all in the capture...and this lens will deliver.:ROTFL:

Bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Interesting. That explains some of the shots I've gotten. I'm not using a hood (doesn't come with the 50/1.4) and I couldn't believe some of the washed-out veiling flare even under not very demanding conditions.

I read varying reports on the 1.2 as well, but reading between the lines a lot of that seems to be expectations.
I even bought a hood thinking that might help. I didn't help that much.

S

Shelby Lewis

My current compromise lens is the newest Sigma 50/1.4 in Canon EOS mount. This lens is very sharp wide open and has phenomenal bokeh. It is bigger and size-wise sits between the two Canon lenses. It is more expensive than the Canon version by about $100, but IMO it is worth every penny of that.
Hey Jack... how is focus with that lens... especially at various distances/apertures. I had it during my short stint with the a900 and thought it phenomenal. I keep hearing that, specifically with canon, focus shift is a real and consistent problem. Not so much with other brands.

I loved that lens and the look it gave. Buttah!

Care to elucidate?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jack... how is focus with that lens... especially at various distances/apertures. I had it during my short stint with the a900 and thought it phenomenal. I keep hearing that, specifically with canon, focus shift is a real and consistent problem. Not so much with other brands.

I loved that lens and the look it gave. Buttah!

Care to elucidate?
Hi Shelby,

I calibrated the focus for the Sigma wide open on my 1Ds3 at 3 meters and have found it to be spot on at a variety of distances, one of the reasons I am so high on it. At the time, I remember testing it for the next few smaller apertures and did not notice any significant focus shift issues...